FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Kaushal Shriyan
 
Default minicom

Hi,

I have added /dev/ttyS4 using mknod command on Ubuntu 8.04 Server.
mknod /dev/ttyS4 c 4 68
chown root.dialout /dev/ttyS4
chmod 600 /dev/ttyS4

when i run minicom i get minicom: cannot open /dev/ttyS4 : No such
device or address

Am i missing something

Thanks,

Kaushal

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-04-2009, 11:36 AM
Kaushal Shriyan
 
Default minicom

Hi,

I have added /dev/ttyS4 using mknod command on Ubuntu 8.04 Server.
mknod /dev/ttyS4 c 4 68
chown root.dialout /dev/ttyS4
chmod 600 /dev/ttyS4

when i run minicom i get minicom: cannot open /dev/ttyS4 : No such
device or address

Am i missing something

Thanks,

Kaushal

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Soren Hansen
 
Default minicom

On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 06:06:53PM +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> I have added /dev/ttyS4 using mknod command on Ubuntu 8.04 Server.
> mknod /dev/ttyS4 c 4 68
> chown root.dialout /dev/ttyS4
> chmod 600 /dev/ttyS4
>
> when i run minicom i get minicom: cannot open /dev/ttyS4 : No such
> device or address
>
> Am i missing something

Do you actually have 5 COM ports?

--
Soren Hansen |
Lead virtualisation engineer | Ubuntu Server Team
Canonical Ltd. | http://www.ubuntu.com/
--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 11-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Kaushal Shriyan
 
Default minicom

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Jim Tarvid <tarvid@ls.net> wrote:
> You should not have to create the dev node.
>
> Try
>
> root@venus:~# dmesg | grep ttyS
> [*** 1.828371] serial8250: ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
> [*** 1.828649] 00:07: ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
>
> and use that device.

Hi Jim

when i do # dmesg | grep ttyS
[ 32.371106] serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
[ 32.372030] 00:06: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
[ 32.372465] 0000:00:09.0: ttyS1 at I/O 0xd400 (irq = 16) is a XScale
[ 32.372734] 0000:00:09.0: ttyS2 at I/O 0xd800 (irq = 16) is a XScale
[ 32.373011] 0000:00:0a.0: ttyS3 at I/O 0xdc00 (irq = 17) is a XScale
#

so i cannot use /dev/ttyS4 ? Am i understanding it correctly ?

Thanks,

Kaushal
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 7:36 AM, Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have added /dev/ttyS4 using mknod command on Ubuntu 8.04 Server.
>> mknod /dev/ttyS4 c 4 68
>> chown root.dialout */dev/ttyS4
>> chmod 600 /dev/ttyS4
>>
>> when i run minicom i get minicom: cannot open /dev/ttyS4 : No such
>> device or address
>>
>> Am i missing something
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Kaushal
>>
>> --
>> ubuntu-server mailing list
>> ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
>> More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
>
>
>
> --
> In Peace and Love
> the down and to the left Reverend Jim Tarvid, PCA
> http://ls.net
> http://drupal.ls.net
> Latitude: 36.5831 Longitude: -81.0940
> Ubi caritas et amor Deus ibi est
> Abajo Y A La Izquierda Esta El Corazon
>

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 11-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Kaushal Shriyan
 
Default minicom

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Soren Hansen <soren@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 04, 2009 at 06:06:53PM +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>> I have added /dev/ttyS4 using mknod command on Ubuntu 8.04 Server.
>> mknod /dev/ttyS4 c 4 68
>> chown root.dialout */dev/ttyS4
>> chmod 600 /dev/ttyS4
>>
>> when i run minicom i get minicom: cannot open /dev/ttyS4 : No such
>> device or address
>>
>> Am i missing something
>
> Do you actually have 5 COM ports?
>

I have 4 PCI Serial COM Ports and one onboard serial port

Thanks.

Kaushal

> --
> Soren Hansen * * * * * * * * |
> Lead virtualisation engineer | Ubuntu Server Team
> Canonical Ltd. * * * * * * * | http://www.ubuntu.com/
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iEYEARECAAYFAkrxeOwACgkQonjfXui9pOOC3ACfdSNcl4bHof Lyz1GZ8Knis8Bu
> hUYAoKmNWDh7U/5hOwSMhJgcjm/8/vUD
> =/5mc
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
>

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 
Old 11-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Karl Auer
 
Default minicom

On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 18:06 +0530, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> when i run minicom i get minicom: cannot open /dev/ttyS4 : No such
> device or address

I hesitate to ask but - is there actually a serial port at that device
number (4, 68)?

My laptop has *no* serial ports, but it still has ttyS0,1,2,3 and I
think it still has the onboard hardware, even though there is no
external port. If I do what you did, I get the same error message.

What are you actually trying to do? Why do you want ttyS4?

Regards, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) +61-2-64957160 (h)
http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/ +61-428-957160 (mob)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-04-2009, 12:11 PM
Jim Tarvid
 
Default minicom

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 7:52 AM, Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Jim Tarvid <tarvid@ls.net> wrote:

> You should not have to create the dev node.

>

> Try

>

> root@venus:~# dmesg | grep ttyS

> [*** 1.828371] serial8250: ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

> [*** 1.828649] 00:07: ttyS1 at I/O 0x2f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A

>

> and use that device.



Hi Jim



when i do # dmesg | grep ttyS

[ * 32.371106] serial8250: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

[ * 32.372030] 00:06: ttyS0 at I/O 0x3f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A

[ * 32.372465] 0000:00:09.0: ttyS1 at I/O 0xd400 (irq = 16) is a XScale

[ * 32.372734] 0000:00:09.0: ttyS2 at I/O 0xd800 (irq = 16) is a XScale

[ * 32.373011] 0000:00:0a.0: ttyS3 at I/O 0xdc00 (irq = 17) is a XScale

#



so i cannot use /dev/ttyS4 ? Am i understanding it correctly ?



Thanks,



Kaushal

I'd try one of the others that does appear. I am not familiar with XScale so ttyS0 looks downhill.

*


> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 7:36 AM, Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com>

> wrote:

>>

>> Hi,

>>

>> I have added /dev/ttyS4 using mknod command on Ubuntu 8.04 Server.

>> mknod /dev/ttyS4 c 4 68

>> chown root.dialout */dev/ttyS4

>> chmod 600 /dev/ttyS4

>>

>> when i run minicom i get minicom: cannot open /dev/ttyS4 : No such

>> device or address

>>

>> Am i missing something

>>

>> Thanks,

>>

>> Kaushal

>>

>> --

>> ubuntu-server mailing list

>> ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com

>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server

>> More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam

>

>

>

> --

> In Peace and Love

> the down and to the left Reverend Jim Tarvid, PCA

> http://ls.net

> http://drupal.ls.net

> Latitude: 36.5831 Longitude: -81.0940

> Ubi caritas et amor Deus ibi est

> Abajo Y A La Izquierda Esta El Corazon

>



--
In Peace and Love
the down and to the left Reverend Jim Tarvid, PCA
http://ls.net
http://drupal.ls.net

Latitude: 36.5831 Longitude: -81.0940
Ubi caritas et amor Deus ibi est
Abajo Y A La Izquierda Esta El Corazon

--
ubuntu-server mailing list
ubuntu-server@lists.ubuntu.com
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-server
More info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:03 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org