Old 10-30-2009, 06:56 PM
"Noman Salim"

Default new on linux & ubuntu

Hi
* I m win xp user I want to install ubuntu in
my laptop can u tell me how can I install it on my winxp & how can I
uninstall. I downloaded ubuntu 9.10 alternate i386.iso kindly tell me how can I
install & uninstall it using winxp & where it will install I mean in C:
Drive or in D: drive? should I just double click & install the iso file or
what should I do?
*
*
Noman Salim

Old 11-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Winton Vandepeer

* I m win xp user I want to install ubuntu in
my laptop can u tell me how can I install it on my winxp & how can I
uninstall. I downloaded ubuntu 9.10 alternate i386.iso kindly tell me how can I
install & uninstall it using winxp & where it will install I mean in C:
Drive or in D: drive? should I just double click & install the iso file or
what should I do?
*
*
Noman Salim
Hi Norman,
first you must write the iso file to a CD as an image. Copying it to a CD as is will not work.
You can then install in its own partition, or use whole drive if you wish to leave Win XP.

Winton

Old 11-04-2009, 11:25 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Noman Salim wrote:
> Hi
> I m win xp user I want to install ubuntu in my laptop can u tell me how can I install it on my winxp & how can I uninstall. I downloaded ubuntu 9.10 alternate i386.iso kindly tell me how can I install & uninstall it using winxp & where it will install I mean in C: Drive or in D: drive? should I just double click & install the iso file or what should I do?
>

> Noman Salim

What you need to do is make another "partition" on your
laptop and load Ubuntu into that partition. Ubuntu comes with
a "loader" called Grub.

When you get it loaded, you can switch between Ubuntu and
windows. You do not need to remove Ubuntu. Just do not use it.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-04-2009, 11:27 AM
born

hi,you can download unetbootin ,use this tool install your ubuntu-910.iso on your USB key.

then change your BIOS setting,boot your lapton from USB key.

then you can install the ubuntu on your laptop.

notice:backup your data,make a free space for ubuntu.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:29 AM
Avi Greenbury

"Noman Salim" <nomansalim@live.com> wrote:
> I m win xp user I want to install ubuntu in my laptop can u tell me
> how can I install it on my winxp & how can I uninstall.

Ubuntu does not install on WinXP, it installs alongside it. It is an
alternative operating system - the same way WinXP and Win2000 are
different operating systems.

> I downloaded ubuntu 9.10 alternate i386.iso kindly tell me how can I
> install & uninstall it using winxp

You would use WinXP to burn the ISO to a CD using an ISO burner[0] and
boot from that CD. The installer will rearrange your hard drives to
make space to install Ubuntu on.
Before installing you can use Ubuntu as-is by just booting from the CD,
but it wont save any settings or files.

Another option, which doesn't involve the ISO file or CD burning, is to
use wubi.

[0] http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net is a good one

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk

Old 11-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Bas Jacobs

Hi there,

there is also a tool called "Wubi" which allows you to install Ubuntu from inside windows. While you install it it resizes your Windows partition and creates one for ubuntu (you can configure this from the installer). If you are new to ubuntu i would recommend you to read a bit on the wubi installer (http://wubi-installer.org/). Also a lot of information can be found on the docs site (https://help.ubuntu.com/)* and on the forums (www.ubuntuforums.org).

I wish you the best with your new system, it will probably truly open your eyes ,