Old 11-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Dotan Cohen

Default How to call a move from 9.04 to 9.10 as a new install?

How should one call a move from Ubuntu 9.04 to Ubuntu 9.10 as a new
install? The word "upgrade" seems reserved for the procedure of
replacing 9.04 files with 9.10 files. But in my case I wiped the drive
and reinstalled everything, then restored personal files from backup.
What is the term for this?

Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 11-04-2009, 11:00 AM
Joseph

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> How should one call a move from Ubuntu 9.04 to Ubuntu 9.10 as a new
> install? The word "upgrade" seems reserved for the procedure of
> replacing 9.04 files with 9.10 files. But in my case I wiped the drive
> and reinstalled everything, then restored personal files from backup.
> What is the term for this?
>
> Thanks.

Uhmm... Downgrading... (or Degrading?)
Seems that would be the best term... for lack of a better one.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Dotan Cohen

> Uhmm... * Downgrading... * (or Degrading?)
> Seems that would be the best term... * for lack of a better one.

I think that I was not clear. I changed my operating system from
version N to version N+1. However, I did not use the internal
"upgrade" function, rather, I wiped the drive and installed version
N+1 as a new install. I then restored user files from backup.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

Old 11-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

> install? The word "upgrade" seems reserved for the
> procedure of
> replacing 9.04 files with 9.10 files. But in my case I
> wiped the drive
> and reinstalled everything, then restored personal files
> from backup.
> What is the term for this?

If I'm understabding you correctly, that's what I call a fresh install with restoration of personal files from backup.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Nils Kassube

Dotan Cohen wrote (without attribution):
> > Uhmm... Downgrading... (or Degrading?)
> > Seems that would be the best term... for lack of a better one.
>
> I think that I was not clear. I changed my operating system from
> version N to version N+1. However, I did not use the internal
> "upgrade" function, rather, I wiped the drive and installed version
> N+1 as a new install. I then restored user files from backup.

I think you missed the point - some people think that 9.10 is worse than
9.04 and therefore they would consider it a downgrade.

Nils

Old 11-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Rashkae

Dotan Cohen wrote:
> How should one call a move from Ubuntu 9.04 to Ubuntu 9.10 as a new
> install? The word "upgrade" seems reserved for the procedure of
> replacing 9.04 files with 9.10 files. But in my case I wiped the drive
> and reinstalled everything, then restored personal files from backup.
> What is the term for this?
>
> Thanks.

That's called a fresh install.