Old 11-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Aart Koelewijn

Default Chancing IPs

Hello list,

in my network I have an old laptop with Ubuntu 8.04 running 24/7 for a
measurement project. This laptop has a WiFi connection with my router.
Normally it will get an IP from the DHCP range off the router,
192.168.nn.mm. This is always the same IP. But every so often, perhaps
after a week or two weeks it will change its IP to 169.254.7.206 and it
will lose its connection to a database outside my home where the data are
combined with data from other places. The data of course are still saved
in a database in the laptop itself. I also have a ssh-connection from my
desktop to this laptop to monitor what is happening on the laptop. This
connection is lost too.

I wonder how this change of IP can take place and how I can pretend it.

As the best the laptop can do is a web-64 protection and the least the
router will accept is a web-128 protection the wifi connection is
unprotected. The router will only check if the mac-address is one of the
allowed mac-addresses.

Aart

Old 11-04-2009, 10:50 AM
Artur Frydel

On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Aart Koelewijn wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> in my network I have an old laptop with Ubuntu 8.04 running 24/7 for a
> measurement project. This laptop has a WiFi connection with my router.
> Normally it will get an IP from the DHCP range off the router,
> 192.168.nn.mm. This is always the same IP. But every so often, perhaps
> after a week or two weeks it will change its IP to 169.254.7.206 and it

Maybe it's a problem with dhcp lease? Can't you set manual ip addressing?

> router will accept is a web-128 protection the wifi connection is
> unprotected. The router will only check if the mac-address is one of the
> allowed mac-addresses.

WEP protectiong is nothing. Any n00b can crack this by a piece of
software. In a couple of minutes.
Use WPA, or make sure, that your network will be hacked (earlier or
later).

--
Artur 'bzyk' Frydel
"Always look on the bright side of life."

Old 11-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Aart Koelewijn

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 12:50:57 +0100, Artur Frydel wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
>
>> Hello list,
>>
>> in my network I have an old laptop with Ubuntu 8.04 running 24/7 for a
>> measurement project. This laptop has a WiFi connection with my router.
>> Normally it will get an IP from the DHCP range off the router,
>> 192.168.nn.mm. This is always the same IP. But every so often, perhaps
>> after a week or two weeks it will change its IP to 169.254.7.206 and it
>

> Maybe it's a problem with dhcp lease? Can't you set manual ip
> addressing?

It seems unlikely it has something to do with a dhcp lease when it will
function well for such a long time. At the moment all my wired
connections have a manual ip, all wireless use dhcp, but I can try to
change that for this laptop.

>> router will accept is a web-128 protection the wifi connection is
>> unprotected. The router will only check if the mac-address is one of
>> the allowed mac-addresses.
>>

> WEP protectiong is nothing. Any n00b can crack this by a piece of
> software. In a couple of minutes.
> Use WPA, or make sure, that your network will be hacked (earlier or
> later).

I know, but at the moment the laptop can't do anything but WEP 64, I
would have to get a new USB-WiFi dongle to be able to use WPA, and there
seem to be a lot of those dongles that don't work with Linux. At the
moment I monitor the connection dayly, it has been up unprotected for
almost a year and no one has tried to break in yet.

Aart

Old 11-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Aart Koelewijn <aart@mtack.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> in my network I have an old laptop with Ubuntu 8.04 running 24/7 for a
> measurement project. This laptop has a WiFi connection with my router.
> Normally it will get an IP from the DHCP range off the router,
> 192.168.nn.mm. This is always the same IP. But every so often, perhaps
> after a week or two weeks it will change its IP to 169.254.7.206 and it
> will lose its connection to a database outside my home where the data are
> combined with data from other places. The data of course are still saved
> in a database in the laptop itself. I also have a ssh-connection from my
> desktop to this laptop to monitor what is happening on the laptop. This
> connection is lost too.
> I wonder how this change of IP can take place and how I can pretend it.
> As the best the laptop can do is a web-64 protection and the least the
> router will accept is a web-128 protection the wifi connection is
> unprotected. The router will only check if the mac-address is one of the
> allowed mac-addresses.

It must be your dhcp lease that is expiring and is having trouble
being renewed because a 169.254.x.x address is self-assigned when when
a dhcp lease cannot be acquired.

Your dhcp lease must be one-week long and the renewal must be failing
from time to time. You can check the length of your lease with
# ps -ef | grep dhc
and then looking at the contents of the lease file (defined after the
"-lf" in the output of the command above).

Old 11-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Tom H

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Aart Koelewijn <aart@mtack.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>> in my network I have an old laptop with Ubuntu 8.04 running 24/7 for a
>> measurement project. This laptop has a WiFi connection with my router.
>> Normally it will get an IP from the DHCP range off the router,
>> 192.168.nn.mm. This is always the same IP. But every so often, perhaps
>> after a week or two weeks it will change its IP to 169.254.7.206 and it
>> will lose its connection to a database outside my home where the data are
>> combined with data from other places. The data of course are still saved
>> in a database in the laptop itself. I also have a ssh-connection from my
>> desktop to this laptop to monitor what is happening on the laptop. This
>> connection is lost too.
>> I wonder how this change of IP can take place and how I can pretend it.
>> As the best the laptop can do is a web-64 protection and the least the
>> router will accept is a web-128 protection the wifi connection is
>> unprotected. The router will only check if the mac-address is one of the
>> allowed mac-addresses.
>
> It must be your dhcp lease that is expiring and is having trouble
> being renewed because a 169.254.x.x address is self-assigned when when
> a dhcp lease cannot be acquired.
>
> Your dhcp lease must be one-week long and the renewal must be failing
> from time to time. You can check the length of your lease with
> # ps -ef | grep dhc
> and then looking at the contents of the lease file (defined after the
> "-lf" in the output of the command above).

You can also check whether it is a dhcp problem with
# grep -i "no dhcpoffers" syslog*

Old 11-04-2009, 03:58 PM
NoOp

On 11/04/2009 03:43 AM, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> in my network I have an old laptop with Ubuntu 8.04 running 24/7 for a
> measurement project. This laptop has a WiFi connection with my router.
> Normally it will get an IP from the DHCP range off the router,
> 192.168.nn.mm. This is always the same IP. But every so often, perhaps
> after a week or two weeks it will change its IP to 169.254.7.206 and it
> will lose its connection to a database outside my home where the data are
> combined with data from other places.

I _think_ the IP address is coming from Avahi; it loses it's connection
& when it no longer has a DHCP IP, the interface is assigned a
non-routed reserved local IP address (169.254.x.x).

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ZeroConfNetworking

$ cat /etc/networks
# symbolic names for networks, see networks(5) for more information
link-local 169.254.0.0

Given your configuration, I'd just go ahead and configure the machine
for a fixed IP.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Aart Koelewijn

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 08:58:26 -0800, NoOp wrote:

> On 11/04/2009 03:43 AM, Aart Koelewijn wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> in my network I have an old laptop with Ubuntu 8.04 running 24/7 for a
>> measurement project. This laptop has a WiFi connection with my router.
>> Normally it will get an IP from the DHCP range off the router,
>> 192.168.nn.mm. This is always the same IP. But every so often, perhaps
>> after a week or two weeks it will change its IP to 169.254.7.206 and it
>> will lose its connection to a database outside my home where the data
>> are combined with data from other places.
>
> I _think_ the IP address is coming from Avahi; it loses it's connection
> & when it no longer has a DHCP IP, the interface is assigned a
> non-routed reserved local IP address (169.254.x.x).
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ZeroConfNetworking
>
> $ cat /etc/networks
> # symbolic names for networks, see networks(5) for more information
> link-local 169.254.0.0
>
> Given your configuration, I'd just go ahead and configure the machine
> for a fixed IP.

Thanks every one for the help. The common opinion seems to be that it has
to do whith the dhcp lease. I checked the lease-time, it is 864000, so
that could be it. I will change to a fixed IP, but at the moment have
more urgent problems (after upgrading an other laptop from 9.04 to 9.10 I
lost all network connections, wired and wireless. I will have to study
that somewhat more, but if I can't find a solution I will post about it
in a separate mail)

Aart