Old 11-03-2009, 09:32 PM
"Kevin Ireson"

Default 416 errors are starting to show up

Hello,

I have a sever running Apache/2.0.55 (Ubuntu).

have noted recently in logs for several domains on this server 406 errors
showing up.

416 /index.html (49 times in the
past 4 weeks)
416 /hotels/2star/cheap.html (4 times in the past 4
weeks)
*
I am a novice with Ubuntu thus was looking for some
information about*what this error is and perhaps what is causing it.

*
I have searched for information about 416 ubuntu,
which is how I found this list. However, what the message means and what is
causing it I have not found yet.
*
I hope you can help.
*
Kevin I

www.hotels-london-hotel.com

*

Old 11-04-2009, 08:11 AM
"Kevin Ireson"

Hello,

I have a sever running Apache/2.0.55 (Ubuntu).

I have noted recently in logs for several domains on this server 406

Old 11-04-2009, 08:16 AM
Colin Law

2009/11/4 Kevin Ireson <kevin@york-united-kingdom.co.uk>:
> Hello,
>
> I have a sever running Apache/2.0.55 (Ubuntu).
>
> I have noted recently in logs for several domains on this server 406
> errors showing up.
>
> 416 /index.html (49 times in the past 4 weeks)
>
> I am a novice with Ubuntu thus was looking for some information about
> what this error is and perhaps what is causing it.

This may help, or it may not
http://www.askapache.com/htaccess/apache-status-code-headers-errordocument.html
Colin

Old 11-04-2009, 08:31 AM
"Kevin Ireson"

Thanks Colin,

At least it gives me a clue. I will investigate further.

Kevin I

http://www.hotels-london-hotel.com

technical support, not for general discussions"
<ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Subject: Re: 416 errors are starting to show up

Old 11-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Ian Coetzee

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Kevin Ireson
<kevin@york-united-kingdom.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks Colin,
>
> At least it gives me a clue. I will investigate further.
>
> Kevin I

Have you tried asking this question on the apache mailing list at
http://www.apache.org/foundation/mailinglists.html ?

as a sidenote I have noted that the 416 error message is a *client*
side error see below

according to http://www.addedbytes.com/apache/http-status-codes-explained/

Client Error
<snip>
* 416 - Requested Range Not Satisfiable
A 416 status code indicates that the server was unable to fulfill the
request. This may be, for example, because the client asked for the
800th-900th bytes of a document, but the document was only 200 bytes
long.

and

according to http://www.websitepulse.com/kb/4xx_HTTP_status_codes.html

416 - Requested Range Not Satisfiable
A server usually returns a response with 416-status code if a request
included a Range request-header field, and none of the range-specifier
values in this field overlap the current extent of the selected
resource, and the request did not include an If-Range request-header
field. For example if the resource is an image file and has 1000
bytes, and the Range requested is 500-1500, then it cannot be
satisfied.