Old 11-04-2009, 04:57 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

Default Multiple Options in grub

--- On Tue, 11/3/09, vijay shanker <vijay.shad@gmail.com> wrote:

> From: vijay shanker <vijay.shad@gmail.com>
> Subject: Multiple Options in grub
> To: "Ubuntu user technical support, not for general discussions" <ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
> Date: Tuesday, November 3, 2009, 11:06 PM
> Hi all;
>
> There is something i need to share and ask for your
> comments
>
> I have been using UBUNTU for many years; But still a
> partial user; dont have a in depth knowledge.
>
> On my box i first installed ubuntu 8. And when it was
> announced to release of 9.0.24, i upgraded to
> the*latest*version of ubuntu. And Now i am upgraded to
> 9.10
>

> Now when my box boots it gives me a lot of
> options to
> choose.*-----------------Ubutntu 9.10
> , karnel 2.6.31-14-generic
>
> Ubutntu 9.10 , karnel 2.6.31-14-generic (recovery
> mode)Ubutntu 9.10 , karnel
> 2.6.26-16-genericUbutntu 9.10 , karnel
> 2.6.26-16-generic (recovery mode)Ubutntu 9.10 ,
> karnel 2.6.28-15-generic
>
> Ubutntu 9.10 , karnel 2.6.28-15-generic (recovery
> mode)Ubutntu 9.10 , karnel 2.6.26-7-generic
> (recovery mode)Ubutntu 9.10 , karnel
> 2.6.26-7-generic (recovery
> mode)---------------
>

> Of course, i choose top one form thee
> list.

That's usually the best choice.
*
> Can any body describe the situation for me?*Is
> there any way i can go and configure the options?

It appears you have kernels(not karnels) from the earlier version you upgraded from. Not sure how it happened though as don't know exactly how you upgraded.

*Does my
> system has 4 kernels as options; if yes i must remove all
> old kernel?

Yes, you have all the kernels shown installed. You do not have to remove any of them and it's always advisable to keep at least one of the latest old kernels in case the latest kernel fails and you can't boot from it. You then can boot up from the other kernel and make repairs.
If you must trim the list down you can purge the oldest kernels or edit /boot/grub/menu.lst assuming you have the ext3 file system and grub-legacy installed instead of ext4 and grub2 installed.
To purge a kernel do:

sudo aptitude purge <kernel name> or use synaptic package manager to completely remove the kernel.
Better run sudo update-grub after removing the kernels to update menu.lst.

To edit /boot/grub/menu.lst then do:

sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst

Then comment out the kernels you don't wan't to see.
This wont remove the old kernels but you wont see them on grubs startup selection. Also run sudo update-grub after modifying/editing menu.lst.

If there is something you don't understand then post back with your questions as you can make the system unbootable by modifying menu.lst incorrectly.

If you are using ext4 and grub2, it's more complicated but can be done. Let the list know if you are using grub2.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-04-2009, 05:14 AM
vijay shanker

Hi Leo,
Yes you are right it is*kernels. *

My questions:

1> I used*synaptic package manager to update to latest version of UBUNTU. When i opened this tool; it suggested me to upgrade and i did.

2> What *sort of*implications are there of having multiple kernel options other then having a fall back option.
3> why UBUNTU does not update kernels; instead of reinstalling the latest version?*

4> Is there will be any problem with my machine if i uninstall.
In the mean time i have read the tutorials at ubuntu site for doing the changes you said. and fully understand then. As i think of. *

Regards,
Vijay Shanker Dubey

Old 11-04-2009, 05:21 AM
Tom H

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 7:06 AM, vijay shanker <vijay.shad@gmail.com> wrote:

> There is something i need to share and ask for your comments

> I have been using UBUNTU for many years; But still a partial user; dont have
> a in depth knowledge.

> On my box i first installed ubuntu 8. And when it was announced to release
> of 9.0.24, i upgraded to the*latest*version of ubuntu. And Now i am upgraded
> to 9.10

> Now when my box boots it gives me a lot of options to choose.

> Ubutntu 9.10 , karnel 2.6.31-14-generic
> Ubutntu 9.10 , karnel 2.6.31-14-generic (recovery mode)
> Ubutntu 9.10 , karnel 2.6.26-16-generic
> Ubutntu 9.10 , karnel 2.6.26-16-generic (recovery mode)
> Ubutntu 9.10 , karnel 2.6.28-15-generic
> Ubutntu 9.10 , karnel 2.6.28-15-generic (recovery mode)
> Ubutntu 9.10 , karnel 2.6.26-7-generic (recovery mode)
> Ubutntu 9.10 , karnel 2.6.26-7-generic (recovery mode)

> Of course, i choose top one form thee list.

> Can any body describe the situation for me?*Is there any way i can go and
> configure the options? *Does my system has 4 kernels as options; if yes i
> must remove all old kernel?

I would like to echo what Leonard has said. You have all the kernels
installed and you can remove some of them. You should keep 2.6.31-14
and an older kernel (I would choose 2.6.28-15 but I am sure that you
would get more opinions than you have kernels if you asked any Linux
list which kernels to keep).

To get the package names:
# aptitude search linux-image | grep ^i

To purge your unwanted kernels (for example):
# aptitude purge linux-image-2.6.26-7-generic
# aptitude purge linux-image-2.6.26-16-generic

Do not:
# aptitude purge linux-image-generic

Or:
# aptitude purge linux-image-2.6.31-14-generic

Once you have run the "aptitude purge" commands:
# update-grub
whether you are using grub 1 or grub 2
and either /boot/grub/menu.lst or /boot/grub/grub.cfg will be updated.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:29 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> manager to update to latest version of UBUNTU. When i opened
> this tool; it suggested me to upgrade and i did.

Ok, shouldn't be a problem.

> 2> What *sort of*implications are there of
> having multiple kernel options other then having a fall back
> option.

No implication unless you are short or room on the HDD. The kernel and its modules can take up significant room.

> 3> why UBUNTU does not update kernels;
> instead of reinstalling the latest version?*

I don't know the answer to that except that I think the kernel and version are optimized to each other.

> 4> Is there will be any problem with my
> machine if i uninstall.

If you mean uninstall kernels, then no as long as you keep the last two or more kernels. If you mean to uninstall the operating system version then you wont have an OS unless you originally kept windose on the HDD or have some other OS still installed. From your post I assumed you only had version 9.04 and upgraded to 9.10.

> In the mean time i have read the tutorials at
> ubuntu site for doing the changes you said. and fully
> understand then. As i think of. *

Good luck, then. FWIW, I have several versions or Ubuntu and Vista on my hard drive, all are separate installs on their own partitions and have many kernel entries for each ubuntu OS all without any problems. There is no real need to remove any kernel from the grub list unless you are critically short of room on your hard disk.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-04-2009, 03:29 PM
vijay shanker

Thanks Leonard
Fully satisfied. I have changed the grub settings. Now it is the way i wanted it to be
Thanks again.
Regards,
Vijay Shanker Dubey

Ph: +91-9818311884

Old 11-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> Fully satisfied. I have changed the grub
> settings. Now it is the way i wanted it to be
> Thanks again.
>
> Regards,
> Vijay Shanker Dubey

Glad to be of help and that you are satisfied. Enjoy Ubuntu.