Old 11-04-2009, 03:19 AM
Willis Taylor

Default Karmic on a vista lap top

I need to dual boot an elderly gentleman and I believe, from all the
horror stories that there must be some special considerations t be
considered. Any thoughts o this install will be appreciated. This
gentleman has purchased a Compaq lap top loaded with Vista.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:31 AM
Tab Gilbert

I need to dual boot an elderly gentleman and I believe, from all the

horror stories that there must be some special considerations t be

considered. *Any thoughts o this install will be appreciated. *This

gentleman has purchased a Compaq lap top loaded with Vista.

I would suggest giving the LiveCD a whirl to make sure everything works in accordance with your specifications.* I did a fresh install of Karmic on a dual boot Dell laptop that already had Jaunty and Vista on it.* The install went fine and it fired up without any problems.* Only reason I did not nuke Vista was because of my iPod Touch.* Couple of minor bugs in Karmic but everyone OS has minor bugs.* I am probably at the advanced novice stage in terms of experience.

tab

Old 11-04-2009, 04:21 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

> horror stories that there must be some special
> considerations t be
> considered.* Any thoughts o this install will be
> appreciated.* This
> gentleman has purchased a Compaq lap top loaded with
> Vista.

Assuming you want to keep vista, then defrag the HDD and be sure to remove any recovery image at the end of the HDD. I think this is done in windoze but don't remember how. Removing the image file should be done first before defraging. Once defragged use gparted or you favorite partition tool and shrink the vista partition to a reasonable usable size. Use the free space to make partitions for the Linux OSes you may want to install. I believe it's been said on the list that 30GB is plenty of room for Ubuntu. Create an ext3 or ext4 file system on the partition depending on which Ubuntu version you will install or one for whatever fs you are familiar with and want to use. Then use the live CD or alt CD to install on the partition you set up. I prefer the alt CD but the live CD will allow you to check if all the peripheral devices will work out of the box. I would still make and iso image of the alt CD because I find it easier to use and allows more
selections, YMMV. You may want to run "sudo update-grub" from the CLI before rebooting just in case.
That's the procedure I generall use on a windoze PC to install linux on. If there is something you don't understand then post back you question and someone will help. Good luck. You could also post or google on all the included peripherals on the laptop for more info.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-04-2009, 11:51 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Willis Taylor wrote:
> I need to dual boot an elderly gentleman and I believe, from all the
> horror stories that there must be some special considerations t be
> considered. Any thoughts o this install will be appreciated. This
> gentleman has purchased a Compaq lap top loaded with Vista.

I have a laptop from Compaq/HP that came with Vista. Vista
has all the 160 GB of hard drive space. It took some time with
a i386 LiveCD using Gpart to select the amount of space, about
100 GB, to remove this and form a new partition that is shown
as /dev/sda2 and you want it at the end of the hard drive. You
do this with the same Gpart and it takes time.

When done make another 6GB partition to put Ubuntu. I have 3
versions of Ubuntu on my laptop.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI