Old 11-04-2009, 01:25 AM
Knute Johnson

Default Sun Java in 9.10?

I installed xubuntu 9.10 from disk to my laptop. As I usually do I
installed Sun's Java. I noticed after playing with it that it was one
revision out of date (it is 1.6u15 and current is 1.6u16). I did an
update and there was nothing new so I looked at the Synaptic Package
Manager and found 1.6u15 but not 1.6u16. I un-installed it thinking
maybe it was just confused and reloaded the package list but still no
1.6u16. I then checked my other computer that was upgraded from 9.04 to
9.10 and it had 1.6u16 and the Synaptic Package Manager even showed
1.6u16. Is there some reason that an install from a disk would have
different packages available? Any idea how to fix this?

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson
knute2009@knutejohnson.com

Old 11-04-2009, 02:27 AM
NoOp

On 11/03/2009 06:25 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
> I installed xubuntu 9.10 from disk to my laptop. As I usually do I
> installed Sun's Java. I noticed after playing with it that it was one
> revision out of date (it is 1.6u15 and current is 1.6u16). I did an
> update and there was nothing new so I looked at the Synaptic Package
> Manager and found 1.6u15 but not 1.6u16. I un-installed it thinking
> maybe it was just confused and reloaded the package list but still no
> 1.6u16. I then checked my other computer that was upgraded from 9.04 to
> 9.10 and it had 1.6u16 and the Synaptic Package Manager even showed
> 1.6u16. Is there some reason that an install from a disk would have
> different packages available? Any idea how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=names&keywords=sun-java6-jre
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sun-java6
shows -15 for karmic. Your upgrade from jaunty already had -16, so the
upgrade most likely left it in place.

Also see (and add comments):
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sun-java6/+bug/454876

Old 11-04-2009, 04:48 AM
Knute Johnson

NoOp wrote:
> On 11/03/2009 06:25 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
>> I installed xubuntu 9.10 from disk to my laptop. As I usually do I
>> installed Sun's Java. I noticed after playing with it that it was one
>> revision out of date (it is 1.6u15 and current is 1.6u16). I did an
>> update and there was nothing new so I looked at the Synaptic Package
>> Manager and found 1.6u15 but not 1.6u16. I un-installed it thinking
>> maybe it was just confused and reloaded the package list but still no
>> 1.6u16. I then checked my other computer that was upgraded from 9.04 to
>> 9.10 and it had 1.6u16 and the Synaptic Package Manager even showed
>> 1.6u16. Is there some reason that an install from a disk would have
>> different packages available? Any idea how to fix this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>

> http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?searchon=names&keywords=sun-java6-jre
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sun-java6
> shows -15 for karmic. Your upgrade from jaunty already had -16, so the
> upgrade most likely left it in place.
>
> Also see (and add comments):
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sun-java6/+bug/454876

Thanks!