Old 11-03-2009, 11:18 PM
"Marcelo Magno T. Sales"

Default xv driver problem

People,

Since I upgraded from Jaunty to Karmic, I have the following problem
when playing videos with the xv driver:

If I run kaffeine, dragon player or smplayer (using the xv driver), they
all show the progress bar as if the video was playing. I can hear the
video, but no image is displayed. If I run smplayer using the "gl"
driver, it works. The other two, as far as I know, can't be configured
to use other drivers.

If I run these applications with desktop effects on, the area where the
video should be displayed is shown as a transparent gray rectangle. With
desktop effects off, it is a solid black rectangle.

If I run mplayer or xine directly, without embedding them in a frontend
like the ones listed above, they work ok with the xv driver. Gnome
Player runs fine too.

I have created a new user to test this and with this new account I can
run all the above mentioned applications with the xv driver and the
videos are displayed ok.

So, there is some problem with my regular user account's profile, but I
have been unable to find out what configuration file(s) is causing this
problem. There are too much customizations on this profile, so I would
like to avoid recreating it from a fresh one, if possible. These
problems didn't happen when I was using Jaunty. My video card is a
nvidia 9600 GT and I'm running the proprietary drivers from ubuntu's
repos. I've installed kubuntu-restricted-extras and have the medibuntu
repository enabled.

Any idea on what may be causing this?

Thanks,

Marcelo

Old 11-05-2009, 12:13 PM
"Marcelo Magno T. Sales"

Em Terça-feira 03 Novembro 2009, Marcelo Magno T. Sales escreveu:
> People,
>
> Since I upgraded from Jaunty to Karmic, I have the following problem
> when playing videos with the xv driver:
>
> If I run kaffeine, dragon player or smplayer (using the xv driver),
> they all show the progress bar as if the video was playing. I can
> hear the video, but no image is displayed. If I run smplayer using
> the "gl" driver, it works. The other two, as far as I know, can't be
> configured to use other drivers.
>
> If I run these applications with desktop effects on, the area where
> the video should be displayed is shown as a transparent gray
> rectangle. With desktop effects off, it is a solid black rectangle.
>
> If I run mplayer or xine directly, without embedding them in a
> frontend like the ones listed above, they work ok with the xv
> driver. Gnome Player runs fine too.
>
> I have created a new user to test this and with this new account I
> can run all the above mentioned applications with the xv driver and
> the videos are displayed ok.
>
> So, there is some problem with my regular user account's profile, but
> I have been unable to find out what configuration file(s) is causing
> this problem. There are too much customizations on this profile, so
> I would like to avoid recreating it from a fresh one, if possible.
> These problems didn't happen when I was using Jaunty. My video card
> is a nvidia 9600 GT and I'm running the proprietary drivers from
> ubuntu's repos. I've installed kubuntu-restricted-extras and have
> the medibuntu repository enabled.
>
> Any idea on what may be causing this?

Problem solved. I had cairo-dock (with opengl) configured to autostart
when I logged in KDE. After executing cairo-dock, the xv driver no long
works in smplayer, kaffeine, gwenview and others until I log out and log
in again. Removing cairo-dock from autostart has solved the problem.
I will file a bug against cairo-dock.

[]'s
Marcelo