Old 11-03-2009, 01:24 PM
Keith Clark

Default sbackup

I am using Simple Backup to setup my computer systems backups and it was
working fine until two days ago. It successfully backed up on October
26,27,28,29,30 and 31. However the 31st was the last successful backup,
nothing further.

I found this in my system log so I know it is at least trying to run:

Nov 3 03:00:01 bookworm-acerdesktop /USR/SBIN/CRON[9341]: (root) CMD
(if [ -x /usr/sbin/sbackupd ]; then /usr/sbin/sbackupd; fi

I'm not sure how to diagnose the problem from here though.

I use this same method of backing up on my other 4 computers and they
are working just fine, it is just this one. It also happens to be the
only one that is updating over the internet and not over the local lan.

Keith

Old 11-03-2009, 03:03 PM
Fred Roller

Keith Clark wrote:
> I am using Simple Backup to setup my computer systems backups and it was
> working fine until two days ago. It successfully backed up on October
> 26,27,28,29,30 and 31. However the 31st was the last successful backup,
> nothing further.
>
> I found this in my system log so I know it is at least trying to run:
>
> Nov 3 03:00:01 bookworm-acerdesktop /USR/SBIN/CRON[9341]: (root) CMD
> (if [ -x /usr/sbin/sbackupd ]; then /usr/sbin/sbackupd; fi
>
> I'm not sure how to diagnose the problem from here though.
>
> I use this same method of backing up on my other 4 computers and they
> are working just fine, it is just this one. It also happens to be the
> only one that is updating over the internet and not over the local lan.
>
> Keith

I know this seems obvious but have you checked the path to the systems
internet destination? If the other systems are working (locally) and
the log shows the broken system is trying, then it could be simply
timing out from a bad connection. Just a thought.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple. If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."

Old 11-03-2009, 03:18 PM
Keith Clark

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 11:03 -0500, Fred Roller wrote:
> Keith Clark wrote:
> > I am using Simple Backup to setup my computer systems backups and it was
> > working fine until two days ago. It successfully backed up on October
> > 26,27,28,29,30 and 31. However the 31st was the last successful backup,
> > nothing further.
> >
> > I found this in my system log so I know it is at least trying to run:
> >
> > Nov 3 03:00:01 bookworm-acerdesktop /USR/SBIN/CRON[9341]: (root) CMD
> > (if [ -x /usr/sbin/sbackupd ]; then /usr/sbin/sbackupd; fi
> >
> > I'm not sure how to diagnose the problem from here though.
> >
> > I use this same method of backing up on my other 4 computers and they
> > are working just fine, it is just this one. It also happens to be the
> > only one that is updating over the internet and not over the local lan.
> >
> > Keith
> >

> I know this seems obvious but have you checked the path to the systems
> internet destination? If the other systems are working (locally) and
> the log shows the broken system is trying, then it could be simply
> timing out from a bad connection. Just a thought.

Actually Fred, the problem is that the power to the server was cut
during the night and the computer was automatically rebooted. This in
turn caused ssh keys problems with sbackup.

I did rm /home/keithclark/.ssh/known_hosts and now I'll wait until
tonight to see if this resolves my issue.

This was not my personal discovery! I found this after doing some
extensive searching:

http://nikolajlindberg.blogspot.com/2008/04/automatic-simple-backups-sbackup.html

Keith

Old 11-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Keith Clark

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 11:18 -0500, Keith Clark wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 11:03 -0500, Fred Roller wrote:
> > Keith Clark wrote:
> > > I am using Simple Backup to setup my computer systems backups and it was
> > > working fine until two days ago. It successfully backed up on October
> > > 26,27,28,29,30 and 31. However the 31st was the last successful backup,
> > > nothing further.
> > >
> > > I found this in my system log so I know it is at least trying to run:
> > >
> > > Nov 3 03:00:01 bookworm-acerdesktop /USR/SBIN/CRON[9341]: (root) CMD
> > > (if [ -x /usr/sbin/sbackupd ]; then /usr/sbin/sbackupd; fi
> > >
> > > I'm not sure how to diagnose the problem from here though.
> > >
> > > I use this same method of backing up on my other 4 computers and they
> > > are working just fine, it is just this one. It also happens to be the
> > > only one that is updating over the internet and not over the local lan.
> > >
> > > Keith
> > >

> > I know this seems obvious but have you checked the path to the systems
> > internet destination? If the other systems are working (locally) and
> > the log shows the broken system is trying, then it could be simply
> > timing out from a bad connection. Just a thought.
>
> Actually Fred, the problem is that the power to the server was cut
> during the night and the computer was automatically rebooted. This in
> turn caused ssh keys problems with sbackup.
>
> I did rm /home/keithclark/.ssh/known_hosts and now I'll wait until
> tonight to see if this resolves my issue.
>
> This was not my personal discovery! I found this after doing some
> extensive searching:
>
> http://nikolajlindberg.blogspot.com/2008/04/automatic-simple-backups-sbackup.html
>
> Keith

Ok, that did not work either. I have also tried to use ftp instead of
ssh and no luck either.

I'm not sure how to go about troubleshooting this one any further!

Keith