Old 10-30-2009, 11:24 AM
Naja Melan

Default ubuntu installer does not recognize partions on usb hard drive

hi,

I have the following setup:

An external usb hard disk partitioned with

boot1
boot2
lvm encrypted partition holding:
*** swap
*** system1
*** system2
*** data -> mounted as /home/Desktop

portable -> ntfs partition

I created this with the alternate (text based installer of hardy). Hardy now uses boot1 and system1. Now I thought it was time to try a new version of ubuntu (on boot2 and system2), but neither the text based or the live cd installers, nor gparted recognize the partitions on this drive (they only show sdb). Gparted shows sdb entirely as unallocated space.

In the live cd, I manage to get lvm2 and cryptsetup installed and it will then recognize the encrypted partitions, but not boot1 and boot2.

On the screenshot you see that palimpest does see them, and in nautilus I can also mount these partitions, and use them.

Now my simple question, how do I go about installing ubuntu 9.10 without having to find a drive to back everything up and repartition this disk?

I would like to keep the dual boot, to see all the software packages I have installed in hardy, and the tweaks, and to have a fallback for certain packages if I don't get them working in 9.10 immediately, and on top of that my data partition is rather large, and I don't have enough diskspace to back it all up.

thanks in advance,
naja

*

Old 11-03-2009, 10:54 AM