Old 11-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Nasa

Default Touch Screen Calibration

----- "Nasa" <nasa01@comcast.net> wrote:

> ----- "Andrew Farris" <flyindragon1@aol.com> wrote:

> can
> > run
> then
> > soon as
> > anyone
> look
> > for

> > > So,
> > >
> > > I am the first to come across this...? I would love some
> > suggestions...
> >
> > Sorry, I dont have any touchscreens, so I can't be of much help...
> > but
> > have you tried running the calibration program from a terminal as
> > root
> > (i.e. with sudo)? I dont know if that would actually help, but I've
> > had
> > to do that before with the nVidia settings manager to get it to
> save
> > things like screen resolution. Haven't had that problem in a while,
> > but
> > it's worth a try.
Well,

Gave it a try and still no love... So I waited until the new release and tried again.
Still no joy. Has anyone else run into this problem, or know where I should go to
look for a solution?

Nasa

Old 11-14-2009, 11:08 AM
Wolfgang

I experienced the same problems on an Gigabyte T1028X Netbook:
calibration works but is lost after next reboot.
What I found out about it:

The calibration software writes a file /etc/evtouch/config with the
calibration data. When looking in the logfile /var/log/Xorg.0.log it
seems that the driver does not use this configuration data, because
there were other values for MinX, MaxX etc. mentioned as there are in
the config file.

There is a startup-script /etc/init.d/xserver-xorg-input-evtouch.
This script does not really load a daemon but sets only the
configuration data for the evtouch driver from the config file when
called with parameter "start" or no parameter. Other values (restart,
reload, stop) have no effect.
During startup the script is called from the symlink
/etc/rc2.d/S25xserver-xorg-input-evtouch. It seems that at this time the
evtouch-driver is not running, and so the value setting does not work.

I renamed the link to /etc/rc2.d/S99xserver-xorg-input-evtouch so that
it will be started at a later time during boot, and then the calibration
data was recognized.

I'm not sure if this is the right solution or if it works under all
circumstances, but you can give it a try.

Wolfgang

Old 11-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Nasa

----- "Wolfgang" <yellowbird@gmx.at> wrote:

> I experienced the same problems on an Gigabyte T1028X Netbook:
> calibration works but is lost after next reboot.
> What I found out about it:
>
> The calibration software writes a file /etc/evtouch/config with the
> calibration data. When looking in the logfile /var/log/Xorg.0.log it
> seems that the driver does not use this configuration data, because
> there were other values for MinX, MaxX etc. mentioned as there are in
>
> the config file.
>
> There is a startup-script /etc/init.d/xserver-xorg-input-evtouch.
> This script does not really load a daemon but sets only the
> configuration data for the evtouch driver from the config file when
> called with parameter "start" or no parameter. Other values (restart,
>
> reload, stop) have no effect.
> During startup the script is called from the symlink
> /etc/rc2.d/S25xserver-xorg-input-evtouch. It seems that at this time
> the
> evtouch-driver is not running, and so the value setting does not
> work.
>
> I renamed the link to /etc/rc2.d/S99xserver-xorg-input-evtouch so that
>
> it will be started at a later time during boot, and then the
> calibration
> data was recognized.
>
> I'm not sure if this is the right solution or if it works under all
> circumstances, but you can give it a try.

Wolfgang,

Thanks for the suggestion.... I gave it a try, but it didn't work for me.
I did note that if I execute "/etc/rc2.d/S99xserver-xorg-input-evtouch start"
and restart the X server then the calibration returns. Not sure how this helps
me, but I guess any hint is a start.

Nasa

Old 11-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Nasa

> > I experienced the same problems on an Gigabyte T1028X Netbook:
> > calibration works but is lost after next reboot.
> > What I found out about it:
> >
> > The calibration software writes a file /etc/evtouch/config with the
>
> > calibration data. When looking in the logfile /var/log/Xorg.0.log it
>
> > seems that the driver does not use this configuration data, because
>
> > there were other values for MinX, MaxX etc. mentioned as there are
> in
> >
> > the config file.
> >
> > There is a startup-script /etc/init.d/xserver-xorg-input-evtouch.
> > This script does not really load a daemon but sets only the
> > configuration data for the evtouch driver from the config file when
>
> > called with parameter "start" or no parameter. Other values
> (restart,
> >
> > reload, stop) have no effect.
> > During startup the script is called from the symlink
> > /etc/rc2.d/S25xserver-xorg-input-evtouch. It seems that at this
> time
> > the
> > evtouch-driver is not running, and so the value setting does not
> > work.
> >
> > I renamed the link to /etc/rc2.d/S99xserver-xorg-input-evtouch so
> that
> >
> > it will be started at a later time during boot, and then the
> > calibration
> > data was recognized.
> >
> > I'm not sure if this is the right solution or if it works under all
>
> > circumstances, but you can give it a try.
> >
> Wolfgang,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.... I gave it a try, but it didn't work for
> me.
> I did note that if I execute "/etc/rc2.d/S99xserver-xorg-input-evtouch
> start"
> and restart the X server then the calibration returns. Not sure how
> this helps
> me, but I guess any hint is a start.
>
> Nasa
Wolfgang,

I took your work and ran with it... Although making the evtouch script
run later in the init process didn't work for me, it made me investigate
the /etc/init/ directory (something to do with upstart?). Inside there
I found the gdm.conf file. A simple addition, prior to the gdm binary
executing, of "/etc/init.d/xserver-xorg-input-evtouch" and all seems
to be working (well give it a couple of days to be sure).

Nasa