Old 11-03-2009, 09:39 AM
pkaplan1

Default root access to kcron

How do I create a system cronjob using kcron?
I seem to recall there is a command to launch the module with root access, but
not how to do it.
The kcron module in System Settings only allows editing of user cronjobs.
TIA
Paul

Old 11-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Derek Broughton

pkaplan1 wrote:

> How do I create a system cronjob using kcron?
> I seem to recall there is a command to launch the module with root access,
> but not how to do it.
> The kcron module in System Settings only allows editing of user cronjobs.

Paul, you'd be more likely to get answers from kubuntu-
users@lists.ubuntu.com, as this list caters to Ubuntu rather than Kubuntu.

Which version of kubuntu are you running? kcron on karmic is only available
from "System Settings" (ie, there is no /usr/bin/kcron) and has a clear
radio button that allows you to choose either "Personal" or "System"
crontabs (the KDE 3.5 version allowed you to choose _any_ user's crontab,
but made figuring out how to use the system one a little confusing).

However in karmic, I see if you get there _from_ System Settings, the system
cron is not modifiable. You _should_ be able to run "kdesudo kcmshell
kcron", but that isn't working for me, either (nor is "kcmshell --list").
"kdesudo systemsettings" does work, and now shows me radio buttons for
"Personal cron", "System cron" and "Cron of user ...", so I'd say it's a
familiar old bug of not asking for admin credentials inside systemsettings.
--
derek

Old 11-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Derek Broughton