Old 11-03-2009, 07:37 AM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

Default Upgrading to Karmic Koala with squashfs filesystems

I want to give a reminder to anyone who is currently using a squashfs
filesystem on Jaunty (or older) and who is considering an in-place upgrade
to Karmic.

Squashfs has jumped from version 3.x to version 4.x, and 4.x is *NOT*
backwards compatible with the older version.

You have two options:
1) before upgrade: unsquash your squashed filesystem, upgrade, reboot, and
resquash with the new version of squashfs
2) after upgrade: boot from a 9.04 livecd or unetbootin'ed usb stick (you
may need to do that anyway if you squashed something important like /usr),
unsquash your squashed filesystem, reboot, resquash with the new version
of squashfs

I had to find this out the hard way: my netbook became unbootable because
it couldn't mount my squashed /usr. Bytheway, is this worth filing a bug
report on Launchpad?

--
Amedee Van Gasse
amedee@vangasse.eu

Old 11-03-2009, 09:58 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)"

On Tue, November 3, 2009 09:37, Amedee Van Gasse (ub) wrote:
> I want to give a reminder to anyone who is currently using a squashfs
> filesystem on Jaunty (or older) and who is considering an in-place upgrade
> to Karmic.
>
> Squashfs has jumped from version 3.x to version 4.x, and 4.x is *NOT*
> backwards compatible with the older version.
>
> You have two options:
> 1) before upgrade: unsquash your squashed filesystem, upgrade, reboot, and
> resquash with the new version of squashfs
> 2) after upgrade: boot from a 9.04 livecd or unetbootin'ed usb stick (you
> may need to do that anyway if you squashed something important like /usr),
> unsquash your squashed filesystem, reboot, resquash with the new version
> of squashfs
>
> I had to find this out the hard way: my netbook became unbootable because
> it couldn't mount my squashed /usr. Bytheway, is this worth filing a bug
> report on Launchpad?

For those of you that understand Dutch, I have documented my adventures
with squashfs on my blog:
http://amedee.be/upgrade-naar-karmic-koala-breekt-squashfs

For those of you who don't understand Dutch, you should be able to
understand most of it because all the errors and messages are in English.

--
Amedee

Old 11-03-2009, 11:38 PM
Steve Flynn

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 10:58 PM, Amedee Van Gasse (ub)
<amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be> wrote:
> For those of you that understand Dutch, I have documented my adventures
> with squashfs on my blog:
> http://amedee.be/upgrade-naar-karmic-koala-breekt-squashfs
>
> For those of you who don't understand Dutch, you should be able to
> understand most of it because all the errors and messages are in English.

Bedankt; Always nice when someone takes the time to document fixes,
workarounds, techniques and methods of making ballaches go away.

As an aside, your post got me to spend a little time reading up on
squashfs and implementing it on an old laptop I have with a 4Gb drive
in it. Another ancient machine saved from the recycle bin.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0