-   -   Increasing Linux Partion... (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/27373-increasing-linux-partion.html)

"Selcuk Yigit" 01-03-2008 02:03 AM

Increasing Linux Partion...

He is asking for an MS application...

----- Original Message -----
From: "anthony baldwin" <anthony.baldwin01@comcast.net>
To: "Ubuntu user technical support,not for general discussions"
<ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 4:56 AM
Subject: Re: Increasing Linux Partion...

"John DeCarlo" 01-03-2008 02:13 AM

Increasing Linux Partion...

On Jan 2, 2008 10:03 PM, Selcuk Yigit <syigits@gmail.com> wrote:

He is asking for an MS application...

No, he isn't.* And I wouldn't use PM if you paid me - broke too many systems.

gparted or qtparted both work much more reliably.

--
John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own

anthony baldwin 01-03-2008 02:30 AM

Increasing Linux Partion...

Selcuk Yigit wrote:
> He is asking for an MS application...

But why?
You can't edit a mounted disk, so running a livecd to partition the disk
is necessary (partition magic unmounts your disk).
Why spend beaucoup dollars for partition magic, when he apparently
already has an Ubuntu disk on hand that he means to install?
Said disc includes gparted, which is free, and works great.
Personally, I think gparted is easier to use than partition magic.
that's just me, though...

/tony

anthony baldwin 01-03-2008 02:30 AM

Increasing Linux Partion...

John DeCarlo wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2008 10:03 PM, Selcuk Yigit <syigits@gmail.com
> <mailto:syigits@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> He is asking for an MS application...
>
> No, he isn't. And I wouldn't use PM if you paid me - broke too many
> systems.
>
> gparted or qtparted both work much more reliably.

Right on.
They're simple to use, and they work.

/tony

NoOp 01-03-2008 03:10 AM

Increasing Linux Partion...

On 01/02/2008 06:56 PM, anthony baldwin wrote:

> Bah...horton's partition smegma...
> Drop in any ubuntu livecd and use gparted.
> It works great and is simple to use.

Agree... with the exception of the livecd part. If I waited for ubuntu's
livecd to try and load on most of my old systems it would be a two day
job. I *much* prefer using knoppix instead (http://www.knoppix.net/) and
then gparted :-) Just make sure that your bios is set to boot from CD,
then in knoppix set a system password (from the menu: KNOPPIX|Set
Password for root), then System|Gparted or GNOME partition editor.

As much as I love Ubuntu, the livecd issues drive me nuts & knoppix
boots quickly on everything that I own.

anthony baldwin 01-03-2008 04:57 AM

Increasing Linux Partion...

NoOp wrote:
> On 01/02/2008 06:56 PM, anthony baldwin wrote:
>

>> Bah...horton's partition smegma...
>> Drop in any ubuntu livecd and use gparted.
>> It works great and is simple to use.
>>

> Agree... with the exception of the livecd part. If I waited for ubuntu's
> livecd to try and load on most of my old systems it would be a two day
> job. I *much* prefer using knoppix instead (http://www.knoppix.net/) and
> then gparted :-) Just make sure that your bios is set to boot from CD,
> then in knoppix set a system password (from the menu: KNOPPIX|Set
> Password for root), then System|Gparted or GNOME partition editor.
>
> As much as I love Ubuntu, the livecd issues drive me nuts & knoppix
> boots quickly on everything that I own.

I have a Damn Small Linux cd on hand just for partitioning stuff.
DSL is pretty cool...and it has gparted.
I just figured he already had a ubuntu disk on hand...

/tony

Nils Kassube 01-03-2008 06:03 AM

Increasing Linux Partion...

Selcuk Yigit wrote:
> He is asking for an MS application...

Where did you read that? I doubt, Microsoft would ever make a tool to
reliably resize Linux partitions, so that's no option anyways.

Nils

James Black 01-03-2008 12:02 PM

Increasing Linux Partion...

anthony baldwin 01-03-2008 01:02 PM

Increasing Linux Partion...

James Black wrote:
> anthony baldwin wrote:
>
>> Selcuk Yigit wrote:

>>> it is Norton Partition Magic...
>>>
>>> i did not hear any other software doing the same job..
>>> its the best for partition resizing.. (without data loose )
>>>

>> Bah...horton's partition smegma...
>> Drop in any ubuntu livecd and use gparted.
>> It works great and is simple to use.
>>
>> /tony
>>
>> Okay, i dont have Norto, but ihave the livecd. is it as easy as using gparted or are there steps to follow? if it's a gui and easy to figure out then i'll do it that way. thankx for all the timely responses.

Yeah, you just boot the live cd, and then, in system>administration you
will find
gparted. It is a gui-tool, and rather intuitive, if you ask me.
You'll likely find it quite simple to use.
You may have to unmount the drive yourself, though, since, for some
reason when you call
up gparted, it mounts it, but, it can't alter the partitions while the
disk is mounted.
You will see the drive on the desktop (an icon), just right click the
icon and choose
"unmount volume", as soon as it pops up.
Check these links out:
http://www.packtpub.com/article/Partitioning_with_GParted
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/screenshots.php

good luck,
tony

"Ashley Benton" 01-03-2008 01:12 PM

Increasing Linux Partion...

Yes it is very easy to use Gparted. You just have to answer the questions and if you have a doubt cancel and ask the answer before to finish. As long as you don't accept nothing is changed, so there is no risk to insert the cd and look.

Good luck
Meg