FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Kipton Moravec
 
Default Some windows Blank

On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 21:45 +0100, bqz69 wrote:
> On Monday 02 November 2009 09:18:19 pm Kipton Moravec wrote:
> > I have an old computer. It is a 433 MHz with 256 MB RAM. 512 MB swap.
>
> >
> > Any Suggestions?
>
> xubuntu
>

Xubuntu uses more RAM than Ubuntu according to Linux-Magazine.
http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7520/1.html


> or
>
> puppy linux as a live cd, works in ram and will be fast, and ubuntu desktop
> can stay on the harddisk.
>
> puppy is even a good tool (dd command and gparted etc).
>

Here you are saying to use Puppy linux as a live CD, but I do not
understand the part about the Ubuntu Desktop. I am guessing the Puppy
Linux is much different than the Ubuntu Desktop.

Kip
--
Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...

"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
--Mark Twain



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-03-2009, 05:52 AM
bqz69
 
Default Some windows Blank

> I have an old computer. It is a 433 MHz with 256 MB RAM. 512 MB swap.
> > Any Suggestions?

I just tried Lubuntu live cd on my old laptop 550 Mhz - 96 mb ram.

I found Lubuntu very slow, but it is a developement version!

puppy only takes about 100 mb of ram and works in ram

Here is a minihowto about puppy I made a long time ago - I cannot really cope
with the speed of the developement of the internet software :-(

http://www.minihowto.org/dd_backup_of_an_encrypted_partition_using_puppy/dd
backup of an encrypted partition using puppy linux.html

It gives a short intro about using puppy - the principle is still the same.

Download the iso, burn it into a live cd and then boot it.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Christopher Rob JONES
 
Default Some windows Blank

Hi,

> But sometimes I like to pull something up on it so it is on screen while
> I am doing something else on my main computer. Or check something with a
> terminal window.

Sounds similar to an issue I had with a video driver a while back. It
was an nvidia driver and with compiz enabled if I open too many windows
(not a lot, less than 10) I eventually got blank windows. It was like
the video driver was running out of ram.

What video card/driver do you have ? Do you have "desktop effects" on ?
If so, I suggest turning them off.

Chris

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-03-2009, 07:07 PM
Kipton Moravec
 
Default Some windows Blank

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 14:36 +0100, Christopher Rob JONES wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > But sometimes I like to pull something up on it so it is on screen while
> > I am doing something else on my main computer. Or check something with a
> > terminal window.
>
> Sounds similar to an issue I had with a video driver a while back. It
> was an nvidia driver and with compiz enabled if I open too many windows
> (not a lot, less than 10) I eventually got blank windows. It was like
> the video driver was running out of ram.
>
> What video card/driver do you have ? Do you have "desktop effects" on ?
> If so, I suggest turning them off.
>
> Chris
>

What are "desktop effects" and where do I find if it is turned on or
not. That sounds like the problem.

Kip

--
Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...

"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
--Mark Twain



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-03-2009, 07:12 PM
NoOp
 
Default Some windows Blank

On 11/03/2009 12:07 PM, Kipton Moravec wrote:
...
>
> What are "desktop effects" and where do I find if it is turned on or
> not. That sounds like the problem.
>
> Kip
>

System|Preferences|Appearance|Visual Effects - click 'None'.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Kipton Moravec
 
Default Some windows Blank

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 14:36 +0100, Christopher Rob JONES wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > But sometimes I like to pull something up on it so it is on screen while
> > I am doing something else on my main computer. Or check something with a
> > terminal window.
>
> Sounds similar to an issue I had with a video driver a while back. It
> was an nvidia driver and with compiz enabled if I open too many windows
> (not a lot, less than 10) I eventually got blank windows. It was like
> the video driver was running out of ram.
>
> What video card/driver do you have ? Do you have "desktop effects" on ?
> If so, I suggest turning them off.
>
> Chris
>

I found it under Appearance. Changed it from "Normal" to none and they
are working! Thanks.

Kip

--
Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...

"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
--Mark Twain



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Kipton Moravec
 
Default Some windows Blank

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 12:12 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 11/03/2009 12:07 PM, Kipton Moravec wrote:
> ...
> >
> > What are "desktop effects" and where do I find if it is turned on or
> > not. That sounds like the problem.
> >
> > Kip
> >
>
> System|Preferences|Appearance|Visual Effects - click 'None'.
>

Thanks I found it and it fixed my problem.

Silly me I was looking under Display...

Kip
>
--
Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...

"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
--Mark Twain



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:53 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org