Old 11-02-2009, 07:56 PM
William

Default write a file to etc folder

I used gedit to back a file and I need to the etc folder but it says I
need root access how can I get it to save it ?

Old 11-02-2009, 08:02 PM
tba rakoto

Le Mon, 02 Nov 2009 15:56:48 -0500,
William <kc8pdr@gmail.com> a crit :

> I used gedit to back a file and I need to the etc folder but it says I
> need root access how can I get it to save it ?

As said, you have to get root access... (write)access in /etc is not
permitted for simple user.

Get root access by sudo, copy the file in your home folder, edit the
file, get root priv again, copy it back to etc

You may also use another text based editor (vim, emacs...). Get root
access and edit the file directly...

Tba

Old 11-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Kipton Moravec

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 00:02 +0300, tba rakoto wrote:
> Le Mon, 02 Nov 2009 15:56:48 -0500,
> William <kc8pdr@gmail.com> a crit :
>
> > I used gedit to back a file and I need to the etc folder but it says I
> > need root access how can I get it to save it ?
> >

> As said, you have to get root access... (write)access in /etc is not
> permitted for simple user.
>
> Get root access by sudo, copy the file in your home folder, edit the
> file, get root priv again, copy it back to etc
>
> You may also use another text based editor (vim, emacs...). Get root
> access and edit the file directly...
>
> Tba

Or from the the terminal you can use
sudo gedit <file>

Then save it where you want.

--
Kipton Moravec AE5IB .- . ..... .. -...

"Always do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest."
--Mark Twain

Old 11-02-2009, 08:07 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

William wrote:
> I used gedit to back a file and I need to the etc folder but it says I
> need root access how can I get it to save it ?

gksudo nautilus.
Joep

Old 11-02-2009, 08:19 PM
NoOp

On 11/02/2009 01:07 PM, Kipton Moravec wrote:

> Or from the the terminal you can use
> sudo gedit <file>

Use gksu instead for graphical applications:

$ gksu gedit <file>

Or install the nautilus admin extension & you will then be able to
right-click the file from nautilus & open as 'adminstrator'.

$ sudo apt-get install nautilus-gksu

The gksu extension for nautilus allows you to open files with
administration privileges using the context menu when browsing your
files with nautilus.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:21 PM
NoOp

On 11/02/2009 01:07 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> William wrote:
>> I used gedit to back a file and I need to the etc folder but it says I
>> need root access how can I get it to save it ?
>>

> gksudo nautilus.
> Joep

That indeed works. But I hesitate to advise doing that for what appears
to be a new linux/ubuntu user... without all the appropriate
disclaimer/warnings etc. :-)

Old 11-02-2009, 08:35 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

NoOp wrote:
> On 11/02/2009 01:07 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> William wrote:
>>> I used gedit to back a file and I need to the etc folder but it says I
>>> need root access how can I get it to save it ?
>>>

>> gksudo nautilus.
>> Joep
>>

> That indeed works. But I hesitate to advise doing that for what appears
> to be a new linux/ubuntu user... without all the appropriate
> disclaimer/warnings etc. :-)

OK, I'll be a little bit more cautious!!
Joep

Old 11-03-2009, 12:18 AM
John Scott

And it should definitely be said that absolutely NOTHING in the /etc folder should EVER be modified without a backup copy to fall back on. Especially if you wouldn't know how to use vi after booting to a command prompt to edit the file manually.

Regards,

John

Old 11-03-2009, 12:49 AM
William

Thank you for all your help this group rock's for help I had to add a
file for my blackberry

Old 11-03-2009, 01:24 AM
NoOp

On 11/02/2009 05:18 PM, John Scott wrote:

> And it should definitely be said that absolutely NOTHING in the /etc
> folder should EVER be modified without a backup copy to fall back on.
> Especially if you wouldn't know how to use vi after booting to a
> command prompt to edit the file manually.
>
> Regards,
>
> John

Please bottom post here :-)

The good bit about using 'gksu gedit <file>' and or the nautilus admin
right-click option is that gedit will automatically create a <~file>
backup file. So, if for instance you edit /etc/apt/sources.list via
those methods, you will have a /etc/apt/~sources.list file as a backup.

Regarding 'gksu nautilus'; that command puts nautilus in a 'gksu' mode
whereby you can easily delete, modify, rename, etc., just about any file
on your File System. Hence the warning that that is a a useful
tool/command for experienced users, but shouldn't be used for new users
who may not understand the implications & power of the tool.

But I very much agree that you shouldn't modify anything in the File
System/root etc., without first creating a backup first & that's good
advise.