Old 11-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Ray Leventhal

Default wicd asks for password before connecting after upgrade to karmic

Hi all,

I've solved this, but in a klunky way. Just wanted to put it out there
in case there are others who hit a roadblock and perhaps to tweak the
nice folks who know more than I to reveal a better, less klunky solution.

Running Jaunty, fully updated. wicd as installed nm.

Update to Karmic via alternate-cd mounted image. All goes well, but on
reboot, wicd requires password (wired connection, no wireless on this
box). I provide password, but have to stop and restart wicd to get
packets to pass.

A review of google results and the forums talk about something similar
from Intrepid to Jaunty upgrade, involving the /etc/init.d/wicd script,
but that was not the issue. I'm guessing that wicd wasn't starting
properly, and tried to after the GUI came up. Clientside working,
daemon not...

Anyway, I re-mounted the karmic-alternate cd image, did sudo apt-get
install network-manager, which removed wicd, then after reboot
(required, or so it said), I did sudo apt-get install wicd and all is well.

This one's for the archives, in case anyone runs into this trouble...I'm
sure there's a more elegant solution, but this worked for me.

HTH someone,
-Ray

> I've solved this, but in a klunky way. Just wanted to put it out there
> in case there are others who hit a roadblock and perhaps to tweak the
> nice folks who know more than I to reveal a better, less klunky solution.
>
> Running Jaunty, fully updated. wicd as installed nm.
>
> Update to Karmic via alternate-cd mounted image. All goes well, but on
> reboot, wicd requires password (wired connection, no wireless on this
> box). I provide password, but have to stop and restart wicd to get
> packets to pass.
>
> A review of google results and the forums talk about something similar
> from Intrepid to Jaunty upgrade, involving the /etc/init.d/wicd script,
> but that was not the issue. I'm guessing that wicd wasn't starting
> properly, and tried to after the GUI came up. Clientside working,
> daemon not...
>
> Anyway, I re-mounted the karmic-alternate cd image, did sudo apt-get
> install network-manager, which removed wicd, then after reboot
> (required, or so it said), I did sudo apt-get install wicd and all is well.
>
> This one's for the archives, in case anyone runs into this trouble...I'm
> sure there's a more elegant solution, but this worked for me.
>
> HTH someone,
> -Ray

Ray, I have been telling many upgrade people the same story.
If you upgrade, the part of the device that attaches to the
operating system is lost. So you need to re-install all those
things.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI