Old 11-02-2009, 11:58 AM
R Kimber

Default 9.10 boot screen

Is there a way of changing the font displayed on the boot screen?

The 9.04 boot screen was much clearer and nicer. Now the font on the black
and white screen is very crude, and displays the file checks unclearly, with
the '% complete' overlapping the UUID. Also (and presumably nothing can be
done about this) the message on the screen flashes, presumably each time
the information is updated.

The whole thing has the appearance of the sort of programming that we had
to put up with in the 1980s.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
Political Science Resources

Old 11-02-2009, 04:17 PM
James Michael Fultz

* R Kimber <richardkimber@btinternet.com> [2009-11-02 12:58 +0000]:
> Is there a way of changing the font displayed on the boot screen?
>
> The 9.04 boot screen was much clearer and nicer. Now the font on the black
> and white screen is very crude, and displays the file checks unclearly, with
> the '% complete' overlapping the UUID. Also (and presumably nothing can be
> done about this) the message on the screen flashes, presumably each time
> the information is updated.
>
> The whole thing has the appearance of the sort of programming that we had
> to put up with in the 1980s.

Assuming you're talking about the boot menu, I think that uncommenting
the line for "GRUB_TERMINAL=console" in '/etc/default/grub' then running
'update-grub' would affect this behavior.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:00 PM
R Kimber

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 12:17:23 -0500
James Michael Fultz wrote:

> Assuming you're talking about the boot menu, I think that uncommenting
> the line for "GRUB_TERMINAL=console" in '/etc/default/grub' then running
> 'update-grub' would affect this behavior.

No I'm talking about the screen that shows the file system checks.

- Richard.