Old 11-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Luca Ferrari

Default problem scanning wifi lans

Hi all,
I've got a curios problem: when using the wifi from the network manager applet
the card works fine, but if I try to run it from the command line I can neither
do a normal scan:

root@fluca-laptop:~# lspci | grep Wi
05:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless WiFi Link 5100
root@fluca-laptop:~# iwlist scan
lo Interface doesn't support scanning.

eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

wmaster0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

wlan0 No scan results

pan0 Interface doesn't support scanning.

No scan results for wlan0 but the applet shows me all the APs in the
neighbourhood...any idea?

Thanks,
Luca

Old 11-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Luca Ferrari

I've found that manually disabling the wifi card and restarting it with the
power button of the laptop allows me to scan for a network. It seems that the
card is not rightly initialized. Any clue about how to investigate?

Thanks,
Luca

Old 11-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Nathan Bahn

keyboard wrote:

> Hi all,

> I've got a curios problem: when using the wifi from the network manager

> *applet the card works fine, but if I try to run it from the command line I

> *can neither do a normal scan:

> root@fluca-laptop:~# lspci | grep Wi

> 05:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless WiFi Link 5100

> root@fluca-laptop:~# iwlist scan

> lo * * * *Interface doesn't support scanning.

> eth0 * * *Interface doesn't support scanning.

> wmaster0 *Interface doesn't support scanning.

> wlan0 * * No scan results

> pan0 * * *Interface doesn't support scanning.

> No scan results for wlan0 but the applet shows me all the APs in the

> neighbourhood...any idea?

> Thanks,

> Luca

Have you tried using the Graphic User Interface (GUI)?

Old 11-05-2009, 06:03 PM
NoOp

On 11/02/2009 02:55 AM, Luca Ferrari wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've got a curios problem: when using the wifi from the network manager applet
> the card works fine, but if I try to run it from the command line I can neither
> do a normal scan:
>
> root@fluca-laptop:~# lspci | grep Wi
> 05:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless WiFi Link 5100
> root@fluca-laptop:~# iwlist scan
> lo Interface doesn't support scanning.
>
> eth0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
>
> wmaster0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
>
> wlan0 No scan results
>
> pan0 Interface doesn't support scanning.
>

> No scan results for wlan0 but the applet shows me all the APs in the
> neighbourhood...any idea?
>
> Thanks,
> Luca

Have a look through some of these: