Old 11-02-2009, 08:24 AM
Conny Enstrom

Default How is "sound system" defined in Linux?

Detlef Lechner skrev:
> Hi,
>
> how is "sound system" defined in Linux?
>
> Regards,
>
> Detlef Lechner

ALSA or Pulse audio

Old 11-02-2009, 10:28 AM
Detlef Lechner

Conny Enstrom wrote:
> Detlef Lechner skrev:
>> how is "sound system" defined in Linux?

> ALSA or Pulse audio

Is this not a too simple answer? How does fit the «Open Sound System»
into this picture?

Regards,

Detlef

Old 11-02-2009, 11:13 AM
Frans Ketelaars

On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 12:28:00 +0100, Detlef Lechner wrote:

> Conny Enstrom wrote:
>> Detlef Lechner skrev:
>>> how is "sound system" defined in Linux?
>
>> ALSA or Pulse audio
>
> Is this not a too simple answer? How does fit the «Open Sound System»
> into this picture?
>
> Regards,
>
> Detlef

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=linux+soun d+system&go=Go

HTH,

-Frans

Old 11-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Detlef Lechner

Frans Ketelaars wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Nov 2009 12:28:00 +0100, Detlef Lechner wrote:
>
>> Conny Enstrom wrote:
>>> ALSA or Pulse audio
>> Is this not a too simple answer? How does fit the «Open Sound System»
>> into this picture?

> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=linux+soun d+system&go=Go

What do you think I have done before I posted here? Just this!
But this does not provide the answer to my question.

> HTH,

No, it does not.

Detlef

Old 11-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Johnny Rosenberg

2009/11/2 Detlef Lechner <Detlef.Lechner@gmx.net>:
> Frans Ketelaars wrote:

>>> Is this not a too simple answer? How does fit the «Open Sound System»
>>> into this picture?
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=linux+soun d+system&go=Go
>
> What do you think I have done before I posted here? Just this!
> But this does not provide the answer to my question.

Maybe no one understood your question? I certainly did not.

J.R.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Pete Vander Giessen

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 12:47 AM, Detlef Lechner <Detlef.Lechner@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> how is "sound system" defined in Linux?

Sound in Linux is a large and complex topic. Right now, Ubuntu uses
PulseAudio to mix sound and mediate between applications and the sound
card. Applications that want to directly use Alsa or OSS can
theoretically talk to PulseAudio instead; there are fewer bugs related
to this with each release of Ubuntu and PulseAudio.

Do you need to know more about anything specific?

~PeteVG

" ... the original aphorism being 'In comparison with the ancients, we
stand like dwarfs on the shoulders of giants.' The image was a
commonplace by the time Newton used it, his one contribution being to
erase any sense that he himself might be a dwarf."

~ Lewis Hyde

Old 11-06-2009, 12:51 AM
Irving Leonard

wrote:

> >> Is this not a too simple answer? How does fit the «Open
Sound System»
> >> into this picture?

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=linux+s
> >ound+system&go=Go
>
> What do you think I have done before I posted here? Just this!
> But this does not provide the answer to my question.
>
> > HTH,
>
> No, it does not.
>
> Detlef

Try this link
http://insanecoding.blogspot.com/2009/06/state-of-sound-in-
linux-not-so-sorry.html
--
irving

Participe en Universidad 2010, del 8 al 12 de febrero de 2010
La Habana, Cuba
http://www.universidad2010.cu

SEGUNDO SEMINARIO INTERNACIONAL LEGADO Y DIVERSIDAD. ARQUITECTURA Y URBANISMO.

El rescate de los valores urbanos y arquitectónicos en tiempos de globalización

Colegio de San Gerónimo, La Habana Vieja, noviembre 24-27, 2009

Old 11-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Evuraan

poorly.

(many hates pulse audio in linux. hence that answer.)