Old 11-02-2009, 01:08 AM
NoOp

Default OpenOffice and Synaptic repositories, PPA, v2

On 11/01/2009 02:42 PM, R K Belew wrote:

For some reason you seem to have posted a new thread rather than
replying in your original thead/post. Please look into fixing this.

> thanks for your hints Dave and NoOp. NoOp, i took your advise:
>
>> R K can either upgrade to Jaunty, try the jaunty build:
>> or install the official standard OOo:
>
> since i already had the standard OO, but since it is v1
> vs. the current v3, i used this as motivation to upgrade
> to jaunty.
>
> but i'm still having the same problem with getting
> Synaptic, or apt-get, or aptitude, to install OO!?
> the facts:
>
> * i have the OO repository in sources.list:
>
>> rik@monk:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list | tail -5
>> #PPA openoffice-pkgs
>> deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu jaunty partner
>> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/fta/ubuntu jaunty main
>> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
>> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/chromium-daily/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

Mine is not a good example so I'll snip many ppa lines & only include
the relevant lines:

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list |grep ppa

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

> * gpg knows about the key:
>
>> rik@monk:~$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 247D1CFF
>> Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 247D1CFF
>> gpg: requesting key 247D1CFF from hkp server pgp.mit.edu
>> gpg: key 247D1CFF: "Launchpad PPA for OpenOffice.org Scribblers" not changed
>> gpg: Total number processed: 1
>> gpg: unchanged: 1

That key has nothing to do with the OOo ppa:
That key is:
https://launchpad.net/~openoffice-pkgs/+archive/ppa

Opps:
<quote>
Empty for now, will likely have OOo 3.2.0/3.2.1 debs for Karmic/Lucid
later in the cycle.
</quote>

However the signing key would have been:
Signing key:
1024R/247D1CFF (What is this?)
$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 247D1CFF
not
$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 247D1CFF

> * but Synaptic does NOT list OpenOffice as available under
> ppa.launchpad.net/main Origin.

See above. Looks like he's moved on to lucid:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu lucid main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/openoffice-pkgs/ppa/ubuntu lucid main

> * running sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade; sudo apt-get
> dist-upgrade installed a few other upgrades, but NOT OO.

Worth a bug report, but remember that a PPA is a "Personal Package
Archive" an is not supported by Ubuntu.

> * and when i use apt-get to install OO, it grabbed the official
> standard (v1) version.
>
> and again, i've followed about the same procedures
> (getting the repository and PPA established) to
> SUCCESSFULLY install (for example) Chromium!
>
> * i wound up downloading the .deb.tar.gz file directly from Sun,
> dropping down to dpkg and installing ala the instructions at
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Installing_on_Debian_based_Distros
>
> and NOW i have OOv3! and Synaptic seems aware of the package
> (with a Local/Unknown origin). but also still questions as to
> what was broken?

See above. Note that the official OOo version does not use gstreamer, so
you'll not be able to use video & sound out-of-the-box. Alternate is to
use go-oo (which Ubuntu OOo is based on):
http://www.go-oo.org/ but that's a pain. I'll see if I can ping Chris &
ask if the (U)OOo 3.1 packages will be included in backports.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:15 AM
NoOp

On 11/01/2009 06:08 PM, NoOp wrote:

> I'll see if I can ping Chris &
> ask if the (U)OOo 3.1 packages will be included in backports.

Doesn't look good:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openoffice.org/+bug/267376?comments=all>

Amazing that the previous debs got wiped...
If you are still interested, I'll test using the karmic debs on jaunty,
and/or see if I still have the jaunty OOo debs archived somewhere.