Old 01-03-2008, 12:23 AM
Alex Janssen

Default html editor ?

Schiz0 said the following on 01/02/2008 07:42 PM:
> On Jan 2, 2008 7:28 PM, Alex Janssen <alex@ourwoods.org> wrote:
>
>> What's the best on in the Ubuntu repository?
>> Outside the repository?
>> Don't really need a site manager, but I'd take one if it's included.
>>
>> Alex
>>

> vim.

wysiwyg ?

--
Ourwoods.org
A drunken man's words are a sober man's thoughts. - Unknown (158)

Old 01-03-2008, 12:31 AM
Alex Janssen

Craig Puchta said the following on 01/02/2008 07:48 PM:

> On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 19:28 -0500, Alex Janssen wrote:
>> What's the best on in the Ubuntu repository?
>> Outside the repository?
>> Don't really need a site manager, but I'd take one if it's included.
>>

> Are you looking for a text based html editor? If that's the case there
> is always,
>
> vi
> emacs
>
> If you want a GUI text editor there is:
>
> gedit
>
> Or if your talking about a WYSIWYG editor there is:
>
> Kompozer
>
> scream
>
> quanta
>
> bluefish
I was looking for something to work both as wysiwyg and text editor. I
like switching back and forth depending on the job. I've been using
text editors, Dreamweaver, NVU, Kompozer. It always seems that I start
off in wysiwyg and inevitibly have to switch to text mode to correct
code. NVU doesn't put you in the same place when you switch to code
view. I always have to find my place. Dreamweaver was real good about
that. I haven't found anything that works like that for linux, yet. I
know there is one, though. Somewhere. I see I have some testing ahead
of me.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:41 AM
Schiz0

On Jan 2, 2008 8:23 PM, Alex Janssen <alex@ourwoods.org> wrote:
> Schiz0 said the following on 01/02/2008 07:42 PM:
>
> > On Jan 2, 2008 7:28 PM, Alex Janssen <alex@ourwoods.org> wrote:
> >
> >> What's the best on in the Ubuntu repository?
> >> Outside the repository?
> >> Don't really need a site manager, but I'd take one if it's included.
> >>
> >> Alex
> >>

> > vim.
> >

> wysiwyg ?
>

> --

Nah, vim is a command line text editor. It's powerful once you learn
how to use it though. Much better than *cough* emacs *cough*

Old 01-03-2008, 01:24 AM
Ken McLennan

G'day there Alex,

> I was looking for something to work both as wysiwyg and text editor. I
> like switching back and forth depending on the job. I've been using
> text editors, Dreamweaver, NVU, Kompozer. It always seems that I start
> off in wysiwyg and inevitibly have to switch to text mode to correct
> code. NVU doesn't put you in the same place when you switch to code
> view. I always have to find my place. Dreamweaver was real good about
> that. I haven't found anything that works like that for linux, yet. I
> know there is one, though. Somewhere. I see I have some testing ahead
> of me.
>
> Never tried Dreamweaver, but in either Windoze or Linux I've always returned to Arachnophilia. It's a Java app so it works the same in all environments (assuming you have Java installed). It may be worth a look. Other than that I've not made my mind up between Quanta & Bluefish.

See ya
Ken McLennan
Qld, Australia

Old 01-03-2008, 02:27 AM
anthony baldwin

Ken McLennan wrote:
> G'day there Alex,
>

>> I was looking for something to work both as wysiwyg and text editor. I
>> like switching back and forth depending on the job. I've been using
>> text editors, Dreamweaver, NVU, Kompozer. It always seems that I start
>> off in wysiwyg and inevitibly have to switch to text mode to correct
>> code. NVU doesn't put you in the same place when you switch to code
>> view. I always have to find my place. Dreamweaver was real good about
>> that. I haven't found anything that works like that for linux, yet. I
>> know there is one, though. Somewhere. I see I have some testing ahead
>> of me.
>>
>> Never tried Dreamweaver, but in either Windoze or Linux I've always returned to Arachnophilia. It's a Java app so it works the same in all environments (assuming you have Java installed). It may be worth a look. Other than that I've not made my mind up between Quanta & Bluefish.
>>

> See ya
> Ken McLennan
> Qld, Australia

I had never seen nor heard of Arachnophilia until I saw your message.
I googled it.
Then I downloaded the Arachnophilia jar.
Then I ran the jar from terminal.
Then I used Arachnophilia to write a shell script to put in my path
(/usr/local/bin)
Then I used Arachnophilia to edit my fluxbox menu to include the
shellscript in my applications menu.
Then I closed Arachnophilia.
Then I started Arachnophilia from my fluxbox menu, and wrote this note,
using Arachnophilia.
All this occured within the last 5 minutes.
Arachnophilia is pretty useful.
It works GreaT!
Perhaps I should include that in Linguas OS.

/tony

--
http://www.BaldwinLinguas.com
Translation & Interpreting

http://www.LinguasOS.org - Linux for Translators

Old 01-03-2008, 04:57 AM
Ken McLennan

G'day there Tony,
> I had never seen nor heard of Arachnophilia until I saw your message.

Hey!! I *can* do something useful! I might have to show your message
to my wife

> I googled it.
> Then I downloaded the Arachnophilia jar.
> Then I ran the jar from terminal.
> Then I used Arachnophilia to write a shell script to put in my path
> (/usr/local/bin)
> Then I used Arachnophilia to edit my fluxbox menu to include the
> shellscript in my applications menu.
> Then I closed Arachnophilia.
> Then I started Arachnophilia from my fluxbox menu, and wrote this note,
> using Arachnophilia.
> All this occured within the last 5 minutes.

It's pretty easy to install, that's for sure.
> Arachnophilia is pretty useful.
> It works GreaT!

Yep. I've used it for text, html, javascript, BASH and python
scripting. My success varied with my skills in each language (except
text). Unfortunately, none of those skills are exceptional but at least
what little ability I have wasn't hampered by the editor. It DOES work
great!

> Perhaps I should include that in Linguas OS.

I can't see a problem with that. A quick note to the author should
be all that's needed, I doubt he'll object.

Good luck with it
See ya
Ken

Old 01-03-2008, 07:31 AM
"Jad madi"

You define your best, I mean there are a plenty of editors in Ubuntu
repository but still you have to try them and see which would suit you
better.

I prefer going with vim or Amaya which was built by W3C.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:42 AM
anthony baldwin

Ken McLennan wrote:
> G'day there Tony,
>
>> I had never seen nor heard of Arachnophilia until I saw your message.
>>

> Hey!! I *can* do something useful! I might have to show your message
> to my wife

If she's anything like my wife, she won't believe you anyway....

>> I googled it.
>> Then I downloaded the Arachnophilia jar.
>> Then I ran the jar from terminal.
>> Then I used Arachnophilia to write a shell script to put in my path
>> (/usr/local/bin)
>> Then I used Arachnophilia to edit my fluxbox menu to include the
>> shellscript in my applications menu.
>> Then I closed Arachnophilia.
>> Then I started Arachnophilia from my fluxbox menu, and wrote this note,
>> using Arachnophilia.
>> All this occured within the last 5 minutes.
>>

> It's pretty easy to install, that's for sure.
>
>> Arachnophilia is pretty useful.
>> It works GreaT!
>>

> Yep. I've used it for text, html, javascript, BASH and python
> scripting. My success varied with my skills in each language (except
> text). Unfortunately, none of those skills are exceptional but at least
> what little ability I have wasn't hampered by the editor. It DOES work
> great!
>

>> Perhaps I should include that in Linguas OS.
>>

> I can't see a problem with that. A quick note to the author should
> be all that's needed, I doubt he'll object.

I wrote him, and he said that would be cool.

thanks
/tony

Old 01-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Derek Broughton

Schiz0 wrote:

> Nah, vim is a command line text editor. It's powerful once you learn
> how to use it though. Much better than *cough* emacs *cough*

I think it was using vim that gave you that nasty cough...
--
derek

Old 01-03-2008, 07:33 PM
Gerald Dachs

Am Wed, 2 Jan 2008 20:41:27 -0500
schrieb Schiz0 <schiz0phrenic21@gmail.com>:

> Much better than *cough* emacs *cough*

(E)ight (M)egabytes (A)lways (C)ontinously (S)wapping,
when I started this was unbelievable much memory.

Gerald