-   -   802.11-N Howto (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/273065-802-11-n-howto.html)

Christopher Chan 11-01-2009 11:07 PM

802.11-N Howto

fyrbrds@netscape.net wrote:
> Anyone know how to tweak 802.11-N adapters for max speed? Can Ubuntu
> handle the standard? Are there tools available?
>
> John

Does not that depend on the access point/router? If the AP does not
support/enable 40Mhz channels then you won't get 300Mbits no matter what
you do on your box.

Another thing is also your location. Depending on where you are in the
world, you get a different list of channels available on the 2.4Ghz and
5.x Ghz radio bands.

11-01-2009 11:34 PM

802.11-N Howto

All true. But when you dual boot a box and you get 300 Mb/s on Windows and 100 Kb/s on Ubuntu, none of that matters. Something is wrong with the config. I only need to know what tools are available to tweak the config. Wifi signal levels, channel numbers, etc. are irrelevant. The router can do 300 Mb/s on several n devices including this one. It just can't do it with Ubuntu so far. I need help from someone who knows tools that allow more than the basic of just typing your WPA key and then crossing your fingers, which is essentially what I have done.

John

Christopher Chan 11-01-2009 11:51 PM

802.11-N Howto

fyrbrds@netscape.net wrote:
> All true. But when you dual boot a box and you get 300 Mb/s on Windows
> and 100 Kb/s on Ubuntu, none of that matters. Something is wrong with
> the config. I only need to know what tools are available to tweak the
> config. Wifi signal levels, channel numbers, etc. are irrelevant. The
> router can do 300 Mb/s on several n devices including this one. It
> just can't do it with Ubuntu so far. I need help from someone who
> knows tools that allow more than the basic of just typing your WPA key
> and then crossing your fingers, which is essentially what I have done.

Please do not top post. It is alright for me since I am the sole replier
at the moment but it might throw others off the track. Any tweaking will
have to be done at the driver level I suspect. On Windows, I'd have to
go into the driver's settings for Location and other stuff. In other
words, I think this is going to be specific for each chipset. So you
will have to start by letting us know what you've got before we can even
try to figure it out.

> John

11-02-2009 12:55 AM

802.11-N Howto

> All true. But when you dual boot a box and you get 300 Mb/s on Windows

> and 100 Kb/s on Ubuntu, none of that matters. Something is wrong with

> the config. I only need to know what tools are available to tweak the

> config. Wifi signal levels, channel numbers, etc. are irrelevant. The

> router can do 300 Mb/s on several n devices including this one. It

> just can't do it with Ubuntu so far. I need help from someone who

> knows tools that allow more than the basic of just typing your WPA key

> and then crossing your fingers, which is essentially what I have done.

Please do not top post. It is alright for me since I am the sole replier

at the moment but it might throw others off the track. Any tweaking will

have to be done at the driver level I suspect. On Windows, I'd have to

go into the driver's settings for Location and other stuff. In other

words, I think this is going to be specific for each chipset. So you

will have to start by letting us know what you've got before we can even

try to figure it out.

> John

<snip>

Ok, here are the details:

The nic in this computer is a DWA-556 Xtreme N PCI Express Desktop Adapter

the output of lspci -v | less is:

03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5008 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

Subsystem: D-Link System Inc Device 3a70

Memory at cfdf0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]

Capabilities: <access denied>

Kernel driver in use: ath9k

Kernel modules: ath9k

If memory serves, this is the same kernel module (by name) that I used during my last Linux install (SuSE). I did not have this problem then but then I did not use it that often.

Are there not gui tools for configuring the connection parameters 802.11 b/g/n, WPA/WPA2, TKIP/AES without having to make changes at the driver level?

I would like to try to force 802.11-n/WPA2/AES. Why someone would make a tool that says WPA/WPA2 as if the two are synonymous is beyond me. Those are two standards have very important distinctions.

Regards,

John

Christopher Chan 11-02-2009 01:22 AM

802.11-N Howto

> Ok, here are the details:

Ouch, nevermind the part about not top posting. Your mailer messes
things up so bad you better just top post or change your mua.

> The nic in this computer is a DWA-556 Xtreme N PCI Express Desktop Adapter
>
> the output of lspci -v | less is:
>
> 03:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5008 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
>
> Subsystem: D-Link System Inc Device 3a70
>
> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 16
>
> Memory at cfdf0000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
>
> Capabilities: <access denied>
>
> Kernel driver in use: ath9k
>
> Kernel modules: ath9k
>

> If memory serves, this is the same kernel module (by name) that I used during my last Linux install (SuSE). I did not have this problem then but then I did not use it that often.
>

> Are there not gui tools for configuring the connection parameters 802.11 b/g/n, WPA/WPA2, TKIP/AES without having to make changes at the driver level?
>
> I would like to try to force 802.11-n/WPA2/AES. Why someone would make a tool that says WPA/WPA2 as if the two are synonymous is beyond me. Those are two standards have very important distinctions.

I would not call setting that stuff tweaking...I thought you had other
issues. I shall let others step in now.

11-02-2009 10:43 AM

802.11-N Howto

You wouldn't call that tweaking? What difference does that make? Do you know tools that do this or not? Why can't anyone just answer that question?

Chan Chung Hang Christopher 11-02-2009 11:03 AM

802.11-N Howto

fyrbrds@netscape.net wrote:
> You wouldn't call that tweaking? What difference does that make? Do you know tools that do this or not? Why can't anyone just answer that question?

Those are standard settings for any wireless connection...if the tools
don't offer that....what can I say?

John Scott 11-02-2009 12:00 PM

802.11-N Howto