Old 11-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Faizan Kazi

Default CPU usage very high after upgrade to 9.10

I'm not sure why... but "gnome-system-monitor" is taking up over 40 percent of my CPU time/usage... its super heating my laptop and i really dont want it to die of exhaustion.
this has been going on ever since i upgraded my ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 yesterday. its been giving me trouble for a day, despite multiple restarts.

Here is an image of the problem: (NOTE: i do not keep the system monitor window open continuously.
http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5930/highcpuusage.png

Oh and my harddisk is always running!!! :s its always writing or reading something from the harddisk... what is it doing???
Regards,Fez

Old 11-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Steve

On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 20:17:48 -0000, Faizan Kazi <faizan.s.kazi@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm not sure why... but "gnome-system-monitor" is taking up over 40
> percent
> of my CPU time/usage... its super heating my laptop and i really dont
> want
> it to die of exhaustion.
>
> this has been going on ever since i upgraded my ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10
> yesterday. its been giving me trouble for a day, despite multiple
> restarts.
>
> Here is an image of the problem: (NOTE: i do not keep the system monitor
> window open continuously.
>
> http://img511.imageshack.us/img511/5930/highcpuusage.png
>

> Oh and my harddisk is always running!!! :s its always writing or reading
> something from the harddisk... what is it doing???
>
> Regards,
> Fez

I believe this is a known issue with gnome system monitor. Have a look
round Launchpad.

--
Steve

Old 11-01-2009, 09:02 PM
NoOp

On 11/01/2009 12:31 PM, Steve wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 20:17:48 -0000, Faizan Kazi <faizan.s.kazi@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure why... but "gnome-system-monitor" is taking up over 40
>> percent
>> of my CPU time/usage... its super heating my laptop and i really dont
>> want
>> it to die of exhaustion.
>> Oh and my harddisk is always running!!! :s its always writing or reading
>> something from the harddisk... what is it doing???
>>
>> Regards,
>> Fez
>
> I believe this is a known issue with gnome system monitor. Have a look
> round Launchpad.

<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=gnome-system-monitor+%2Bhigh+cpu&field.actions.search=Search>

I've resorted to gps instead.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:16 AM
Faizan Kazi

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 3:02 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 11/01/2009 12:31 PM, Steve wrote:

> I believe this is a known issue with gnome system monitor. *Have a look

> round Launchpad.

<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=gnome-system-monitor+%2Bhigh+cpu&field.actions.search=Search>

I've resorted to gps instead.

Thanks! I just "apt-get remove"d gnome-system-monitor and everything is working great!!! cpu usage is down all the way. thanks guys! oh and thanks for giving me an alternative too (gps).

regards,
fez

Old 11-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Detlef Lechner

NoOp wrote:
> <https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=gnome-system-monitor+%2Bhigh+cpu&field.actions.search=Search>
>
> I've resorted to gps instead.
gps= /etc/logcheck/ignore.d.server/gps or what?

Detlef

Old 11-15-2009, 05:29 PM
NoOp

On 11/15/2009 09:16 AM, Detlef Lechner wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>> <https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=gnome-system-monitor+%2Bhigh+cpu&field.actions.search=Search>
>>
>> I've resorted to gps instead.
> gps= /etc/logcheck/ignore.d.server/gps or what?
>
> Detlef

http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/gps

Seems to be missing from karmic universe, but you can download & install
the deb from the above. Works on my karmic systems that were upgraded
from jaunty to karmic.

Old 11-15-2009, 05:46 PM
NoOp

On 11/15/2009 10:29 AM, NoOp wrote:
> On 11/15/2009 09:16 AM, Detlef Lechner wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>> <https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=gnome-system-monitor+%2Bhigh+cpu&field.actions.search=Search>
>>>
>>> I've resorted to gps instead.
>> gps= /etc/logcheck/ignore.d.server/gps or what?
>>
>> Detlef
>>

> http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/gps
>
> Seems to be missing from karmic universe, but you can download & install
> the deb from the above. Works on my karmic systems that were upgraded
> from jaunty to karmic.

Correction; you'll need to install all the dependencies as well. So,
it's not as simple as just installing the gps .deb. A bug report
requesting that it be packaged for karmic is probably in order:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gps

Old 11-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Detlef Lechner

NoOp wrote:
> On 11/15/2009 10:29 AM, NoOp wrote:

>>> gps= /etc/logcheck/ignore.d.server/gps or what?
>>>
>>> Detlef
>>>

>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/jaunty/gps
>>
>> Seems to be missing from karmic universe, but you can download & install
>> the deb from the above. Works on my karmic systems that were upgraded
>> from jaunty to karmic.
>>

> Correction; you'll need to install all the dependencies as well. So,
> it's not as simple as just installing the gps .deb. A bug report
> requesting that it be packaged for karmic is probably in order:
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gps
Thank you.

I have filed a bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gps/+bug/483539

Old 11-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Detlef Lechner

http://gps.seul.org/ seems to be authored by the main gps developer.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:17 PM
NoOp

On 11/16/2009 05:26 AM, Detlef Lechner wrote:
> Detlef Lechner wrote:
>> NoOp wrote:
>>
>>> On 11/15/2009 10:29 AM, NoOp wrote:
>>>

>> I have filed a bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gps/+bug/483539
> http://gps.seul.org/ seems to be authored by the main gps developer.

Ah. Thanks. That would explain why it hasn't been packaged for jaunty.

Don't bother trying grmonitor; I did and it crashed (seg fault).

Maybe it's time to re-explore gkrellm...
http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/gkrellm
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/billw/gkrellm/gkrellm.html