Old 11-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Luis Maceira

Default Imminent disk failu Serious warning or not? In Ubuntu 9.10.

Yesterday on Ubuntu 9.10 (completely updated) suddenly I received the*
warning "Imminent disk failure!",it seems was gdu-notifier(or so) that

generated the warning.Unfortunately smartmontools does not do an

effective monitoring/test on this disk Iomega Prestige mobile(not on

smartmontools database etc.).When I run Solaris,Ubuntu9.04 from the

same disk everything seems OK and I do not hear special noise or feel

high temperature or read/write operations seem not normal.Besides

the HDD has 1 month and Iomega drives are reliable.But running Ubuntu

9.10 always that warning.So,this seems a bug but that warning we never

know.Besides smartmontools,are there other ways to test the
HDD?

(since I do not have installed Windows or Mac the Iomega tools are useless

to me).Or,other way to get
S.M.A.R.T. data from the drive?Right now,

I can analyze S.M.A.R.T data (after some reading about its attributes).