Old 11-01-2009, 10:49 AM
nepal

Default Can I use 9.04 xorg.conf for missing 9.10 xorg.conf?

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 11:19:44 +0000
Chris Jones <christopher.rob.jones@cern.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Recent versions of X.org don't need it as they autodetect
> > everything. If
> > you need one just create it.
>
> As others have said, Xorg doesn't *need* one any more. You only need
> to create one if for some reason the auto-detection of the correct
> settings on the fly doesn't work in some way for your hardware.
>
> If you have a real problem and need to tweak the Xorg settings, then
> creating the file is fine. On the other hand, if your system was
> working fine without one, and you where just curious as to why it
> was missing, then I would recommend removing whatever you have
> created and let Xorg go back to how it likes to work these days.
>
> cheers Chris

Which is all well and good unless there is a problem, such as I have
now. I have 9.04 working fine on one drive, have installed 9.10 on
another drive and the display is not working correctly. The first
problem after installing the nvidia driver 185.xxxx suddenly all the
desktop fonts to the icons and menus shrank to about a 5 point size.
Why isn't the default a human readable standard size? duh!
The other problem I've encountered is in running Torcs and I get a
horrible flicker to the screen when racing which I don't get when I
play torcs on this 9.04 platform.

My question is can I use the xorg.conf that is currently in
9.04 /etc/x11 and is working without any known problems, can I use that
and put it in 9.10 under /etc/x11 with a reasonable expectation that I
will not break the new 9.10 install by doing so?

nepal.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:20 PM
David Curtis

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 11:49:08 +0000
nepal <nepal.roade@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 11:19:44 +0000
> Chris Jones <christopher.rob.jones@cern.ch> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > > Recent versions of X.org don't need it as they autodetect
> > > everything. If
> > > you need one just create it.
> >
> > As others have said, Xorg doesn't *need* one any more. You only
> > need to create one if for some reason the auto-detection of the
> > correct settings on the fly doesn't work in some way for your
> > hardware.
> >
> > If you have a real problem and need to tweak the Xorg settings,
> > then creating the file is fine. On the other hand, if your system
> > was working fine without one, and you where just curious as to why
> > it was missing, then I would recommend removing whatever you have
> > created and let Xorg go back to how it likes to work these days.
> >
> > cheers Chris
>
> Which is all well and good unless there is a problem, such as I have
> now. I have 9.04 working fine on one drive, have installed 9.10 on
> another drive and the display is not working correctly. The first
> problem after installing the nvidia driver 185.xxxx suddenly all the
> desktop fonts to the icons and menus shrank to about a 5 point size.
> Why isn't the default a human readable standard size? duh!
> The other problem I've encountered is in running Torcs and I get a
> horrible flicker to the screen when racing which I don't get when I
> play torcs on this 9.04 platform.
>
> My question is can I use the xorg.conf that is currently in
> 9.04 /etc/x11 and is working without any known problems, can I use
> that and put it in 9.10 under /etc/x11 with a reasonable expectation
> that I will not break the new 9.10 install by doing so?

Yes, you can use an older xorg.conf. Not much has changed in so far as
syntax in that file. But I do not think xorg is the issue with fonts
and the flicker in torcs.

Dave

Old 11-01-2009, 05:43 PM
nepal

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 12:20:40 -0500
David Curtis <dcurtis@uniserve.com> wrote:

> Yes, you can use an older xorg.conf. Not much has changed in so far as
> syntax in that file. But I do not think xorg is the issue with fonts
> and the flicker in torcs.
>
> Dave

OK, do you have an idea of what it might be?

my instinct is to try another driver, which is what I'll do next time I
boot that partition.

nepal.