Old 11-01-2009, 10:45 AM
born

Default why ubuntu 910 boot very slow?

hi,all!
**** before Oct 29th,I had install the ubuntu 910 beta on my notebook.At that time,it use 35 seconds to login into the system .
Yesterday,I installed the ubuntu 910 standard on the notebook.Now it use 75 seconds to login into the system.

My notebook is ASUS x31.the memory is 2G.
Is someone know the reason? Thanks any way!

Old 11-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Steve Flynn

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 11:45 AM, born <linuxbqj@gmail.com> wrote:

> **** before Oct 29th,I had install the ubuntu 910 beta on my notebook.At
> that time,it use 35 seconds to login into the system .
> Yesterday,I installed the ubuntu 910 standard on the notebook.Now it use 75
> seconds to login into the system.
>
> My notebook is ASUS x31.the memory is 2G.
> Is someone know the reason? Thanks any way!

It would be useful if you supplied a bootchart for your machine. Don't
post the png file it produces to the list - put it onto a fileshare
site and paste a link to it.

--
Steve

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Old 11-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Laxman Patel

I am facing same problem..............
Thanks and regards
Laxman

Undergraduate Student (B.Tech. Part-IV),
Centre of Advanced Studies,
Department of Electronics Engineering,

Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University,
Varanasi,UP- 221005, INDIA.

E-Mail * *: laxman.ece06@itbhu.ac.in *
Address : #100 Visvesvaryya Hostel, IT-BHU.

* * * * * * * *Mobile No. 9389223528
.................................................. ................

Old 11-01-2009, 11:18 AM
born

Thanks.

I can't find the menu.lst,but find a file grub.cfg.

This is my bootchart.
"
menuentry "Ubuntu, Linux 2.6.31-14-generic (on /dev/sda1)" {
*** insmod ext2
*** set root=(hd0,1)

*** search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 5ab34f14-7ee6-4746-96f2-66d456292f0a
*** linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=UUID=5ab34f14-7ee6-4746-96f2-66d456292f0a ro quiet splash
*** initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic

}
"

My file system is ext4.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Steve Flynn

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 12:18 PM, born <linuxbqj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> I can't find the menu.lst,but find a file grub.cfg.

Sorry - I mean a bootchart graphic, as produced by the bootchart
utility (http://www.bootchart.org/)

It's in the repos if it's not already installed on your machine.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:35 PM
born

Sorry,it's my fault。I will install that tool and put the bootchart result.
Thanks.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:12 PM
NoOp

On 11/01/2009 03:45 AM, born wrote:
> hi,all!
> before Oct 29th,I had install the ubuntu 910 beta on my notebook.At
> that time,it use 35 seconds to login into the system .
> Yesterday,I installed the ubuntu 910 standard on the notebook.Now it use 75
> seconds to login into the system.
>
> My notebook is ASUS x31.the memory is 2G.
> Is someone know the reason? Thanks any way!

<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bkarmic+%2Bslow +boot>
leads to multiple bug reports. You might want to review those & see if
perhaps there is an answer in one of them. Possibilities:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/linux/+bug/384579
[Linux thinks there’s a floppy drive when there’s not. Probing slows
down bootup by almost a minute.]
[Karmic slow boot]
[Very slow boot up times (2m 30s) on Karmic 9.10 compared to 25 secs
with Jaunty 9.04.]
More:
https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=karmic+%2Bslow+boot

Old 11-02-2009, 01:09 AM
born

hi,I update the kernel.Now it boot up fast.
I don't know why.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:39 AM
John Scott

At 17 seconds, this SATA RAID setup kicks the snot out of my windows startup time on the same system. Of course since this is the first non-wubi full install I have done so I have nothing to compare it to. I am using essentially the same software that I use on windows. Linux is much faster. The memory footprint is much lower. Even my normally bogged down Firefox with a zillion extensions is snappy. Whatever performance issues there are don't seem to affect my rig, aside from crappy wifi performance that is.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:08 AM
"Fred A. Miller"

John Scott wrote:
> At 17 seconds, this SATA RAID setup kicks the snot out of my windows
> startup time on the same system. Of course since this is the first
> non-wubi full install I have done so I have nothing to compare it to.
> I am using essentially the same software that I use on windows. Linux
> is much faster. The memory footprint is much lower. Even my normally
> bogged down Firefox with a zillion extensions is snappy. Whatever
> performance issues there are don't seem to affect my rig, aside from
> crappy wifi performance that is.
Wifi....yes....SLOW!

I tried to install on my HP Pav. with Opteron, SATA, nVidia, and
4G....the 64-bit version. There was a kernel problem, but I don't have
it nailed down yet. I hope to find out tomorrow so I'll have more
specs., but obviously, this shouldn't be happening. As to 9.10, on this
Dell laptop, it's the first time I really like Gnome....have hated it
for years. Further, all I've ever installed on a LOT of systems has been
SUSE and now openSUSE.....YEARS of dedication to SUSE and KDE. This too
might change, if there's a fix for the HP. I have a LOT of clients with
them, so converting them is on hold for how.

Fred

--
Windows 7: I wanted more reliable, so I have more reliable.
I use Linux.