Old 11-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Emil Payne

Default Dist Upgrade

I've been waiting but I still see no upgrade. Synaptic doesn't show
anything and neither does update-manager -d. I've got my preferences set
to show normal upgrades.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Tom H

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Emil Payne <EHSPayne@angelwoodpines.org> wrote:
> I've been waiting but I still see no upgrade. *Synaptic doesn't show
> anything and neither does update-manager -d. I've got my preferences set
> to show normal upgrades.

"-d" = upgrade to development version

Old 11-01-2009, 02:45 PM
Steve

Have you read http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

--
Steve

Old 11-01-2009, 07:06 PM
Emil Payne

Tom H wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Emil Payne <EHSPayne@angelwoodpines.org> wrote:
>> I've been waiting but I still see no upgrade. *Synaptic doesn't show
>> anything and neither does update-manager -d. I've got my preferences set
>> to show normal upgrades.
>
> "-d" = upgrade to development version

Quote from above "update-manager -d"

Old 11-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Emil Payne

Steve wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 14:56:14 -0000, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 12:07 PM, Emil Payne
>> <EHSPayne@angelwoodpines.org> wrote:
>>> I've been waiting but I still see no upgrade. Synaptic doesn't show
>>> anything and neither does update-manager -d. I've got my preferences set
>>> to show normal upgrades.
>> "-d" = upgrade to development version
>>
> Have you read http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

Just read it. Already did everything except download the ISO image and
try that way. But I'm trying to find out why update manager and
synaptic won't do it.

By the way. It worked fine on another machine here at home.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Steve

On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 20:08:35 -0000, Emil Payne
<EHSPayne@angelwoodpines.org> wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 14:56:14 -0000, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> "-d" = upgrade to development version
>>>
>> Have you read http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
>>
> Just read it. Already did everything except download the ISO image and
> try that way. But I'm trying to find out why update manager and
> synaptic won't do it.
>
> By the way. It worked fine on another machine here at home.

Have you run Update Manager? does it not show at the top?
--
Steve

Old 11-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Emil Payne

Steve wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 20:08:35 -0000, Emil Payne
> <EHSPayne@angelwoodpines.org> wrote:
>

>> Steve wrote:

>>> Have you read http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
>>>
>> Just read it. Already did everything except download the ISO image and
>> try that way. But I'm trying to find out
>>
>> By the way. It worked fine on another machine here at home.
>
> Have you run Update Manager? does it not show at the top?
YES, NO -
Quotes from above:
"and neither does update-manager -d"
"update manager ... won't do it."

Old 11-02-2009, 03:28 AM
Tom H

>>> I've been waiting but I still see no upgrade. *Synaptic doesn't show
>>> anything and neither does update-manager -d. I've got my preferences set
>>> to show normal upgrades.

>> "-d" = upgrade to development version

> Quote from above "update-manager -d"

My point was that when you add "-d" you are trying to upgrade to a
development version.

I have upgraded with "(sudo) do-release-upgrade -m desktop" but if you
prefer the GUI, why don't look at:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/karmic/en/man8/update-manager.8.html

Old 11-02-2009, 04:41 AM
Emil Payne

Tom H wrote:

>>> "-d" = upgrade to development version
>
>> Quote from above "update-manager -d"
>
> My point was that when you add "-d" you are trying to upgrade to a
> development version.
>
> I have upgraded with "(sudo) do-release-upgrade -m desktop"

Ok, Tried that and I get:
Checking for a new ubuntu release
No new release found

but if you
> prefer the GUI, why don't look at:
> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/karmic/en/man8/update-manager.8.html

Right now,update-manager is giving me warnings it was not giving earlier
today:
No protocol specified
/var/lib/python-support/python2.6/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:72:
GtkWarning: could not open display
warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
No protocol specified
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/update-manager", line 44, in <module>
gtk.init_check()
RuntimeError: could not open display

Old 11-02-2009, 05:05 AM
Tom H

>>> Quote from above "update-manager -d"
>>
>> My point was that when you add "-d" you are trying to upgrade to a
>> development version.
>>
>> I have upgraded with "(sudo) do-release-upgrade -m desktop"
>
> Ok, Tried that and I get:
> Checking for a new ubuntu release
> No new release found
>
> but if you
>> prefer the GUI, why don't look at:
>> http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/karmic/en/man8/update-manager.8.html
>>

> Right now,update-manager is giving me warnings it was not giving earlier
> today:
> No protocol specified
> /var/lib/python-support/python2.6/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py:72:
> GtkWarning: could not open display
> * warnings.warn(str(e), _gtk.Warning)
> No protocol specified
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> * File "/usr/bin/update-manager", line 44, in <module>
> * * gtk.init_check()
> RuntimeError: could not open display

You have these errors because you have run update-manager as root.

Try:
sudo update-manager -p