Old 11-01-2009, 08:05 AM
Eugeneapolinary Ju

Default remote gui with ssh

Hi!

client & "server" = Ubuntu 9.04
Both has GNOME GUI installed.

server [192.168.56.101]: I just install openssh-server on it, and set "DisallowTCP=false" in "/etc/gdm/gdm.config", then "/etc/init.d/gdm restart". Ok.

client: I press "Alt+Ctrl+F2", ok, then I:

$ ssh -X ubuntu@192.168.56.101 /etc/gdm/Xsession default
ubuntu@192.168.56.101's password:
/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
xrdb: Can't open display '
Setting IM through im-switch for locale=hu_HU.
Start IM through /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default.
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
I: caps.c: Dropping root privileges.
I: caps.c: Limited capabilities successfully to CAP_SYS_NICE.
GPG_AGENT_INFO=/tmp/seahorse-k6FXTU/S.gpg-agent:6252:1; export
GPG_AGENT_INFO

Why isn't it working? Am I missing something?

Please help..

thanks

Old 11-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Eugeneapolinary Ju

ok, I tried:

ssh -CX ubuntu@192.168.56.101 /usr/bin/gnome-panel

it gives me a panel, from where I can launch the applications on the remote machine, but it's still just an idea.

There is no such thing as "remote ssh gui"? :O I mean the remote machines full desktop through ssh?

thank you

Old 11-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Toshiya TSURU

hi.try nx. such as freenx.

--
Toshiya TSURU <turutosiya@gmail.com>
http://www.google.com/profiles/turutosiya

Old 11-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Jared Greenwald

Dude, I don't really understand what exactly you are trying to accomplish, but this seems like the least efficient and highest-bandwidth method.* Passing Gnome desktop information across ssh connections is about as high a bandwidth operation as there could be.* You could generate huge amounts of lag due to the large amounts of data being passed - even on the same local network.* Also, there is a reason for turning off the DissallowTCP option as it is highly insecure.* If this is the setting I'm thinking of, it allows the trusted-ness of a remote system to be spoofed by any system thus allowing any system on a given network access to running remote applications on your system without any serious authentication.

If you are just trying to control the remote desktop (Gnome session) of computer A from computer B, maybe you would be better served by using the remote desktop applications.* You can setup the settings for computer A via System -> Preferences -> Remote Desktop and then access it from computer B via Applications -> Internet -> Remote Desktop Viewer.* Also, you could setup a stripped-down system on computer B with a basic Xorg session and xtightvncviewer.

If you are just attempting to run specific applications remotely, you can accomplish that with ssh -Y (not -X).* This uses a secure connection to accomplish Xorg forwarding - basically a secure way to get around the DIsableTCP settings.

So yea, it really depends on what your ultimate goal is.

-Jared

Old 11-01-2009, 09:07 AM
Eugeneapolinary Ju

my goal is simple.

"mstsc" like remote desktop through a secure connection, under Linux.

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Old 11-01-2009, 09:18 AM
Jared Greenwald

Maybe what you are looking for is vnc via ssh tunnel...

Quick use of the google brings back this interesting article...

http://www.devshed.com/c/a/BrainDump/Secure-Remote-Desktop-Sharing-with-VNC-on-Linux/2/

While the article is written from an rpm-based distro point of view, the concepts should be the same for Ubuntu.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Philip Wyett

On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 02:07 -0800, Eugeneapolinary Ju wrote:
> my goal is simple.
>
> "mstsc" like remote desktop through a secure connection, under Linux.

Have a look at:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC#SSH%20port-forwarding

Regards

Phil

Old 11-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Rashkae

Jared Greenwald wrote:
> Dude, I don't really understand what exactly you are trying to accomplish,
> but this seems like the least efficient and highest-bandwidth method.
> Passing Gnome desktop information across ssh connections is about as high a
> bandwidth operation as there could be. You could generate huge amounts of
> lag due to the large amounts of data being passed - even on the same local
> network. Also, there is a reason for turning off the DissallowTCP option as

Actually, the bandwidth usage of running remote X desktops is so small
as to be almost un-noticeable. Unfortunately, X really doesn't like
network latency at all, and you'll find the desktop nigh unusable on any
connection with more than 1 or 2 ms latency. Even a local WiFi
connection is painful. so unless your hosts are on the same Ethernet,
then tightvnc is the way to go for this. Note that it's been my
experience that the default ubuntu gnome sessions will not work over
tight vnc unless you disable the gnome-settings keyboard and mouse
plugins. You can do this from gconf-editor (apps ->
gnome-settings-daemon...)

> it is highly insecure. If this is the setting I'm thinking of, it allows
> the trusted-ness of a remote system to be spoofed by any system thus
> allowing any system on a given network access to running remote applications
> on your system without any serious authentication.

That's a bit of an exaggeration. The security concern of X forwarding
is that root user of the remote system can monitor your local X session.
Not really a problem if the user is the administrator of both systems.