Old 11-01-2009, 06:49 AM
loody

Default NFS setting error in Ubuntu 8.10

Dear all:
I sudo apt-get install nfs-kernel-server, nfs-user-server and nfs-common.
After config /etc/exports as I need, I execute "nfs-kernel-server
restart", but I cannot see any message show out.
then I execute "showmount -e localhost" and I cannot see any files shared out.

below are my outputs:
# /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart
# showmount -e localhost
portmap getport: RPC: Success
#

if I execute "nfs-user-server restart", I can see my sharing folders as below:
# /etc/init.d/nfs-user-server restart
Stopping NFS servers: mountd nfsd.
Starting NFS servers: nfsd mountd.
# showmount -e localhost
Export list for localhost:
/media/test_NFS *
#

but I cannot mount it from another Ubuntu.
my questions are:
1. what is difference between "nfs-kernel-server" and "nfs-user-server"?
2. why my nfs-kernel-server doesn't show anything? did I miss something?
3. are there any additional commands or packages can help me to find
out what's wrong?
appreciate your help,
miloody

Old 11-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Tom H

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 9:49 AM, loody <miloody@gmail.com> wrote:

> I sudo apt-get install nfs-kernel-server, nfs-user-server and nfs-common.
> After config /etc/exports as I need, I execute "nfs-kernel-server
> restart", but I cannot see any message show out.
> then I execute "showmount -e localhost" and I cannot see any files shared out.
>
> below are my outputs:
> # /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart
> # showmount -e localhost
> portmap getport: RPC: Success
> #
>
> if I execute "nfs-user-server restart", I can see my sharing folders as below:
> # /etc/init.d/nfs-user-server restart
> Stopping NFS servers: mountd nfsd.
> Starting NFS servers: nfsd mountd.
> # showmount -e localhost
> Export list for localhost:
> /media/test_NFS * * **
> #
>
> but I cannot mount it from another Ubuntu.
> my questions are:
> 1. what is difference between "nfs-kernel-server" and "nfs-user-server"?
> 2. why my nfs-kernel-server doesn't show anything? did I miss something?
> 3. are there any additional commands or packages can help me to find
> out what's wrong?

1. nfs-user-server runs in user-space. It was replaced by unfs in
Jaunty. It is less reliable and is limited to nfsv2. It also has other
limitations when compared to nfs-kernel-server but I have forgotten
them.

2. I am surprised that you are able to install them both. I thought
that they were incompatible. I would uninstall nfs-user-server, set up
nfs-kernel-server again, and make sure that all the relevant services
are running (if you want to use nfs-kernel-server). With
nfs-user-server, you might need to force an nfsv2 mount on your
client.

3. "rpcinfo -p nfs_server" and "nmap -n -sT nfs_server"

Old 11-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Tom H

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 11:23 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 9:49 AM, loody <miloody@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I sudo apt-get install nfs-kernel-server, nfs-user-server and nfs-common.
>> After config /etc/exports as I need, I execute "nfs-kernel-server
>> restart", but I cannot see any message show out.
>> then I execute "showmount -e localhost" and I cannot see any files shared out.

>> below are my outputs:
>> # /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart
>> # showmount -e localhost
>> portmap getport: RPC: Success
>> #

>> if I execute "nfs-user-server restart", I can see my sharing folders as below:
>> # /etc/init.d/nfs-user-server restart
>> Stopping NFS servers: mountd nfsd.
>> Starting NFS servers: nfsd mountd.
>> # showmount -e localhost
>> Export list for localhost:
>> /media/test_NFS * * **
>> #

>> but I cannot mount it from another Ubuntu.
>> my questions are:
>> 1. what is difference between "nfs-kernel-server" and "nfs-user-server"?
>> 2. why my nfs-kernel-server doesn't show anything? did I miss something?
>> 3. are there any additional commands or packages can help me to find
>> out what's wrong?

> 1. nfs-user-server runs in user-space. It was replaced by unfs in
> Jaunty. It is less reliable and is limited to nfsv2. It also has other
> limitations when compared to nfs-kernel-server but I have forgotten
> them.

> 2. I am surprised that you are able to install them both. I thought
> that they were incompatible. I would uninstall nfs-user-server, set up
> nfs-kernel-server again, and make sure that all the relevant services
> are running (if you want to use nfs-kernel-server). With
> nfs-user-server, you might need to force an nfsv2 mount on your
> client.

> 3. "rpcinfo -p nfs_server" and "nmap -n -sT nfs_server"

Forgot, on nfs_server, "netstat -ntulp"

Old 11-09-2009, 02:37 AM
loody

Hi:

2009/11/3 Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 11:23 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 9:49 AM, loody <miloody@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I sudo apt-get install nfs-kernel-server, nfs-user-server and nfs-common.
>>> After config /etc/exports as I need, I execute "nfs-kernel-server
>>> restart", but I cannot see any message show out.
>>> then I execute "showmount -e localhost" and I cannot see any files shared out.
>
>>> below are my outputs:
>>> # /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart
>>> # showmount -e localhost
>>> portmap getport: RPC: Success
>>> #
>
>>> if I execute "nfs-user-server restart", I can see my sharing folders as below:
>>> # /etc/init.d/nfs-user-server restart
>>> Stopping NFS servers: mountd nfsd.
>>> Starting NFS servers: nfsd mountd.
>>> # showmount -e localhost
>>> Export list for localhost:
>>> /media/test_NFS * * **
>>> #
>
>>> but I cannot mount it from another Ubuntu.
>>> my questions are:
>>> 1. what is difference between "nfs-kernel-server" and "nfs-user-server"?
>>> 2. why my nfs-kernel-server doesn't show anything? did I miss something?
>>> 3. are there any additional commands or packages can help me to find
>>> out what's wrong?
>
>> 1. nfs-user-server runs in user-space. It was replaced by unfs in
>> Jaunty. It is less reliable and is limited to nfsv2. It also has other
>> limitations when compared to nfs-kernel-server but I have forgotten
>> them.
>
>> 2. I am surprised that you are able to install them both. I thought
>> that they were incompatible. I would uninstall nfs-user-server, set up
>> nfs-kernel-server again, and make sure that all the relevant services
>> are running (if you want to use nfs-kernel-server). With
>> nfs-user-server, you might need to force an nfsv2 mount on your
>> client.
>
>> 3. "rpcinfo -p nfs_server" and "nmap -n -sT nfs_server"
>
> Forgot, on nfs_server, "netstat -ntulp"

I remove all the nfs package and reinstall them.
it works right now
but I find the NFS file accessing is pretty slow.
Is there any setting or packages can help me accelerate the speed?
appreciate your help,
miloody