Old 11-01-2009, 03:58 AM
Knute Johnson

Default Where did xorg.conf go?

Steve Reilly wrote:
> Knute Johnson wrote:
>> Steve Reilly wrote:

>>> full path is /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>>>
>> Yeah, that's kind of my point, its not there.
>>

> whats the output of
>
> locate xorg.conf
>
> in a terminal

/usr/share/man/man5/xorg.conf.5.gz

So I put my own xorg.conf file in and it works fine. I was just
surprised that their wasn't one by default.

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson
knute2009@knutejohnson.com

Old 11-01-2009, 04:08 AM
NoOp

On 10/31/2009 09:22 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
> I just installed xubuntu on my laptop

You know it would *really* help folks if you were kind/smart enough to
tell the list just which version of xubuntu you installed on your
laptop. You're not new here... so how about providing some details?

Old 11-01-2009, 04:16 AM
Knute Johnson

NoOp wrote:
> On 10/31/2009 09:22 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
>> I just installed xubuntu on my laptop
>
> You know it would *really* help folks if you were kind/smart enough to
> tell the list just which version of xubuntu you installed on your
> laptop. You're not new here... so how about providing some details?

Sorry, I assumed you would think I installed 9.10. In any case after
the install there was no xorg.conf file. But I wrote one and it works now.

Thanks,

Old 11-01-2009, 05:55 AM
Florian Diesch

Knute Johnson <knute2009@knutejohnson.com> writes:

> Steve Reilly wrote:
>> Knute Johnson wrote:
>>> I just installed xubuntu on my laptop and I need to edit xorg.conf to
>>> get it into 1024x768 but there is no xorg.conf?
>>>
>>> What's up with that?
>>>

>> full path is /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>>

> Yeah, that's kind of my point, its not there.

Recent versions of X.org don't need it as they autodetect everything. If
you need one just create it.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/linux/asciipinguine.html>

Old 11-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Chris Jones

Hi,

> Recent versions of X.org don't need it as they autodetect
> everything. If
> you need one just create it.

As others have said, Xorg doesn't *need* one any more. You only need
to create one if for some reason the auto-detection of the correct
settings on the fly doesn't work in some way for your hardware.

If you have a real problem and need to tweak the Xorg settings, then
creating the file is fine. On the other hand, if your system was
working fine without one, and you where just curious as to why it was
missing, then I would recommend removing whatever you have created and
let Xorg go back to how it likes to work these days.

cheers Chris

Old 11-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Knute Johnson

Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Recent versions of X.org don't need it as they autodetect
>> everything. If
>> you need one just create it.
>
> As others have said, Xorg doesn't *need* one any more. You only need
> to create one if for some reason the auto-detection of the correct
> settings on the fly doesn't work in some way for your hardware.
>
> If you have a real problem and need to tweak the Xorg settings, then
> creating the file is fine. On the other hand, if your system was
> working fine without one, and you where just curious as to why it was
> missing, then I would recommend removing whatever you have created and
> let Xorg go back to how it likes to work these days.
>
> cheers Chris

Thanks guys. My laptop won't go to 1024x768 without the xorg.conf file
so that's why I was surprised when it wasn't there.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:57 PM
Steve Reilly

Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Recent versions of X.org don't need it as they autodetect
>> everything. If
>> you need one just create it.
>
> As others have said, Xorg doesn't *need* one any more. You only need
> to create one if for some reason the auto-detection of the correct
> settings on the fly doesn't work in some way for your hardware.
>
> If you have a real problem and need to tweak the Xorg settings, then
> creating the file is fine. On the other hand, if your system was
> working fine without one, and you where just curious as to why it was
> missing, then I would recommend removing whatever you have created and
> let Xorg go back to how it likes to work these days.
>
> cheers Chris

im curious now. this weekends project was to upgrade a frontend and
backend/frontend with 9.10 mythbuntu. everything went smooth on the
dell desktop, no problems at all actually, scary. but on the combo
desktop, self built with nvidia 8200 chipset, this booted to a command
line. first thing I did was sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change
nvidia driver to vesa, startx, then fix the driver install.

does 9.10 mythbuntu not use the same xorg as 9.10 ubuntu?

or does the proprietary driver install make an xorg.conf?

--
Steve Reilly
http://reillyblog.com

Old 11-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Knute Johnson

Steve Reilly wrote:
> Chris Jones wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> Recent versions of X.org don't need it as they autodetect
>>> everything. If
>>> you need one just create it.
>> As others have said, Xorg doesn't *need* one any more. You only need
>> to create one if for some reason the auto-detection of the correct
>> settings on the fly doesn't work in some way for your hardware.
>>
>> If you have a real problem and need to tweak the Xorg settings, then
>> creating the file is fine. On the other hand, if your system was
>> working fine without one, and you where just curious as to why it was
>> missing, then I would recommend removing whatever you have created and
>> let Xorg go back to how it likes to work these days.
>>
>> cheers Chris
>>
> im curious now. this weekends project was to upgrade a frontend and
> backend/frontend with 9.10 mythbuntu. everything went smooth on the
> dell desktop, no problems at all actually, scary. but on the combo
> desktop, self built with nvidia 8200 chipset, this booted to a command
> line. first thing I did was sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change
> nvidia driver to vesa, startx, then fix the driver install.
>
> does 9.10 mythbuntu not use the same xorg as 9.10 ubuntu?
>
> or does the proprietary driver install make an xorg.conf?

I sure don't know. I first did an upgrade from 9.04 and that went
flawlessly except that I ended up with both an XFCE power management app
and the original gnome app that was already there. I'm sure that must
have left my original xorg.conf alone. I then did a clean install of
xubuntu 9.10 to see if there were any differences with the grub2 and
ext4. That's when the monitor went to 800x600.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:51 PM
James Michael Fultz

* Steve Reilly <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> [2009-11-01 11:57 -0500]:
> does 9.10 mythbuntu not use the same xorg as 9.10 ubuntu?
>
> or does the proprietary driver install make an xorg.conf?

My experience has been that using the proprietary driver from nVidia
results in creation or modification of 'xorg.conf' in order to
explicitly set 'Driver "nvidia"'.