Old 11-01-2009, 01:01 AM
thomas

Default The unwanted upgrade

I just got upgraded to the new version. Did not realize that the automatic
upgrades was for the new version.

Well, only my e/m and browser work now. I lost my wireless speakers and
was not able to connect to the stations that I was listening to before the
light on the wireless speakers transmitter clicked off.

To the powers that be - please give users a CLEAR option to upgrade before
doing it. This to me seems like a regular upgrade.

Thomas

Old 11-01-2009, 01:31 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

> I just got upgraded to the new version. Did not realize
> that the automatic
> upgrades was for the new version.

Just how did you do it? Exactly what did you do?

Old 11-01-2009, 02:05 AM
thomas

I was typing an e/m note when the upgrade indication came on.

I clicked yes and resumed my typing. Much later on I saw the
upgrade screen which stated that it was in the process of deleting
the previous version modules. At that stage it was too late to
reject the upgrade.

The sound problem might be solvable by plugging in the wired
speakers again. Too bad since I like to listen in other parts of
the house and even outside.

Thanks

Thomas

Old 11-01-2009, 03:15 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

> I clicked yes and resumed my typing. Much later on I saw
> the
> upgrade screen which stated that it was in the process of
> deleting
> the previous version modules. At that stage it was too late
> reject the upgrade.

Must be in gnome update notifier. I use kde and the kde updater popsup with a listing of the upgrades greyed out. You have to select updates and then clich apply before anything is installed. Plenty of time to see what version is being installed/upgraded. I'm on karmic of course and don't know how it would be if an upgrade version was available. I do agree that you should have a choice to reject it on a version upgrade.

> The sound problem might be solvable by plugging in the
> wired
> speakers again. Too bad since I like to listen in other
> parts of
> the house and even outside.

Sorry, I don't know much about sound. Mine, wired, 64 bit just works out of the box. Maybe there is sone setting for alsa to activate it. Just talking, don't really know.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:10 PM
Steve

On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 02:01:39 -0000, thomas <valhalla2100@comcast.net>
wrote:

> I just got upgraded to the new version. Did not realize that the
> automatic
> upgrades was for the new version.
>
> Well, only my e/m and browser work now. I lost my wireless speakers and
> was not able to connect to the stations that I was listening to before
> the
> light on the wireless speakers transmitter clicked off.
>
> To the powers that be - please give users a CLEAR option to upgrade
> before
> doing it. This to me seems like a regular upgrade.
>
> Thomas

A new version of what?

To upgrade to a new version of Ubuntu requires several mouse clicks, with
the Update Manager expalining what is happening at each stage and allowing
you to back out. It is rather hard to do accidentally.

--
Steve

Old 11-02-2009, 02:55 AM
thomas

Steve wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 02:01:39 -0000, thomas <valhalla2100@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>

>> I just got upgraded to the new version. Did not realize that the
>> automatic
>> upgrades was for the new version.
>>
>> Well, only my e/m and browser work now. I lost my wireless speakers and
>> was not able to connect to the stations that I was listening to before
>> the
>> light on the wireless speakers transmitter clicked off.
>>
>> To the powers that be - please give users a CLEAR option to upgrade
>> before
>> doing it. This to me seems like a regular upgrade.
>>
>> Thomas
>>

> A new version of what?
>
> To upgrade to a new version of Ubuntu requires several mouse clicks, with
> the Update Manager expalining what is happening at each stage and allowing
> you to back out. It is rather hard to do accidentally.

Not really.

I got the pop up window stating that there were downloads. I clicked to
accept,
expecting just routine downloads. When I noticed the text it was
something like
removing the old. At that stage, regardless of failures on my part to
really note
what activities were about to happen or were happening it was too late so I
just decided to go on.

Then the wireless speakers' transmission did not work when rebooted. Just
rebooted now and the problem is permanent until I get a fix. I have very new
Audio Unlimited 900Mhz Wireless Speakers with Remote Wireless speakers.
The problem is with the transmitter not being activated with any of the
various
audio feeds of stations (several) was listening to.

Thomas

Old 11-02-2009, 02:58 AM
thomas

Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> [...]
Thanks for the offer. Now I will look up alsa to see what that is.

Thaoms