Old 10-31-2009, 09:36 PM
Eugeneapolinary Ju

Default ssh -x gui

I know I could start a GUI program with SSH, on a remote machine:

ssh -X SOMEONE@192.168.56.101 /usr/bin/network-admin

but how can I get access to the "full" GUI? [because I don't want to launch every program one-by-one].

The man of ssh say's I should use "ssh -Y", because it's more secure.

Has anyone has any tips for it?

Old 10-31-2009, 10:13 PM
James Michael Fultz

* Eugeneapolinary Ju <eugeneapolinary81@yahoo.com> [2009-10-31 15:36 -0700]:
> I know I could start a GUI program with SSH, on a remote machine:
>
> ssh -X SOMEONE@192.168.56.101 /usr/bin/network-admin
>
> but how can I get access to the "full" GUI? [because I don't want to
> launch every program one-by-one].

The short answer is that you can't. However, you can leave the command
line open in order to run more programs in the background.

$ ssh -X SOMEONE@192.168.56.101
$ /usr/bin/network-admin &

<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH/OpenSSH/PortForwarding#Forwarding%20GUI%20Programs>

> The man of ssh say's I should use "ssh -Y", because it's more secure.
>
> Has anyone has any tips for it?

You may prefer the Remote Desktop feature if you really want access to
the full remote desktop.

System > Preferences > Remote Desktop

VNC is another option.

<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC>

Old 10-31-2009, 10:21 PM
Steve Reilly

Eugeneapolinary Ju wrote:
> I know I could start a GUI program with SSH, on a remote machine:
>
> ssh -X SOMEONE@192.168.56.101 /usr/bin/network-admin
>
> but how can I get access to the "full" GUI? [because I don't want to
> launch every program one-by-one].
>
> The man of ssh say's I should use "ssh -Y", because it's more secure.
>
> Has anyone has any tips for it?

if your looking to view someone elses desktop, you want to use remote
desktop, apps>internet>remote desktop. you need to enable remote
desktop on the host computer first though. system>pref>remote desktop.

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

Old 10-31-2009, 10:56 PM
NoOp

On 10/31/2009 04:13 PM, James Michael Fultz wrote:

> You may prefer the Remote Desktop feature if you really want access to
> the full remote desktop.
>
> System > Preferences > Remote Desktop

Just be sure to turn off compiz one the connecting machine first:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/353126>

> VNC is another option.
>
> <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNC>

That works. However, I'd also recommend NX:
http://www.nomachine.com/
or FreeNX
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeNX
Personally I've found NX just fine, download
(http://www.nomachine.com/download-package.php?Prod_Id=1348) &
double-click the packages to install in this order: client, node,
server. Eugeneapolinary Ju already had ssh installed, so no need to do
that first.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Derek Broughton

James Michael Fultz wrote:

> * Eugeneapolinary Ju <eugeneapolinary81@yahoo.com> [2009-10-31 15:36
> -0700]:
>> I know I could start a GUI program with SSH, on a remote machine:
>>
>> ssh -X SOMEONE@192.168.56.101 /usr/bin/network-admin
>>
>> but how can I get access to the "full" GUI? [because I don't want to
>> launch every program one-by-one].
>
> The short answer is that you can't.

No, the short answer is that you can ...

> You may prefer the Remote Desktop feature if you really want access to
> the full remote desktop.

I think that's what he really wants :-) For something tunneling over ssh,
NX would be the solution.
--
derek

Old 11-02-2009, 11:12 AM
"Arthur H. Johnson II"

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009, Steve Reilly wrote:

> Eugeneapolinary Ju wrote:
>> I know I could start a GUI program with SSH, on a remote machine:
>>
>> ssh -X SOMEONE@192.168.56.101 /usr/bin/network-admin
>>
>> but how can I get access to the "full" GUI? [because I don't want to
>> launch every program one-by-one].
>>
>> The man of ssh say's I should use "ssh -Y", because it's more secure.
>>
>> Has anyone has any tips for it?
>>

> if your looking to view someone elses desktop, you want to use remote
> desktop, apps>internet>remote desktop. you need to enable remote
> desktop on the host computer first though. system>pref>remote desktop.

You can run the full GUI over SSH. There is a few different ways to do
this. My preferred method would be to hit CTRL-ALT-F1 to bring up a
console:

1. log in
2. execute: xinit -- :1
- this should bring up just an xterminal
- move your mouse to this window
3. ssh to your remote workstation: ssh -X user@workstation
4. execute your window manager or desktop
- GNOME: gnome-session
- XFCE4: startxfce4
- I would recommend a lighter wm like openbox or windowmaker
- a full desktop might be a bit much for your connection

You can now switch between your local GUI and remote GUI with CTRL-ALT-F7
and CTRL-ALT-F8

It might be better, depending on your connection speed, to use something
like vnc. Running X this way depends on a very fast connection. There is
also a way to do this with GDM, but I can't remember how to set up the
client/server relationship, and have no idea how you would do this with
gdm2.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Derek Broughton

Arthur H. Johnson II wrote:

> It might be better, depending on your connection speed, to use something
> like vnc. Running X this way depends on a very fast connection. There is
> also a way to do this with GDM, but I can't remember how to set up the
> client/server relationship, and have no idea how you would do this with
> gdm2.

I think you mean XDMCP, but while I used to know how to configure XDMCP for
both KDM and GDM, it was a pain (that I had to relearn every time KDM was
upgraded) and I gave up and used NX instead.
--
derek