Old 01-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Art Edwards

Default kdm/gdm compatibility with KDE/gnome

I am running a feisty box under kdm. I have a user set that uses both
gnome and KDE. The KDE users have more active options for logging off,
including switching users, than the gnome users. gdm gives gnome users
greater flexibility than KDE users. So, it seems that both gdm and kdm
have chosen to become ghettos. Why?

Old 01-02-2008, 10:20 PM
anthony baldwin

Art Edwards wrote:
> I am running a feisty box under kdm. I have a user set that uses both
> gnome and KDE. The KDE users have more active options for logging off,
> including switching users, than the gnome users. gdm gives gnome users
> greater flexibility than KDE users. So, it seems that both gdm and kdm
> have chosen to become ghettos. Why?

Bah...
Install fluxbox and be done with 'em both, I say!
The more I use fluxbox, the more I like it.
I only have one problem with it...for some reason the alt key is
not functional in fluxbox, so I can't type stuff like
¡¿Que está haciendo, mijo?!
And Windows® sucks....
(¡¿®©...any mark that requires the alt-key...)

/tony

--
http://www.BaldwinLinguas.com
Translation & Interpreting

http://www.LinguasOS.org - Linux for Translators

Old 01-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Art Edwards

The problem is that this is not for me, but for the users. Linux is
supposed to be about choice, but the two most widely used display
managers are barely talking to each other. What's up?!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:42 AM
Derek Broughton

Art Edwards wrote:

> I am running a feisty box under kdm. I have a user set that uses both
> gnome and KDE. The KDE users have more active options for logging off,
> including switching users, than the gnome users. gdm gives gnome users
> greater flexibility than KDE users. So, it seems that both gdm and kdm
> have chosen to become ghettos. Why?

it's just a _login_ manager. KDE users get all those options from inside
their own session, so go with gdm and don't worry about it.
--
derek

Old 01-03-2008, 11:43 AM
Jan Torben Heuer

Art Edwards wrote:

> greater flexibility than KDE users. So, it seems that both gdm and kdm
> have chosen to become ghettos. Why?

Do you really want the WHOLE story? ;-) Or was your question something else?

Jan

Old 01-03-2008, 02:09 PM
John Carlyle-Clarke

Derek Broughton wrote:
> Art Edwards wrote:
>

>> I am running a feisty box under kdm. I have a user set that uses both
>> gnome and KDE. The KDE users have more active options for logging off,
>> including switching users, than the gnome users. gdm gives gnome users
>> greater flexibility than KDE users. So, it seems that both gdm and kdm
>> have chosen to become ghettos. Why?
>>

> it's just a _login_ manager. KDE users get all those options from inside
> their own session, so go with gdm and don't worry about it.

I'm not sure that's true. I know that the GNOME fast user switching
tool refuses to work if KDM is running instead of GDM. I'm not sure if
the same is true in reverse with KDE+GDM.