Old 10-31-2009, 03:54 PM
Raseel Bhagat

Default Which VM?

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 10:01 PM, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:

I am planing n rebuilding my laptop now that 9.10 is out. I want to be

able to run Ubuntu, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and perhaps XP as guest OS'es on this

machine.

I tried this a month or so ago with VirtualBox, and some of these OS'es did

not work under it. I understand that the one Linus is favoring is Xen.

What's the collective wisdom of the list on this? Which VM should I use?

I've been using VirtualBox for quite some time now.
Except for OpenBSD, which I have never tried, all other OSes you mentioned run pretty fine on it.

Is is confirmed that OpenBSD runs properly on Xen ?

Thanks,
Raseel

Old 10-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Rakotomandimby Mihamina

10/31/2009 07:31 PM, stan:
> What's the collective wisdom of the list on this? Which VM should I use?

Ubuntu's Official choice is KVM:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM

+261 33 11 207 36

Old 10-31-2009, 05:11 PM
stan

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 08:49:59PM +0300, Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
> 10/31/2009 07:31 PM, stan:
> > What's the collective wisdom of the list on this? Which VM should I use?
>
> Ubuntu's Official choice is KVM:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM

OK, that makes it a canidate.

Anyone know if FreeBSD, and OpenBSD work with this? I see from
the referenced web page that XP does.
programs.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:45 PM
Zoolook

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 3:11 PM, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 08:49:59PM +0300, Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
>> 10/31/2009 07:31 PM, stan:
>> > What's the collective wisdom of the list on this? Which VM should I use?
>>
>> Ubuntu's Official choice is KVM:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM
>
> OK, that makes it a canidate.
>
> Anyone know if FreeBSD, and OpenBSD work with this? I see from
> the referenced web page that XP does.

I know FBSD does. I haven't tried OBSD but it should work without problems.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:04 PM
NoOp

On 10/31/2009 10:49 AM, Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
> 10/31/2009 07:31 PM, stan:
>> What's the collective wisdom of the list on this? Which VM should I use?
>
> Ubuntu's Official choice is KVM:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM

You do realize of course that your hardware must be able to support
KVM... right?
http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Main_Page
<quote>
KVM (for Kernel-based Virtual Machine) is a full virtualization solution
for Linux on x86 hardware containing virtualization extensions (Intel VT
or AMD-V).
</quote>

Don't waste your time if your hardware won't support it:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/Installation
[How to check if your CPU supports hardware virtualisation]

My vote is for VirtualBox (PEUL version).

Old 10-31-2009, 10:13 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

NoOp wrote:
> On 10/31/2009 10:49 AM, Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
>> 10/31/2009 07:31 PM, stan:
>>> What's the collective wisdom of the list on this? Which VM should I use?
>> Ubuntu's Official choice is KVM:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM
>>

> You do realize of course that your hardware must be able to support
> KVM... right?
> http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Main_Page
> <quote>
> KVM (for Kernel-based Virtual Machine) is a full virtualization solution
> for Linux on x86 hardware containing virtualization extensions (Intel VT
> or AMD-V).
> </quote>
>
> Don't waste your time if your hardware won't support it:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/Installation
> [How to check if your CPU supports hardware virtualisation]
>
> My vote is for VirtualBox (PEUL version).

I agree with noop. I run virtualbox (PUEL) for half a year with various
OS'es and it works very well and is easy to use.
Joep

Old 11-01-2009, 02:56 PM
Verde Denim

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 7:13 PM, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:

NoOp wrote:

> On 10/31/2009 10:49 AM, Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:

>> 10/31/2009 07:31 PM, stan:

>>> What's the collective wisdom of the list on this? Which VM should I use?

>> Ubuntu's Official choice is KVM:

>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM

> You do realize of course that your hardware must be able to support

> KVM... right?

> http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Main_Page

> <quote>

> KVM (for Kernel-based Virtual Machine) is a full virtualization solution

> for Linux on x86 hardware containing virtualization extensions (Intel VT

> or AMD-V).

> </quote>

> Don't waste your time if your hardware won't support it:

> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/Installation

> [How to check if your CPU supports hardware virtualisation]

> My vote is for VirtualBox (PEUL version).

I agree with noop. I run virtualbox (PUEL) for half a year with various

OS'es and it works very well and is easy to use.

Joep
*
I second with noop and joep. I run virtualbox (PUEL) with Ubuntu, Gentoo, XP (64), M$ server 03R2, and BT4. All are running merrily along... If I could find a utility to turn a VBox disc into a vmware disc It'd be a perfect world so I wouldn't have to create dev and test scenarios twice (one for me and one for work)...

Regards

Jack

Old 11-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Rakotomandimby Mihamina

10/31/2009 11:04 PM, NoOp:
> Don't waste your time if your hardware won't support it:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/Installation
> [How to check if your CPU supports hardware virtualisation]
> My vote is for VirtualBox (PEUL version).

- OP did not tell what is his CPU
- KVM on compliant hardware (most 64bit CPU are)
is much faster than VBox.

+261 33 11 207 36

Old 11-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Rashkae

Rakotomandimby Mihamina wrote:
> 10/31/2009 11:04 PM, NoOp:
>> Don't waste your time if your hardware won't support it:
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/KVM/Installation
>> [How to check if your CPU supports hardware virtualisation]
>> My vote is for VirtualBox (PEUL version).
>
> - OP did not tell what is his CPU
> - KVM on compliant hardware (most 64bit CPU are)

Beware of Intel. I was unpleasantly surprised recently to learn that
Intel has chosen to remove the virtualization feature on most of their
newer Core 2 Duo models.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:26 PM
NoOp

On 11/01/2009 07:56 AM, Verde Denim wrote:
>> I second with noop and joep. I run virtualbox (PUEL) with Ubuntu, Gentoo,
>> XP (64), M$ server 03R2, and BT4. All are running merrily along... If I
>> could find a utility to turn a VBox disc into a vmware disc It'd be a
>> perfect world so I wouldn't have to create dev and test scenarios twice (one
>> for me and one for work)...
>>

> Regards
>
> Jack

VBoxManage?
Perhaps this will help:
<http://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/view/3773/convert-vdi-to-vmdk-virtualbox-hard-disk-conversion-to-vmware-hard-disk-format>
and perhaps: doc - 8.7 VBoxManage export?