Old 10-31-2009, 01:17 PM
Chris Jones

Default cifs mount not working after 9.10 upgrade

Hi,

After upgrading to 9.10 (from 9.04) my cifs mount is no longer working
properly. I have in /etc/fstab

//Quark/MassStore1 /media/MassStore1 cifs credentials=/
root
/.smbcredentials
,iocharset=utf8,rw,uid=501,file_mode=0777,dir_mode =0777 0 0

'mount' claims it is mounted

psubuntu ~ > mount
<snip>
//Quark/MassStore1 on /media/MassStore1 type cifs (rw,mand)

But nothing is shown at the mount point

psubuntu ~ > ls /media/MassStore1
psubuntu ~ >

The drive is mounted to some degree, since df knows the device size
and usage

psubuntu ~ > df -h
<snip>
//Quark/MassStore1 932G 391G 542G 42% /media/MassStore1

So... Any ideas why I cannot see the data on the drive ? Anyone else
having cifs problems with 9.10 ?

The exact same setup worked just fine with 9.04.

cheers Chris

Old 10-31-2009, 04:20 PM
Chris Jones

Hi,

> So... Any ideas why I cannot see the data on the drive ? Anyone else
> having cifs problems with 9.10 ?

Apparently this is a known issue. See

noserverino workaround at the end of the discussion works for me.

Chris

Old 10-31-2009, 05:25 PM
Pierre Frenkiel

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009, Chris Jones wrote:

> So... Any ideas why I cannot see the data on the drive ? Anyone else
> having cifs problems with 9.10 ?

it's worse for me: the mount doesn't work at all. I get:
mount error(5): Input/output error
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

> The exact same setup worked just fine with 9.04.
for me, the exact same setup worked with 8.10

At last, I got a fix by replacing the hostname by its IP address

--
Pierre Frenkiel

Old 10-31-2009, 09:56 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Pierre Frenkiel wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Oct 2009, Chris Jones wrote:
>
>> So... Any ideas why I cannot see the data on the drive ? Anyone else
>> having cifs problems with 9.10 ?
>
> it's worse for me: the mount doesn't work at all. I get:
> mount error(5): Input/output error
> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)
>
>> The exact same setup worked just fine with 9.04.
> for me, the exact same setup worked with 8.10
>
> At last, I got a fix by replacing the hostname by its IP address

I have just upgraded to the new 9.10 release and my smb connections work
automatically. I don't need to do a mount.cifs to see my shared
directories on my Windows systems. To be correct I haven't tried a
mount.cifs for obvious reasons.
Joep

Old 10-31-2009, 10:24 PM
Chris Jones

Hi,

> I have just upgraded to the new 9.10 release and my smb connections
> work
> automatically. I don't need to do a mount.cifs to see my shared
> directories on my Windows systems. To be correct I haven't tried a
> mount.cifs for obvious reasons.

I think it depends on the accessibility your shares have - If they
don't require a login then your approach probably works fine. Mine
do, and I have only ever been able to get them mounted with the full
mount.cifs command I posted earlier, with access credentials.

Chris

Old 10-31-2009, 11:44 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I have just upgraded to the new 9.10 release and my smb connections
>> work
>> automatically. I don't need to do a mount.cifs to see my shared
>> directories on my Windows systems. To be correct I haven't tried a
>> mount.cifs for obvious reasons.
>
> I think it depends on the accessibility your shares have - If they
> don't require a login then your approach probably works fine. Mine
> do, and I have only ever been able to get them mounted with the full
> mount.cifs command I posted earlier, with access credentials.
>
> Chris

Chris,
They require a login but I have Linux and Windows users shared and a;;
users are also users on the main server.
Joep

Old 11-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Chris Jones

On 1 Nov 2009, at 12:44am, Joep L. Blom wrote:

> Chris Jones wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I have just upgraded to the new 9.10 release and my smb connections
>>> work
>>> automatically. I don't need to do a mount.cifs to see my shared
>>> directories on my Windows systems. To be correct I haven't tried a
>>> mount.cifs for obvious reasons.
>>
>> I think it depends on the accessibility your shares have - If they
>> don't require a login then your approach probably works fine. Mine
>> do, and I have only ever been able to get them mounted with the full
>> mount.cifs command I posted earlier, with access credentials.
>>
>> Chris
>>
> Chris,
> They require a login but I have Linux and Windows users shared and a;;
> users are also users on the main server.

Thanks. One other thing - Are you mounts available at the command line
or only in some GUI file browser like nautilus. I know that fine
managers these days do often provide auto-mounting of remote file
systems like this, smb, sshfs etc., but these mounts are only visible
in the file manager. I want them mount like any other proper
filesystem, at the command line.

So, just out of interest how exactly do you mount your shares, and how
are they visible ?

cheers Chris

Old 11-01-2009, 12:50 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Chris Jones wrote:
> On 1 Nov 2009, at 12:44am, Joep L. Blom wrote:
>
>> Chris Jones wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> I think it depends on the accessibility your shares have - If they
>>> don't require a login then your approach probably works fine. Mine
>>> do, and I have only ever been able to get them mounted with the full
>>> mount.cifs command I posted earlier, with access credentials.
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>
>> Chris,
>> They require a login but I have Linux and Windows users shared and a;;
>> users are also users on the main server.
>
> Thanks. One other thing - Are you mounts available at the command line
> or only in some GUI file browser like nautilus. I know that fine
> managers these days do often provide auto-mounting of remote file
> systems like this, smb, sshfs etc., but these mounts are only visible
> in the file manager. I want them mount like any other proper
> filesystem, at the command line.
>
> So, just out of interest how exactly do you mount your shares, and how
> are they visible ?
>
> cheers Chris

Chris,
As you guessed, I use it under X and the directories are mounted using
the standard tools from samba which are now incorporated in a.o. nautilus.
But just out of interest I tried to mount from the commandline and found
that mount.cifs has disappeared. I assume the developers in their
infallible wisdom developed some other script (or changed the name) but
forgot to mention it. It would be nice if somewhere a notice had
appeared that mount.cifs was depreciated just as the good old mount.smb
has been depreciated and replaced by mount.cifs (and also mount.smbfs).
I have a running Hardy and there mount.cifs and mount.smbfs are still
available. What happened with it in Karmic I don't know. I have the
impression that canonical is more and more trying to hide the real
processes from the user and urges him to use the graphical layer only.
It makes it more equal to commercial OSes like M$ OS and Apple (which is
Unix based on I think BSD hidden under the apple look) but it makes
life for normal(?) (more technical) users harder.
Just my 0.02 €.
Joep

Old 11-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Chris Jones

> As you guessed, I use it under X and the directories are mounted using
> the standard tools from samba which are now incorporated in a.o.
> nautilus.
> But just out of interest I tried to mount from the commandline and
> found
> that mount.cifs has disappeared. I assume the developers in their
> infallible wisdom developed some other script (or changed the name)
> but
> forgot to mention it. It would be nice if somewhere a notice had
> appeared that mount.cifs was depreciated just as the good old
> mount.smb
> has been depreciated and replaced by mount.cifs (and also
> mount.smbfs).
> I have a running Hardy and there mount.cifs and mount.smbfs are still
> available. What happened with it in Karmic I don't know. I have the
> impression that canonical is more and more trying to hide the real
> processes from the user and urges him to use the graphical layer only.
> It makes it more equal to commercial OSes like M$ OS and Apple
> (which is
> Unix based on I think BSD hidden under the apple look) but it makes
> life for normal(?) (more technical) users harder.
> Just my 0.02 €.

mount.cifs is still there in karmic. You just don't have it
installed....

> sudo apt-get install smbclient

I think ...

Chris

Old 11-01-2009, 01:39 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Chris Jones wrote:
>> As you guessed, I use it under X and the directories are mounted using
>> the standard tools from samba which are now incorporated in a.o.
>> nautilus.
>> But just out of interest I tried to mount from the commandline and
>> found
>> that mount.cifs has disappeared. I assume the developers in their
>> infallible wisdom developed some other script (or changed the name)
>> but
>> forgot to mention it. It would be nice if somewhere a notice had
>> appeared that mount.cifs was depreciated just as the good old
>> mount.smb
>> has been depreciated and replaced by mount.cifs (and also
>> mount.smbfs).
>> I have a running Hardy and there mount.cifs and mount.smbfs are still
>> available. What happened with it in Karmic I don't know. I have the
>> impression that canonical is more and more trying to hide the real
>> processes from the user and urges him to use the graphical layer only.
>> It makes it more equal to commercial OSes like M$ OS and Apple
>> (which is
>> Unix based on I think BSD hidden under the apple look) but it makes
>> life for normal(?) (more technical) users harder.
>> Just my 0.02 €.
>
> mount.cifs is still there in karmic. You just don't have it
> installed....
>
> > sudo apt-get install smbclient
>
> I think ...
>
> Chris

No, not in my Karmic. Do you have upgraded to the offical version,
released last Saturday?
My smbclient installs:
../findsmb;../smbclient;../smbget;../smbtar:../smbspool;../smbtree;../smbcalcs;../smbcquotas;../rpcclient;
(..=/usr/bin/) but no cif or smbfs.
If I go to synaptic and search for mount.cifs I only get libpammount
which does something for automatically mounting and unmounting on
file-servers related to the security of the connection..
I am curious what has happened as in the graphical environment mounting
of e.g. windows-shares gives no problem.
Joep