FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-31-2009, 09:10 AM
Karl Auer
 
Default virtualising vbox

Just for fun, I tried installing VirtualBox on an Ubuntu 9.04 VM. It
seemed to work, right up to when I tried to start it :-) At that point
it hung. After several minutes I decided it had no intentions of
returning to life and stopped it.

Before I spend anymore time on it, is it silly to expect VirtualBox to
run on a VirtualBox VM? Is there a trick?

I suspect it *is* silly, but it would be so cool if it worked :-)

Regards, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) +61-2-64957160 (h)
http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/ +61-428-957160 (mob)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2009, 09:14 AM
Putu Wiramaswara Widya
 
Default virtualising vbox

2009/10/31 Karl Auer <kauer@biplane.com.au>:
> Just for fun, I tried installing VirtualBox on an Ubuntu 9.04 VM. It
> seemed to work, right up to when I tried to start it :-) At that point
> it hung. After several minutes I decided it had no intentions of
> returning to life and stopped it.
>
> Before I spend anymore time on it, is it silly to expect VirtualBox to
> run on a VirtualBox VM? Is there a trick?
>
> I suspect it *is* silly, but it would be so cool if it worked :-)
>

What version is your VirtualBox?
You may download the newest version from [0]

[0] http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads

CMIIW
--
Putu Wiramaswara Widya
http://wiramaswara.blogspot.com

PL : http://plurk.com/initrunlevel0
FB : http://facebook.com/wiramaswara
TT : http://twitter.com/wiramaswara

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2009, 09:24 AM
Karl Auer
 
Default virtualising vbox

On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 18:14 +0800, Putu Wiramaswara Widya wrote:
> > Before I spend anymore time on it, is it silly to expect VirtualBox to
> > run on a VirtualBox VM? Is there a trick?
> What version is your VirtualBox?

3.0.10 r54097. This appears to be the latest version.

Do you mean that it works with the latest version?

> CMIIW

What does this abbreviation mean?

Regards, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) +61-2-64957160 (h)
http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/ +61-428-957160 (mob)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2009, 09:29 AM
Putu Wiramaswara Widya
 
Default virtualising vbox

2009/10/31 Karl Auer <kauer@biplane.com.au>:
> 3.0.10 r54097. This appears to be the latest version.

Oh yes, it like what i still download now :-)

> Do you mean that it works with the latest version?

I don't know. But I think the bug came from the older version of
VirtualBox. I have tried 3.0.6 version, so far so good never make my
notebook hang like 2.x.x version.

I'm sorry if it not helping you.

>> CMIIW
> What does this abbreviation mean?

CMIIW = Corect me if I wrong

--
Putu Wiramaswara Widya
http://wiramaswara.blogspot.com

PL : http://plurk.com/initrunlevel0
FB : http://facebook.com/wiramaswara
TT : http://twitter.com/wiramaswara

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2009, 09:46 AM
Karl Auer
 
Default virtualising vbox

On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 18:29 +0800, Putu Wiramaswara Widya wrote:
> > Do you mean that it works with the latest version?
>
> I don't know. But I think the bug came from the older version of
> VirtualBox. I have tried 3.0.6 version, so far so good never make my
> notebook hang like 2.x.x version.

Just to be clear: You mean that on your notebook you have a VirtualBox
VM running *inside* a VirtualBox VM?

Thanks, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) +61-2-64957160 (h)
http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/ +61-428-957160 (mob)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2009, 09:50 AM
Putu Wiramaswara Widya
 
Default virtualising vbox

2009/10/31 Karl Auer <kauer@biplane.com.au>:
> Just to be clear: You mean that on your notebook you have a VirtualBox
> VM running *inside* a VirtualBox VM?

I don't mean like that. VirtualBox VM is run under Ubuntu.
--
Putu Wiramaswara Widya
http://wiramaswara.blogspot.com

PL : http://plurk.com/initrunlevel0
FB : http://facebook.com/wiramaswara
TT : http://twitter.com/wiramaswara

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2009, 10:13 AM
Karl Auer
 
Default virtualising vbox

On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 18:50 +0800, Putu Wiramaswara Widya wrote:
> 2009/10/31 Karl Auer <kauer@biplane.com.au>:
> > Just to be clear: You mean that on your notebook you have a VirtualBox
> > VM running *inside* a VirtualBox VM?
>
> I don't mean like that. VirtualBox VM is run under Ubuntu.

Ah.

What I am interested in is whether it is possible to run a VirtualBox VM
inside a VirtualBox VM.

Has anyone managed to do this?

Regards, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) +61-2-64957160 (h)
http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/ +61-428-957160 (mob)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2009, 11:34 AM
Chris Jones
 
Default virtualising vbox

> What I am interested in is whether it is possible to run a VirtualBox VM
> inside a VirtualBox VM.
>
> Has anyone managed to do this?

One question - why ?

Chris

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2009, 11:40 AM
Karl Auer
 
Default virtualising vbox

On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 12:34 +0000, Chris Jones wrote:
> > What I am interested in is whether it is possible to run a VirtualBox VM
> > inside a VirtualBox VM.
> > Has anyone managed to do this?
>
> One question - why ?

Why not?

K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) +61-2-64957160 (h)
http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/ +61-428-957160 (mob)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2009, 11:56 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"
 
Default virtualising vbox

Karl Auer wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 18:14 +0800, Putu Wiramaswara Widya wrote:
>>> Before I spend anymore time on it, is it silly to

expect VirtualBox to
>>> run on a VirtualBox VM? Is there a trick?
>> What version is your VirtualBox?
>
> 3.0.10 r54097. This appears to be the latest version.
>
> Do you mean that it works with the latest version?
>
>> CMIIW
>
> What does this abbreviation mean?
>
> Regards, K.
>
>

If I read properly what you want to do is run the Sun
VirtualBox software in the virtual box of another Sun
VirtualBox. They can be the same version.

I have no idea why you want to do this.

73 Karl


--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User
#450462 http://counter.li.org.
Key ID = 3951B48D


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:17 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org