Old 10-30-2009, 11:56 PM
NoOp

Default Proposed Repositories - GPG errors

On 10/30/2009 05:24 PM, Steve wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 23:31:05 -0000, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Anyone else getting failures on the proposed repositories today (Main
>> Server)?
>>
>> W: A error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is
>> not updated and the previous index files will be used.GPG error:
>> http://archive.ubuntu.com jaunty-proposed Release: The following
>> signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5 Ubuntu Archive
>> Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>
>>
>> W: Failed to fetch
>> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-proposed/Release
>>
>> I get the same on karmic.
>>

> No problem here, with karmic and jaunty. Even picked up a couple of
> updates from proposed.

Are you are using "Main Server" or some other server? Now I'm getting
additional errors:
W: Failed to fetch
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-updates/universe/binary-i386/Packages.bz2
Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-updates/main/binary-i386/Packages.bz2
Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-updates/universe/source/Sources.bz2
Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-updates/main/source/Sources.bz2
Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-security/universe/binary-i386/Packages.bz2
Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-security/main/binary-i386/Packages.bz2
Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-security/universe/source/Sources.bz2
Hash Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-security/main/source/Sources.bz2
Hash Sum mismatch

W: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old
ones used instead.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:05 AM
NoOp

On 10/30/2009 05:56 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 10/30/2009 05:24 PM, Steve wrote:
>> No problem here, with karmic and jaunty. Even picked up a couple of
>> updates from proposed.
>>

> Are you are using "Main Server" or some other server? Now I'm getting
> additional errors:
> W: Failed to fetch
> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-updates/universe/binary-i386/Packages.bz2
> Hash Sum mismatch

Just switch to the US server & now karmic is showing 38 updates
(41.2Mb), all from Proposed - I reckon that archive.ubuntu.com is
getting hammered by the karmic downloads (they really need to fix this
issue on release week).

Old 10-31-2009, 12:30 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

> >> Anyone else getting failures on the proposed
> repositories today (Main
> >> Server)?
> >>
> >> W: A error occurred during the signature
> verification. The repository is
> >> not updated and the previous index files will be
> used.GPG error:
> >> http://archive.ubuntu.com jaunty-proposed Release: The
> following
> >> signatures were invalid: BADSIG 40976EAF437D05B5
> Ubuntu Archive
> >> Automatic Signing Key <ftpmaster@ubuntu.com>
> >>
> >> W: Failed to fetch
> >> http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/jaunty-proposed/Release
> >>
> >> I get the same on karmic.
> >>

> > No problem here, with karmic and jaunty.* Even
> picked up a couple of*
> > updates from proposed.
> >

> Are you are using "Main Server" or some other server? Now
> I'm getting
> additional errors:

Let software sources pick the best server for you. Ever since I did that
it downloads fast with no errors. Don't even know where it is as it just has an IP address. Whois says it's FDCservers.net in Chicago.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:00 AM
NoOp

On 10/30/2009 06:30 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> Let software sources pick the best server for you. Ever since I did that
> it downloads fast with no errors. Don't even know where it is as it just has an IP address. Whois says it's FDCservers.net in Chicago.

Right... I've done that in the past & end up with a server in the
Ukraine or some other place half way around the world from my location
in California. Decided to test again & just now it selected
mirrors.us.kernel.org so that's not so bad. :-)

Old 10-31-2009, 01:28 PM
sktsee

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 19:00 -0700, NoOp wrote:
> On 10/30/2009 06:30 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> >
> > Let software sources pick the best server for you. Ever since I did that
> > it downloads fast with no errors. Don't even know where it is as it just has an IP address. Whois says it's FDCservers.net in Chicago.
>
> Right... I've done that in the past & end up with a server in the
> Ukraine or some other place half way around the world from my location
> in California. Decided to test again & just now it selected
> mirrors.us.kernel.org so that's not so bad. :-)

Heh.

host se.archive.ubuntu.com
se.archive.ubuntu.com is an alias for ftp.acc.umu.se.
ftp.acc.umu.se has address 130.239.18.163
ftp.acc.umu.se has address 130.239.18.137
ftp.acc.umu.se has IPv6 address 2001:6b0:e:2018::163
ftp.acc.umu.se has IPv6 address 2001:6b0:e:2018::137
ftp.acc.umu.se mail is handled by 0 mail.acc.umu.se.

$ host us.archive.ubuntu.com
us.archive.ubuntu.com is an alias for ubuntu-archive.acc.umu.se.
ubuntu-archive.acc.umu.se has address 130.239.18.165
ubuntu-archive.acc.umu.se has address 130.239.18.173
ubuntu-archive.acc.umu.se has IPv6 address 2001:6b0:e:2018::165
ubuntu-archive.acc.umu.se has IPv6 address 2001:6b0:e:2018::173
ubuntu-archive.acc.umu.se mail is handled by 0 mail.acc.umu.se.

So all US ubuntu users that have deb repository entries pointing to
us.archive.ubuntu.com in their /etc/apt/sources.list are getting their
updates and upgrades from servers located on a Swedish university
campus. Was there no US mirror willing to shoulder the load of becoming
us.archive.ubuntu.com for Canonical? For shame!

--
sktsee

Old 10-31-2009, 01:33 PM
David Curtis

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 19:00:20 -0700
NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> On 10/30/2009 06:30 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> >
> > Let software sources pick the best server for you. Ever since I
> > did that it downloads fast with no errors. Don't even know where
> > it is as it just has an IP address. Whois says it's FDCservers.net
> > in Chicago.
>
> Right... I've done that in the past & end up with a server in the
> Ukraine or some other place half way around the world from my location
> in California. Decided to test again & just now it selected
> mirrors.us.kernel.org so that's not so bad. :-)

Meh, It's just a latency and/or short-time-frame bandwidth test. Not
going to tell you about the load capabilities of the site. Take a look
at the mirror list...

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors

Dave

Old 10-31-2009, 04:33 PM
NoOp

On 10/31/2009 07:28 AM, sktsee wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 19:00 -0700, NoOp wrote:
>> On 10/30/2009 06:30 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>> >
>> > Let software sources pick the best server for you. Ever since I did that
>> > it downloads fast with no errors. Don't even know where it is as it just has an IP address. Whois says it's FDCservers.net in Chicago.
>>
>> Right... I've done that in the past & end up with a server in the
>> Ukraine or some other place half way around the world from my location
>> in California. Decided to test again & just now it selected
>> mirrors.us.kernel.org so that's not so bad. :-)
>>

> Heh.
>
> host se.archive.ubuntu.com
> se.archive.ubuntu.com is an alias for ftp.acc.umu.se.
> ftp.acc.umu.se has address 130.239.18.163
> ftp.acc.umu.se has address 130.239.18.137
> ftp.acc.umu.se has IPv6 address 2001:6b0:e:2018::163
> ftp.acc.umu.se has IPv6 address 2001:6b0:e:2018::137
> ftp.acc.umu.se mail is handled by 0 mail.acc.umu.se.
>

> $ host us.archive.ubuntu.com
> us.archive.ubuntu.com is an alias for ubuntu-archive.acc.umu.se.
> ubuntu-archive.acc.umu.se has address 130.239.18.165
> ubuntu-archive.acc.umu.se has address 130.239.18.173
> ubuntu-archive.acc.umu.se has IPv6 address 2001:6b0:e:2018::165
> ubuntu-archive.acc.umu.se has IPv6 address 2001:6b0:e:2018::173
> ubuntu-archive.acc.umu.se mail is handled by 0 mail.acc.umu.se.
>
> So all US ubuntu users that have deb repository entries pointing to
> us.archive.ubuntu.com in their /etc/apt/sources.list are getting their
> updates and upgrades from servers located on a Swedish university
> campus. Was there no US mirror willing to shoulder the load of becoming
> us.archive.ubuntu.com for Canonical? For shame!

Very interesting... and surprising.
Maybe us stands for University in Sweden :-)
http://www.umu.se/

Old 10-31-2009, 04:53 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> > On 10/30/2009 06:30 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > >
> > > Let software sources pick the best server for
> you.* Ever since I
> > > did that it downloads fast with no errors.*
> Don't even know where
> > > it is as it just has an IP address.* Whois
> says it's FDCservers.net
> > > in Chicago.
> >
> > Right... I've done that in the past & end up with
> a server in the
> > Ukraine or some other place half way around the world
> from my location
> > in California. Decided to test again & just now it
> selected
> > mirrors.us.kernel.org so that's not so bad. :-)
>
> Meh, It's just a latency and/or short-time-frame bandwidth
> test. Not
> going to tell you about the load capabilities of the site.
> Take a look
> at the mirror list...
>

> Dave

NoOp and I are both aware of what you say. But I can only tell you that
after some days of use I'm still getting the fastest download rates from a
mirror than I ever had. It may not be the most up to date site but I'm getting Karmic updates almost every day. You may want to check out:
http://76.73.4.58/ubuntu/
It may be some fluke but until it slows down significantly I'll continue to use it. Now that I've posted the mirror site, it probably will-)
BTW, the site is in Chicago and I live in southeast Texas and the site at Uinv. of Texas is not near as fast and is many times not up-to-date. FWIW.
I get 300+ kB/sec download rates, as exactly shown on konsole, consistently and before my best rate was only 200 or so kB/sec.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 10-31-2009, 06:34 PM
NoOp

On 10/31/2009 10:53 AM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:

> --- On Sat, 10/31/09, David Curtis <dcurtis@uniserve.com> wrote:
>> Meh, It's just a latency and/or short-time-frame bandwidth
>> test. Not
>> going to tell you about the load capabilities of the site.
>> Take a look
>> at the mirror list...
..
> NoOp and I are both aware of what you say.

Yep :-)

> But I can only tell you that
> after some days of use I'm still getting the fastest download rates from a
> mirror than I ever had. It may not be the most up to date site but I'm getting Karmic updates almost every day. You may want to check out:
> http://76.73.4.58/ubuntu/
> It may be some fluke but until it slows down significantly I'll continue to use it. Now that I've posted the mirror site, it probably will-)
> BTW, the site is in Chicago and I live in southeast Texas and the site at Uinv. of Texas is not near as fast and is many times not up-to-date. FWIW.
> I get 300+ kB/sec download rates, as exactly shown on konsole, consistently and before my best rate was only 200 or so kB/sec.

This might be worth bookmarking:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors
Note: 76.73.4.58 is FDCServers.net LLC (see
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+mirror/76.73.4.58-archive)
It shows the speed and if the mirror is up-to-date.

Argonne National Lab is what I normally use (10Ggbps - mirror.anl.gov)
but I'd switched to "Main Server" when I was installing karmic on the
test machine last week.

I see that the us.archive.ubuntu.com (basically the Academic Computer
Club, UmeŚ University only has 2Gbps...

Old 10-31-2009, 07:12 PM
NoOp

On 10/31/2009 07:33 AM, David Curtis wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 19:00:20 -0700
> NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 10/30/2009 06:30 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>> >
>> > Let software sources pick the best server for you. Ever since I
>> > did that it downloads fast with no errors. Don't even know where
>> > it is as it just has an IP address. Whois says it's FDCservers.net
>> > in Chicago.
>>
>> Right... I've done that in the past & end up with a server in the
>> Ukraine or some other place half way around the world from my location
>> in California. Decided to test again & just now it selected
>> mirrors.us.kernel.org so that's not so bad. :-)
>
> Meh, It's just a latency and/or short-time-frame bandwidth test. Not
> going to tell you about the load capabilities of the site.

Yeah, I know :-) Actually I think it just does a ping test, which is
pretty unreliable for latency.

> Take a look
> at the mirror list...
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+archivemirrors