Old 10-30-2009, 10:50 PM
David McNally

Default Upgradephobia!

Hi everyone.

It's the first time that I'm upgrading on this computer, and I'm now a bit hesitant about upgrading.

On the computer I had before this (which wasn't a very good machine), I upgraded once, and lost all of the graphics effects because the graphics driver was lost. The next time, I lost several programs, and could not figure out why. However, at that time, I was still using windows a lot, so it wasn't that important that Ubuntu was having problems.

My Ubuntu computer now is currently the only computer that I have (at least I'm not using windows anymore!), so I'm a bit more nervous, considering I've never had a successful upgrade.

Also, when I was reading the release notes for 9.10, I noticed that ext4 and GRUB 2 won't be installed on an upgraded computer - only a fresh install. Would there be any way of creating a fresh install, but with all of my programs and files (and I do mean EVERYTHING: Virtualbox VMs, Wine programs, game saves, Compiz settings, etc), while still having ext4 and GRUB 2?

Thanks in advance.
--
David McNally
david3333333@gmail.com