Old 10-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Derek Broughton

Default XFIX-What Happened To It In Karmic?

NoOp wrote:

> On 10/30/2009 02:38 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>> The subject say it all. After the last 3-4 updates, I can now scrool
>> through the recovery menu and find that xfix is not listed. Is there a
>> way run the program without it being on the recovery mode kernel? I
>> sure miss having the capability to run it if needed.
>> Leonard Chatagnier
>>

> Nothing in the change log:
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/friendly-recovery/+changelog
> They dropped fsck, but no mention of xfix. File a bug?

"dropped" fsck? How could that happen. It's pretty vital. [I know for a
fact that it hasn't been dropped, anyway, as I had to use it just last week
- on a karmic system - and it's part of util-linux which is still showing as
--
derek

Old 10-30-2009, 10:20 PM
NoOp

On 10/30/2009 04:06 PM, Derek Broughton wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
>
>> On 10/30/2009 02:38 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
>>> The subject say it all. After the last 3-4 updates, I can now scrool
>>> through the recovery menu and find that xfix is not listed. Is there a
>>> way run the program without it being on the recovery mode kernel? I
>>> sure miss having the capability to run it if needed.
>>> Leonard Chatagnier
>>>

>> Nothing in the change log:
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/friendly-recovery/+changelog
>> They dropped fsck, but no mention of xfix. File a bug?
>
> "dropped" fsck? How could that happen. It's pretty vital.

filesystem readonly for a fsck (LP: #363271). In karmic

click the 363271 & it will take you to the bug report.

[I know for a
> fact that it hasn't been dropped,

Really? Have you booted to "friendly-recovery" today?

anyway, as I had to use it just last week
> - on a karmic system - and it's part of util-linux which is still showing as

Sigh :-) we are talking about the Recovery Menu (friendly-recovery). :-)

Old 10-30-2009, 10:46 PM
NoOp

On 10/30/2009 02:38 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> The subject say it all. After the last 3-4 updates, I can now scrool
> through the recovery menu and find that xfix is not listed. Is there a
> way run the program without it being on the recovery mode kernel? I
> sure miss having the capability to run it if needed.

I filed a bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/friendly-recovery/+bug/465809
[xfix missing from Recovery Menu]
You can follow along to see if it gets added back in, or if they've
determined that it doesn't really do anything anyway with the new xorg
system. My guess is the latter.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> > The subject say it all.* After the last 3-4
> updates, I can now scrool
> > through the recovery menu and find that xfix is not
> listed. Is there a
> > way run the program without it being on the recovery
> mode kernel?* I
> > sure miss having the capability to run it if needed.
> > Leonard Chatagnier
> >

> Nothing in the change log:
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/+source/friendly-recovery/+changelog
> They dropped fsck, but no mention of xfix. File a bug?

Thanks for the info. Wonder what we do if an fsch needs to be done on bootup. I still see that done on a scheduled basis during boot.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 10-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

> > The subject say it all.* After the last 3-4
> updates, I can now scrool
> > through the recovery menu and find that xfix is not
> listed. Is there a
> > way run the program without it being on the recovery
> mode kernel?* I
> > sure miss having the capability to run it if needed.
> >

> I filed a bug:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/friendly-recovery/+bug/465809
> [xfix missing from Recovery Menu]
> You can follow along to see if it gets added back in, or if
> they've
> determined that it doesn't really do anything anyway with
> the new xorg
> system. My guess is the latter.

Glad you filed the bug. I'll follow along.
Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net