Old 10-30-2009, 08:21 PM
a dehqan

Default Fwd: question about mailing lists license ,

In The Name Of God The compassionate merciful

Good day everyone ;
Thanks for your attentions ;
But question still remains ...

*See this is question please answer only :
Do mailing list
own person answers copy rights ? While persons answer questions in mailing list , will those persons remain legal owner of answers (rights) OR mailing list will own them (answer rights) ?
please give a voucher for your claim* .

Old 10-30-2009, 09:49 PM
Douglas Pollard

a dehqan wrote:
> In The Name Of God The compassionate merciful
>
> Good day everyone ;
> Thanks for your attentions ;
> But question still remains ...
>
> *
> See this is question please answer only :*
> Do mailing list own person answers copy rights ? While persons answer
> questions in mailing list , will those persons remain legal owner of
> answers (rights) OR mailing list will own them (answer rights) ?
> please give a voucher for your claim .

The writer of the post owns the copyright, he does not give that away
unless it is a registered copyright then he can sell it or give it away.
He may be giving a license to the list owner to use it, copy it, or
allow someone else to use it when he posts to the list. If that were
not the case you would be violating the Copyright by copying it to your
computer as you are a third party. I personally would get the writer of
the post to send me a copy with permission to use it. No one can argue
with that. This way the list has nothing to say about it one way or
the other. You will have a license from the writer that owns the
copyright. He will always own the copyright for his lifetime plus 100
years. You will hold a license to use it or anything else he grants on
the license. The list does not get an exclusive license . Whether or
not you make money off of his post does not matter as long as he does
not say specifically, you can't in the license.

Doug

Old 10-30-2009, 09:53 PM
Michael Haney

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 6:49 PM, Douglas Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net> wrote:
> The writer of the post owns the copyright, he does not give that away
> unless it is a registered copyright then he can sell it or give it away.

That kind is called a Common Law Copyright. Anyone can put a
copyright notice on anything they write and it'll be a legal
copyright. Its not registered but its still enforceable. As far as I
know no court has ever dismissed a common law copyright, but I could
be wrong.

--
Michael "TheZorch" Haney
thezorch@gmail.com

Old 10-30-2009, 10:11 PM
Karl Auer

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 18:49 -0400, Douglas Pollard wrote:
> The writer of the post owns the copyright, he does not give that away
> unless it is a registered copyright then he can sell it or give it away.

Copyright varies from country to country - while the US does have a
copyright registry, your work is still copyrighted even if not
registered. You can sell, buy or license works regardless of whether
your work is registered. There may be some advantages to registering you
work, but you don't have to.

> I personally would get the writer of
> the post to send me a copy with permission to use it.

It depends on what "use" means, but in general - good advice.

> He will always own the copyright for his lifetime plus 100
> years.

Not always, no. This differs from country to country. The US has
ridiculously long copyright periods; other countries have saner limits,
though the power of major copyright holders (and US blackmail, er,
sorry, "trade agreements") has been pushing those limits further and
further out for decades.

Remember too that copyright does not protect an idea - only the
expression of an idea. If someone describes how to do something, for
example, you can go and use those instructions freely.

Regards, K.

PS: I am not a lawyer.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:14 PM
Karl Auer

On Fri, 2009-10-30 at 18:53 -0400, Michael Haney wrote:
> Anyone can put a
> copyright notice on anything they write and it'll be a legal
> copyright.

There is no need to put a copyright notice on something either. If you
created it - it's yours.

Things like registries and copyright marks help inform others about the
status of the work, but (at least in most countries) they do not change
its legal status.

Regards, K.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:46 AM
Nils Kassube

Douglas Pollard wrote:
> The writer of the post owns the copyright, he does not give that away
> unless it is a registered copyright then he can sell it or give it
> away.

That may be true in your jurisdiction but it I think it isn't true over
here (at least as far as I understand our copyright laws). Here you
automatically own the copyright and you can't sell it. You can only give
a licence to others. Even an exclusive licence is possible but you still
own the copyright.

These minor differences in the copyright laws make it impossible to give
any useful advice what is allowed and what not. Only your lawyer can
tell you what you are allowed to copy in your jurisdiction. And only a
lawyer can tell you what you are allowed to copy to a book which is
supposed to be sold globally.

BTW: At least over here only lawyers have a monopoly for giving legal
advice. And probably they won't give any legal advice on a mailing list
but only if you pay them.

> You will have a
> license from the writer that owns the copyright. He will always own
> the copyright for his lifetime plus 100 years.

Again a minor difference: Those 100 years may be true in your
jurisdiction but over here it is 70 years.

Nils

Old 10-31-2009, 07:12 AM
a dehqan

In The Name Of God The compassionate merciful

Good day everyone ;
Thanks a lot for your attentions ;

See our lawyer say that owner of Book should give permission .
But Here in Iran some writers Give their book copyrights to a publisher .

Now this question , Does this mailing list get mails copyrights or not ? in other word , Do person give their mails copyrights to mailing list by registering in mailing list and using it ?

Regards dehqan

Old 10-31-2009, 07:24 AM
Karl Auer

On Sat, 2009-10-31 at 11:42 +0330, a dehqan wrote:
> See our lawyer say that owner of Book should give permission .
> But Here in Iran some writers Give their book copyrights to a
> publisher .
> Now this question , Does this mailing list get mails copyrights or
> not ? in other word , Do person give their mails copyrights to mailing
> list by registering in mailing list and using it ?

No. Your messages remain yours. You have given implicit permission to
mailing list users, corporate and private, to use the information in
your messages, and to copy them for the purposes of the mailing list
itself, but no more.

But: You will find it nearly impossible to either detect or enforce a
copyright violation of material published in a mailing list. Especially
a global mailing list, where copies of your words appear in dozens of
different jurisdictions.

I would strongly suggest that if you have material that you do not want
used, don't put it in a mailing list.

Regards, K.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:18 PM
a dehqan

In The Name Of God The compassionate merciful

Good day everyone ;
Thanks a lot for your attentions ;

Please give a voucher for your opinions , then we can refer to it if it was necessary .

In answering this question ,