Old 10-30-2009, 05:17 PM
stan

Default synching files

I find myself moving certain files around a lot lately between a machine at
work, and a laptop, and a machine at home. I want to automate this a bit.
Now I could probably script this fairly easily, but I was wondering if
someone had written a tool for this.

here is what I have in mind. When a USB stick is plugged in find it's unique
ID, if this ID matches a list, then check the files in a certain directory
on it versus the files in a directory on the machine. Make the files in
both be whichever has the latest timestamp.

Any suggestions as to useful packages for this?

programs.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Tony Arnold

Stan,

stan wrote:
> I find myself moving certain files around a lot lately between a machine at
> work, and a laptop, and a machine at home. I want to automate this a bit.
> Now I could probably script this fairly easily, but I was wondering if
> someone had written a tool for this.
>
> here is what I have in mind. When a USB stick is plugged in find it's unique
> ID, if this ID matches a list, then check the files in a certain directory
> on it versus the files in a directory on the machine. Make the files in
> both be whichever has the latest timestamp.
>
> Any suggestions as to useful packages for this?

I'd look at Unison. It does bi-directional sync'ing of directories on
same machine or on separate machines using ssh. Needs Unison installing
at both ends and needs ssh server as well.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold@manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold