FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Chris G
 
Default Load balancing two ADSL routers - any recommendations?

I have two phone lines and two ADSL routers running with different
ISPs. These provide internet access for a small network of (mostly)
Ubuntu linux machines.

I am setting up a small 'server' machine which, among other things, I
would like to handle the internet access by providing load sharing
and failover. I've found various bits and pieces of information about
doing it myself (scripts using 'nexthop' and 'weight' in ip commands,
etc.) but I was wondering if there are any ready made applications
which would make things easier for me.

I have found 'balance' but it seems more oriented towards balancing
load on multiple servers in my LAN rather than balancing load between
two routers linking to the internet.

Does anyone have any suggestions for ready made load balancing
software for Ubuntu?

--
Chris Green


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-30-2009, 08:26 PM
Waleed Harbi
 
Default Load balancing two ADSL routers - any recommendations?

ebox I think the good choice for you, you can install it via APT or download ISO image EBox based on Ubuntu.

---
Best Regards,
Waleed Harbi
------------------------------------------------


Try not to become a man of success
but rather try to become a man of value.




On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:


I have two phone lines and two ADSL routers running with different

ISPs. These provide internet access for a small network of (mostly)

Ubuntu linux machines.



I am setting up a small 'server' machine which, among other things, I

would like to handle the internet access by providing load sharing

and failover. *I've found various bits and pieces of information about

doing it myself (scripts using 'nexthop' and 'weight' in ip commands,

etc.) but I was wondering if there are any ready made applications

which would make things easier for me.



I have found 'balance' but it seems more oriented towards balancing

load on multiple servers in my LAN rather than balancing load between

two routers linking to the internet.



Does anyone have any suggestions for ready made load balancing

software for Ubuntu?



--

Chris Green





--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Victor Padro
 
Default Load balancing two ADSL routers - any recommendations?

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> I have two phone lines and two ADSL routers running with different
> ISPs. These provide internet access for a small network of (mostly)
> Ubuntu linux machines.
>
> I am setting up a small 'server' machine which, among other things, I
> would like to handle the internet access by providing load sharing
> and failover. *I've found various bits and pieces of information about
> doing it myself (scripts using 'nexthop' and 'weight' in ip commands,
> etc.) but I was wondering if there are any ready made applications
> which would make things easier for me.
>
> I have found 'balance' but it seems more oriented towards balancing
> load on multiple servers in my LAN rather than balancing load between
> two routers linking to the internet.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for ready made load balancing
> software for Ubuntu?
>
> --
> Chris Green
>
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>

Pfsense is the best option.

--
Linux User #452368
http://twitter.com/vpadro

"Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an
understanding of ourselves"

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2009, 04:21 AM
David Curtis
 
Default Load balancing two ADSL routers - any recommendations?

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 14:00:03 +0000
Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

> I have two phone lines and two ADSL routers running with different
> ISPs. These provide internet access for a small network of (mostly)
> Ubuntu linux machines.
>
> I am setting up a small 'server' machine which, among other things, I
> would like to handle the internet access by providing load sharing
> and failover. I've found various bits and pieces of information about
> doing it myself (scripts using 'nexthop' and 'weight' in ip commands,
> etc.) but I was wondering if there are any ready made applications
> which would make things easier for me.
>
> I have found 'balance' but it seems more oriented towards balancing
> load on multiple servers in my LAN rather than balancing load between
> two routers linking to the internet.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for ready made load balancing
> software for Ubuntu?

I'm not sure if there are any front ends and/or routing packages that
make this easy, but here is the pertinent section of the Linux Advanced
Routing & Traffic Control Howto:

http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html

HTH

Dave


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2009, 10:10 AM
Chris G
 
Default Load balancing two ADSL routers - any recommendations?

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 12:26:22AM +0300, Waleed Harbi wrote:
> ebox I think the good choice for you, you can install it via APT or
> download ISO image EBox based on Ubuntu.
>
I did come across EBox while searching and I've looked at it harder now.
It actually uses Quagga for its routing set-up which I have also found
and considered. Maybe I'll take a harder look at Quagga, I don't
really need the wholesale integration that EBox provides.

Thanks for the pointer though as it may well help me on my way.

> ---
> Best Regards,
> Waleed Harbi
> ------------------------------------------------
> Try not to become a man of success
> but rather try to become a man of value.
>
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Chris G <[1]cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> I have two phone lines and two ADSL routers running with different
> ISPs. These provide internet access for a small network of (mostly)
> Ubuntu linux machines.
>
> I am setting up a small 'server' machine which, among other things, I
> would like to handle the internet access by providing load sharing
> and failover. A I've found various bits and pieces of information about
> doing it myself (scripts using 'nexthop' and 'weight' in ip commands,
> etc.) but I was wondering if there are any ready made applications
> which would make things easier for me.
>
> I have found 'balance' but it seems more oriented towards balancing
> load on multiple servers in my LAN rather than balancing load between
> two routers linking to the internet.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for ready made load balancing
> software for Ubuntu?
>
> --
> Chris Green
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> [2]ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> [3]https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
>
> Links:
> 1. mailto:cl@isbd.net/
> 2. mailto:ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com/
> 3. https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


--
Chris Green


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2009, 10:12 AM
Chris G
 
Default Load balancing two ADSL routers - any recommendations?

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 03:28:28PM -0600, Victor Padro wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> > I have two phone lines and two ADSL routers running with different
> > ISPs. These provide internet access for a small network of (mostly)
> > Ubuntu linux machines.
> >
> > I am setting up a small 'server' machine which, among other things, I
> > would like to handle the internet access by providing load sharing
> > and failover. *I've found various bits and pieces of information about
> > doing it myself (scripts using 'nexthop' and 'weight' in ip commands,
> > etc.) but I was wondering if there are any ready made applications
> > which would make things easier for me.
> >
> > I have found 'balance' but it seems more oriented towards balancing
> > load on multiple servers in my LAN rather than balancing load between
> > two routers linking to the internet.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions for ready made load balancing
> > software for Ubuntu?
> >
>
> Pfsense is the best option.
>
... but Pfsense is a complete distribution, you can't install it on an
existing server. I want to use my server for other things as well,
not just for routing.

--
Chris Green


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Chris G
 
Default Load balancing two ADSL routers - any recommendations?

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 01:21:46AM -0400, David Curtis wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 14:00:03 +0000
> Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
>
> > I have two phone lines and two ADSL routers running with different
> > ISPs. These provide internet access for a small network of (mostly)
> > Ubuntu linux machines.
> >
> > I am setting up a small 'server' machine which, among other things, I
> > would like to handle the internet access by providing load sharing
> > and failover. I've found various bits and pieces of information about
> > doing it myself (scripts using 'nexthop' and 'weight' in ip commands,
> > etc.) but I was wondering if there are any ready made applications
> > which would make things easier for me.
> >
> > I have found 'balance' but it seems more oriented towards balancing
> > load on multiple servers in my LAN rather than balancing load between
> > two routers linking to the internet.
> >
> > Does anyone have any suggestions for ready made load balancing
> > software for Ubuntu?
>
> I'm not sure if there are any front ends and/or routing packages that
> make this easy, but here is the pertinent section of the Linux Advanced
> Routing & Traffic Control Howto:
>
> http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html
>
Yes, I'd found that, it's among the "bits and pieces of information
about doing it myself", I may end up doing it that way as there seems
very little available in this area.

--
Chris Green


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2009, 12:01 PM
Waleed Harbi
 
Default Load balancing two ADSL routers - any recommendations?

Try these steps:
http://minez-inspirate.blogspot.com/2009/07/create-load-balancing-router-using.html


---
Best Regards,
Waleed Harbi
------------------------------------------------
Try not to become a man of success
but rather try to become a man of value.




On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 5:00 PM, Chris G <cl@isbd.net> wrote:


I have two phone lines and two ADSL routers running with different

ISPs. These provide internet access for a small network of (mostly)

Ubuntu linux machines.



I am setting up a small 'server' machine which, among other things, I

would like to handle the internet access by providing load sharing

and failover. *I've found various bits and pieces of information about

doing it myself (scripts using 'nexthop' and 'weight' in ip commands,

etc.) but I was wondering if there are any ready made applications

which would make things easier for me.



I have found 'balance' but it seems more oriented towards balancing

load on multiple servers in my LAN rather than balancing load between

two routers linking to the internet.



Does anyone have any suggestions for ready made load balancing

software for Ubuntu?



--

Chris Green





--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2009, 03:59 PM
NoOp
 
Default Load balancing two ADSL routers - any recommendations?

On 10/30/2009 07:00 AM, Chris G wrote:
> I have two phone lines and two ADSL routers running with different
> ISPs. These provide internet access for a small network of (mostly)
> Ubuntu linux machines.
>
> I am setting up a small 'server' machine which, among other things, I
> would like to handle the internet access by providing load sharing
> and failover. I've found various bits and pieces of information about
> doing it myself (scripts using 'nexthop' and 'weight' in ip commands,
> etc.) but I was wondering if there are any ready made applications
> which would make things easier for me.
>
> I have found 'balance' but it seems more oriented towards balancing
> load on multiple servers in my LAN rather than balancing load between
> two routers linking to the internet.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for ready made load balancing
> software for Ubuntu?
>

Perhaps searching help.ubuntu.com for 'load balancing' or 'bonding' can
help? I found these:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/Trunking
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBonding
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HighlyAvailableNFS
etc. Also:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LinkAggregation
<http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2009/02/howto-setup-dual-dual-nic-bonding-on.html>

<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&source=hp&q=ubuntu+%2Bload +balancing+bonding>
<http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1381888&seqNum=3&rll=1>





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 10-31-2009, 06:34 PM
CLIFFORD ILKAY
 
Default Load balancing two ADSL routers - any recommendations?

Chris G wrote:
> I have two phone lines and two ADSL routers running with different
> ISPs. These provide internet access for a small network of (mostly)
> Ubuntu linux machines.
>
> I am setting up a small 'server' machine which, among other things, I
> would like to handle the internet access by providing load sharing
> and failover.

Hello Chris,

Others have suggested various options like pfsense and ebox and you've
rejected them because they would more or less take over your machine.
Based on my experience, I'd recommend that you separate the
routing/firewalling from the server not because the server can't handle
it but because quite often, you have different upgrade cycles on those
things. If you don't want two physical machines, run the server in a
virtual machine and let the physical machine, or another virtual
machine, act as the router/firewall. Complex networking like you have in
mind in a virtual machine is probably more challenging but it's not
impossible, depending on the virtualization technology you employ.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis
1419-3266 Yonge St.
Toronto, ON
Canada M4N 3P6

<http://dinamis.com>
+1 416-410-3326

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:53 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org