Old 10-30-2009, 10:48 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

Default Network-manager problems

I'm in a catch-22 situation!
I have installed -on a laptop - Karmic and it runs OK, except..
network-manager(as usual??) doesn't like wireless. After installing -
from a USB-stick - the Broadcom drivers and some changes in
/etc/network/interfaces NM sees my wireless even connects and get an
IP-address from the DHCP server. Sο far so good! and when I don't
connect or do anything the connection stays on.
However, when I make a connection and e.g. try to lookup a page, then
after <1 minute the connection is broken and NM says I'm off-line.
Looking in the syslog I see every 2nd minute the following message:
Oct 30 12:13:35 laptop wpa_supplicant [1100]: CTRL_EVENT_SCAN_RESULTS
Oct 30 12:15:35 laptop wpa_supplicant [1100]: CTRL_EVENT_SCAN_RESULTS
and suddenly:
Oct 30 12:28:43 laptop wpa_supplicant [1100]: CTRL_EVENT_DISCONNECTED -
Disconnect event - remove keys
followed by:
Oct 30 12:28:43 laptop NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0) supplicant
connection state: completed -> disconnected
Then a lot of messages as wlan0 is trying to come up again and suddenly
kernel messages tell the device is up again but it is apparently looking
for IPv6 routers - which of course aren't available - and NM says that
wlan0 is disconnected.
I hope somebody has an explanation and if anybody knows a solution.
(install wicd is not an option as I cannot connect to the Internet!!)
Hope somebody can shed some light in this problem.
Joep

Old 10-30-2009, 11:32 AM
"Karl F. Larsen"

Joep L. Blom wrote:
> I'm in a catch-22 situation!
> I have installed -on a laptop - Karmic and it runs OK, except..
> network-manager(as usual??) doesn't like wireless. After installing -
> from a USB-stick - the Broadcom drivers and some changes in
> /etc/network/interfaces NM sees my wireless even connects and get an
> IP-address from the DHCP server. Sο far so good! and when I don't
> connect or do anything the connection stays on.
> However, when I make a connection and e.g. try to lookup a page, then
> after <1 minute the connection is broken and NM says I'm off-line.
> Looking in the syslog I see every 2nd minute the following message:
> Oct 30 12:13:35 laptop wpa_supplicant [1100]: CTRL_EVENT_SCAN_RESULTS
> Oct 30 12:15:35 laptop wpa_supplicant [1100]: CTRL_EVENT_SCAN_RESULTS
> and suddenly:
> Oct 30 12:28:43 laptop wpa_supplicant [1100]: CTRL_EVENT_DISCONNECTED -
> Disconnect event - remove keys
> followed by:
> Oct 30 12:28:43 laptop NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0) supplicant
> connection state: completed -> disconnected
> Then a lot of messages as wlan0 is trying to come up again and suddenly
> kernel messages tell the device is up again but it is apparently looking
> for IPv6 routers - which of course aren't available - and NM says that
> wlan0 is disconnected.
> I hope somebody has an explanation and if anybody knows a solution.
> (install wicd is not an option as I cannot connect to the Internet!!)
> Hope somebody can shed some light in this problem.
> Joep

No light but I too have huge problems with Network Manager
when using WiFi. It works fine on wired Internet. So I suggest
you find a place to hook into wired internet long enough to
load wicd. Then your laptop will work with WiFi...

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 10-30-2009, 02:35 PM
Fred Roller

Joep L. Blom wrote:
> I'm in a catch-22 situation!
> I have installed -on a laptop - Karmic and it runs OK, except..
> network-manager(as usual??) doesn't like wireless. After installing -
> from a USB-stick - the Broadcom drivers and some changes in
> /etc/network/interfaces NM sees my wireless even connects and get an
> IP-address from the DHCP server. Sο far so good! and when I don't
> connect or do anything the connection stays on.
> However, when I make a connection and e.g. try to lookup a page, then
> after <1 minute the connection is broken and NM says I'm off-line.
> Looking in the syslog I see every 2nd minute the following message:
> Oct 30 12:13:35 laptop wpa_supplicant [1100]: CTRL_EVENT_SCAN_RESULTS
> Oct 30 12:15:35 laptop wpa_supplicant [1100]: CTRL_EVENT_SCAN_RESULTS
> and suddenly:
> Oct 30 12:28:43 laptop wpa_supplicant [1100]: CTRL_EVENT_DISCONNECTED -
> Disconnect event - remove keys
> followed by:
> Oct 30 12:28:43 laptop NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0) supplicant
> connection state: completed -> disconnected
> Then a lot of messages as wlan0 is trying to come up again and suddenly
> kernel messages tell the device is up again but it is apparently looking
> for IPv6 routers - which of course aren't available - and NM says that
> wlan0 is disconnected.
> I hope somebody has an explanation and if anybody knows a solution.
> (install wicd is not an option as I cannot connect to the Internet!!)
> Hope somebody can shed some light in this problem.
> Joep

I use a broadcom as well. When doing a fresh install I connect via
wired connection until after I can get the restricted drivers installed
(Broadcom B43 wireless) then Network Manager works as necessary. You
may not have to reinstall but try going wired and checking for
restricted drivers (System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers) to see
what you have active. Disable and Re-inable your driver. I know that
the STA in my list caused issues so I went back to the B43.

--
Fred
www.fwrgallery.com

"Life is like linux, simple. If you are fighting it you are doing something wrong."

Old 10-30-2009, 03:20 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Fred Roller wrote:
> Joep L. Blom wrote:
>> I'm in a catch-22 situation!
>> I have installed -on a laptop - Karmic and it runs OK, except..
>> network-manager(as usual??) doesn't like wireless. After installing -
>> from a USB-stick - the Broadcom drivers and some changes in
>> /etc/network/interfaces NM sees my wireless even connects and get an
>> IP-address from the DHCP server. Sο far so good! and when I don't
>> connect or do anything the connection stays on.
>> However, when I make a connection and e.g. try to lookup a page, then
>> after <1 minute the connection is broken and NM says I'm off-line.
>> Looking in the syslog I see every 2nd minute the following message:
>> Oct 30 12:13:35 laptop wpa_supplicant [1100]: CTRL_EVENT_SCAN_RESULTS
>> Oct 30 12:15:35 laptop wpa_supplicant [1100]: CTRL_EVENT_SCAN_RESULTS
>> and suddenly:
>> Oct 30 12:28:43 laptop wpa_supplicant [1100]: CTRL_EVENT_DISCONNECTED -
>> Disconnect event - remove keys
>> followed by:
>> Oct 30 12:28:43 laptop NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0) supplicant
>> connection state: completed -> disconnected
>> Then a lot of messages as wlan0 is trying to come up again and suddenly
>> kernel messages tell the device is up again but it is apparently looking
>> for IPv6 routers - which of course aren't available - and NM says that
>> wlan0 is disconnected.
>> I hope somebody has an explanation and if anybody knows a solution.
>> (install wicd is not an option as I cannot connect to the Internet!!)
>> Hope somebody can shed some light in this problem.
>> Joep
>>

> I use a broadcom as well. When doing a fresh install I connect via
> wired connection until after I can get the restricted drivers installed
> (Broadcom B43 wireless) then Network Manager works as necessary. You
> may not have to reinstall but try going wired and checking for
> restricted drivers (System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers) to see
> what you have active. Disable and Re-inable your driver. I know that
> the STA in my list caused issues so I went back to the B43.

Karl & Fred thanks.
Fred, I installed the necessary drivers using an USB-stck and NM worked.
But, as I said, it only connected. When I tried to do something, e.g.
start upgrading it conked out with the errors described. I have set up a
wired connection and it is currently upgrading. But due to the errors
when NM worked only partial I have a lot of problems I now start solving.
Joep

Old 11-01-2009, 04:47 AM
Edmond Dants

I have can identical problem a Atheros wifi PCI card and the ath5k driver:

02:07.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Atheros AR5001X+
Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

Sample from Syslog:
-----
Nov 1 03:29:00 ggv-desktop wpa_supplicant[3791]: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
Nov 1 03:29:40 ggv-desktop wpa_supplicant[3791]: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
Nov 1 03:30:40 ggv-desktop wpa_supplicant[3791]: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
Nov 1 03:32:01 ggv-desktop wpa_supplicant[3791]: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
Nov 1 03:33:41 ggv-desktop wpa_supplicant[3791]: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
Nov 1 03:35:40 ggv-desktop wpa_supplicant[3791]: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
Nov 1 03:37:40 ggv-desktop wpa_supplicant[3791]: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
Nov 1 03:39:40 ggv-desktop wpa_supplicant[3791]: CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS
-----

I had severe problems with the ath5X driver when running with Ubuntu 9.04,
with constant lockups. Eventually problems went aways when I moved to the
madwifi driver. With 9.10 everything was going well until a single lockup
after 24hour uptime. When I went to look for suspects in the syslog, bumped
into the wpa_supplicant message every 2 minutes.

Madwifi is nolonger supported by Ubuntu, so I didn't try to switch yet.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:36 PM
NoOp

On 10/30/2009 04:48 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> I'm in a catch-22 situation!
> I have installed -on a laptop - Karmic and it runs OK, except..
> network-manager(as usual??) doesn't like wireless. After installing -
> from a USB-stick - the Broadcom drivers and some changes in
> /etc/network/interfaces NM sees my wireless even connects and get an
> IP-address from the DHCP server. Sο far so good! and when I don't
> connect or do anything the connection stays on.
> However, when I make a connection and e.g. try to lookup a page, then
> after <1 minute the connection is broken and NM says I'm off-line.
> Looking in the syslog I see every 2nd minute the following message:
> Oct 30 12:13:35 laptop wpa_supplicant [1100]: CTRL_EVENT_SCAN_RESULTS
> Oct 30 12:15:35 laptop wpa_supplicant [1100]: CTRL_EVENT_SCAN_RESULTS
> and suddenly:
> Oct 30 12:28:43 laptop wpa_supplicant [1100]: CTRL_EVENT_DISCONNECTED -
> Disconnect event - remove keys
> followed by:
> Oct 30 12:28:43 laptop NetworkManager: <info> (wlan0) supplicant
> connection state: completed -> disconnected
> Then a lot of messages as wlan0 is trying to come up again and suddenly
> kernel messages tell the device is up again but it is apparently looking
> for IPv6 routers - which of course aren't available - and NM says that
> wlan0 is disconnected.
> I hope somebody has an explanation and if anybody knows a solution.
> (install wicd is not an option as I cannot connect to the Internet!!)
> Hope somebody can shed some light in this problem.
> Joep

I am getting the 'CTRL_EVENT_SCAN_RESULTS' mgs every two minutes as
well. However, my wireless network connection has been staying up w/o
issue (so far). My card is a Dynex PCMCIA broadcom chipset (BCM4318
[AirForce One 54g) & b43-fwcutter version 1:012-1 & Wpasupplicant ver
0.6.9-3ubuntu1.

<http://www.google.com/search?complete=0&hl=en&q=ubuntu+%2Bkarmic+%2B"CTR L+EVENT+SCAN+RESULTS"&btnG=Search>

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wpasupplicant/+bug/352118
[WPA writes possibly unnecessary messages to the system log]

More:
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text="CTRL-EVENT-SCAN-RESULTS"&field.actions.search=Search>
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/wpasupplicant

Also, may be of interest regarding your disconnects:
<https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/427102>
[Network-manager silently disconnects frequently]