Old 10-30-2009, 10:17 AM
shali Kallumpuram

Default Fwd: IPTABLES Help

Dear all,

anybody please help me to block torrent files downloading through squid or iptables,* or any other 3rd party tool for linux machine.

Shali K R

Message: 3

Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 03:59:53 -0400

From: fyrbrds@netscape.net

Subject: Re: IPTABLES Help

To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

*Most bittorrent clients are no longer using standard ports. Blocking
it without knowing what port it will be on requires some sophisticated
packet inspection. Comcast was using 3rd party software to do this and
injecting session termination packets into the stream to disrupt the
connections. I don't remember the name of this comcastic software but
you can google it. This solution will not be cheap however so you have
to really NEED to block it to be worth the cost. AFAIK, the only way
you can do it is to have a white list of ports and/or client machines
for your proxy to filter. This will have marginal success as I have
busted this blockade myself on many occasions. Also, this approach
won't stop bittorrent through tunneling which can pretty much get
around anything you do as long as you have an open connection. Probably
the best you can do is take the simple route like AT&T and impose
draconian bandwidth limits.