Old 10-30-2009, 07:56 AM
Andreas Schildbach

Default Karmic upgrade failed, possible currupted partition/filesystem

After upgrading of a working Jaunty to Karmic final, it would not boot
into the system and instead hang in the initramdisk. I did NOT yet
upgrade to ext4 or grub2.

Booting with safe mode reveals that it could not find my main partition
(which contains my now Karmic installation).

Booting into a second karmic system on the sda2 reveals that sda1 is
indeed not visible any more:

$ ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 80 Oct 30 09:22 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 120 Oct 30 09:22 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Oct 30 09:22
500a11a1-86bd-4609-96ca-78797dfb772b -> ../../sda5
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Oct 30 09:22
b17e1aff-9f02-4fbd-81e5-9b1e6899baad -> ../../sda2

Nevertheless, I can mount my main partition when I directly
mount /dev/sda1 from the second installation, so the filesystem is
intact.

When I start "Palimpsest", it shows my first partition as "54 GB
unrecognized", which is a bit startling.

(also reported as https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/464411 )

Old 10-31-2009, 08:48 AM
Detlef Lechner

Andreas Schildbach wrote:
> After upgrading of a working Jaunty to Karmic final, it would not boot
> into the system and instead hang in the initramdisk.

What error message do you obtain?

Regards,

Detlef

Old 10-31-2009, 08:54 AM
Prabhat Tyagi

2009/10/31 Detlef Lechner <Detlef.Lechner@gmx.net>

Andreas Schildbach wrote:

> After upgrading of a working Jaunty to Karmic final, it would not boot

> into the system and instead hang in the initramdisk.

What error message do you obtain?

Regards,

Detlef

Welcome
Try to
Run fschk command Hope this work
--

Thanks & Regards *.................. * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Prabhat Tyagi (Software Engineer) * * * * * * * * * * *

Old 10-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Paul Johnson

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 3:56 AM, Andreas Schildbach
<andreas@schildbach.de> wrote:

> After upgrading of a working Jaunty to Karmic final, it would not boot
> into the system and instead hang in the initramdisk. I did NOT yet
> upgrade to ext4 or grub2.
>
> Booting with safe mode reveals that it could not find my main partition
> (which contains my now Karmic installation).

When you are in the rescue mode, there are 2 places to look for trouble.

/etc/fstab

controls where the system looks for partitions when it starts. If the
karmic install did something to "fiddle" those, to change from naming
drives by to /dev/sda5 style to a LABEL style, or to the newer UUID
style, then it could account for the trouble.

The other place to look is in the grub configuration. In /boot/grub,
there is a file menu.lst. If you did the karmic install, then the
install of the new kernel would have fiddled this file. Look for a
stanza like this:

title Ubuntu 9.04, kernel 2.6.28-16-generic
uuid d68ef8a9-147d-4ada-8895-3667163fee11
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.28-16-generic
root=UUID=9c537cc1-85be-4b8a-86b1-c6ff9e9928ba ro quiet splash
initrd /initrd.img-2.6.28-16-generic
quiet

In my laptop, you can see the system has used the uuid specifiers to
figure out where everything is. If your install somehow damaged that,
or got it wrong, then you need to fix it.

This all begs the question, how did you install karmic without getting
the new grub? Perhaps that is at the heart of the trouble.

> Booting into a second karmic system on the sda2 reveals that sda1 is
> indeed not visible any more:
>
> $ ls -la /dev/disk/by-uuid
> total 0
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 80 Oct 30 09:22 .
> drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 120 Oct 30 09:22 ..
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Oct 30 09:22
> 500a11a1-86bd-4609-96ca-78797dfb772b -> ../../sda5
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Oct 30 09:22
> b17e1aff-9f02-4fbd-81e5-9b1e6899baad -> ../../sda2
>
> Nevertheless, I can mount my main partition when I directly
> mount /dev/sda1 from the second installation, so the filesystem is
> intact.
>
> When I start "Palimpsest", it shows my first partition as "54 GB
> unrecognized", which is a bit startling.
>

> (also reported as https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/464411 )

Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science
1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504
University of Kansas

Old 10-31-2009, 07:21 PM
NoOp

On 10/31/2009 02:54 AM, Prabhat Tyagi wrote:
> 2009/10/31 Detlef Lechner <Detlef.Lechner@gmx.net>
>
>> Andreas Schildbach wrote:
>> > After upgrading of a working Jaunty to Karmic final, it would not boot
>> > into the system and instead hang in the initramdisk.

> Welcome
> Try to
> Run fschk command Hope this work

Please don't recommend that (just yet). I had an issue where karmic
decided (on it's own) that I wanted my home folder encrypted - I didn't.
When I booted it was unable to read my home folder & thinking that the
disk was messed up, I did an fsck & stupidly said yes to everything...
end result was that I had to reinstall. Luckily it was on a test machine
& had no valuable info on it.