Old 10-30-2009, 07:38 AM
Pierre Frenkiel

Default upgrade from 8.10 to 9.10

hi,
Is there a way to upgrade directly from 8.10 to 9.10?

in http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Karmic
they say:

"If you are using an older version of Ubuntu, you may wish to upgrade to Jaunty"

does "you may wish" means that it is mandatory?!

Furthermore , among the 3 proposed methods, 2 doesn't work (at least for me)

1/ It is possible to do a distribution upgrade using Synaptic by clicking on the "Full Upgrade option."
I dont see any "Full Upgrade" option in synaptic. Where is it hidden?

2/ Alternatively, use the update-manager (all editions)
that works

3/ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
This just gives me:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
gwenview kdegraphics
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
--
Pierre Frenkiel

Old 10-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Avi Greenbury

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:38:57 +0100 (CET)
Pierre Frenkiel <pierre.frenkiel@laposte.net> wrote:

> hi,
> Is there a way to upgrade directly from 8.10 to 9.10?
>
> does "you may wish" means that it is mandatory?!

I have in the past skipped an upgrade with an apt-get dist-upgrade, but
it's generally recommended against (by all the apt distros AFAIK), and
isn't supported by anyone.

I think it *can* work, but it's incredibly difficult to predict whether
it will or not. Without good reason not to, I'd go the long way round.
You can use apt-pinning to install a 9.10 package if there's something
you need *now*, but 8.10->9.04->9.10 really doesn't need to take that
long. Assuming infinite bandwidth allowance.

> 3/ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I've not viewed the webpage, but for apt-get dist-upgrade to work you
need to have edited /etc/apt/sources.list to use the 9.04 (or 9.10)
repos, not the 8.10 ones.

An
apt-get install aptitude apt-get dpkg

Is often recommended before a dist-upgrade. It's in all the Debian
release notes, where apt-get dist-upgrade is still the 'official'
upgrade path (actually, I think it's aptitude dist-upgrade).

--
Avi Greenbury
http://aviswebsite.co.uk