Old 10-30-2009, 01:56 AM
dean

Default Boot Menu

Question I just installed Ubuntu 9.10

And how the heck do I get to my boot menu, it just comes up with that
logo straight away?

Old 10-30-2009, 02:32 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 12:56 AM, dean <deanubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Question I just installed Ubuntu 9.10
>
> And how the heck do I get to my boot menu, it just comes up with that
> logo straight away?

If you are using Grub2 you probably have to

Edit /etc/default/grub

uncomment GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT like this:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 qq
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT="10"
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

then run sudo update-grub

--
L M Nicolosi, Eng.
Lat.: 2334'4.79"S - Long.: 4639'59.53"W

Old 10-30-2009, 02:44 AM
dean

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 12:56 AM, dean <deanubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Question I just installed Ubuntu 9.10
>>
>> And how the heck do I get to my boot menu, it just comes up with that
>> logo straight away?
>>

> If you are using Grub2 you probably have to
>
> Edit /etc/default/grub
>
> uncomment GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT like this:
>
> GRUB_DEFAULT=0
> #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 qq
> GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
> GRUB_TIMEOUT="10"
> GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
> GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
>
> then run sudo update-grub

Thanks for that Lucio truly appreciate it

Old 10-30-2009, 02:59 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 1:44 AM, dean <deanubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for that Lucio truly appreciate it

Glad it worked, I'm having a hard time with grub2.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:03 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 1:44 AM, dean <deanubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

>> If you are using Grub2 you probably have to
>>
>> Edit /etc/default/grub
>>
>> uncomment GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT like this:
>>
>> GRUB_DEFAULT=0
>> #GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 qq
>> GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true

>> then run sudo update-grub

Of course you already noticed, but just for the record please read
"comment" and not "uncomment"

L.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:46 AM
David Curtis

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 13:56:48 +1100
dean <deanubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:

> Question I just installed Ubuntu 9.10
>
> And how the heck do I get to my boot menu, it just comes up with that
> logo straight away?

IIRC hold down shift during boot, or at least right-shift, possibly
either.