Old 10-30-2009, 01:43 AM

Default boot loader not installed (solved)

Ok, finally got it to work. In the midst of all the troubleshooting today, the final 9.10 was released. Since I had never even booted into the old install, I cut my losses and reinstalled with a freshly downloaded copy. This had the exact same problem and would not boot so my hopes that this would be fixed in the release version were not realized. Then I found this document:

http://grub.enbug.org/BIOS_Boot_Partition

It talks about setting aside space for grub to install itself on the raid in a special partition with the boot flag set. It says that if grub sees such a partition it will automatically install itself there thus overwriting whatever was there before. So here is what I did:

Fired up the live cd. Ran the partitioner directly. I wiped all the old partitions from the drive.

I made an extended partition using the entire drive

I made a small ext4 logical partition (the instruction says no file system is needed but I took no chances) using the minimum 8MB

*** The example command given on the howto page DID NOT WORK. Just right click the partition after it is created and select Flag->boot

Made an ext4 partition for the root fs.

Made a 8GB swap partition and a 8GB ext4 /tmp partition

I committed the changes and let the partitions be formatted

I started the installer

At the partitioning section I set the small 8MB partition as "unused" by highlighting it and clicking "Change"

I assigned the mount points for the other partitions and left the format unchecked since that was just done.

At the Summary screen that displays before the copy process starts, I clicked "Advanced." Here you have to select the boot partition.

* Here were two new options I did not have before

** /dev/mapper/nvidia_fhgbbaae (dmraid)

** /dev/mapper/nvidia_fhgbbaae (linear)

I overrode (hd0) which had always failed, and selected /dev/mapper/nvidia_fhgbbaae (linear)

* for this choice I assumed that the dmraid option would depend on the raid being mounted properly and the linear method would keep it simple.

Then I clicked forward to let the installation commence. When it was finished I opened a file manager and looked in the new file system at /target/boot/grub/. Where it had always been empty before, now it had 13 files in it.

These included default, device.map, menu.lst, stage1, stage2, etc. I immediately recognized these as files other troubleshooting howtos had referenced. Also encouraging was the device.map containing this entry:

(hd0)*** /dev/mapper/nvidia_fhgbbaae

It is possible that leaving the (hd0) in the advanced setting earlier would have worked with this value being set. It had never been set before. But there is no guarantee that it would not have chosen the dmraid option and that it would still have worked.

Here is the entry in menu.lst that makes this work.

title*** *** Ubuntu 9.10, kernel 2.6.31-14-generic

root*** *** (hd0,5)

kernel*** *** /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic root=/dev/mapper/nvidia_fhgbbaae6 ro quiet splash

initrd*** *** /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-14-generic

Before rebooting, I opened a terminal for good measure and typed

# sudo update-grub

Then I rebooted and everything worked. The caveat is that my Vista boot loader is on hd1, which is the default in my bios. To boot linux I have to hit escape to manually select the boot drive. I can change that any time by modifying the order of preference. I only mention that in case someone follows this method and sets their raid as the boot drive as I did but forgets that they were actually booting from their Windows or old OS drive. Grub added an entry for Windows on the boot menu but I haven't tested it yet. After I do, I will switch the boot order.

I now have a fully functioning Ubuntu 9.10

Thanks for all who offered assistance especially Tom and Goh Lip. It was the documents you guys pointed out that led me to the fix. You also taught me a lot about grub on the way.* Thanks.

John